Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have done that drill. We called it the heart attack drill. It definitely pays to be able to shoot between the heartbeats.
    Scott Vandiver
    NRA Training Counselor
    Private Security Instructor
    Www.centerfiretraining.com

Another fun one:

Cut a small "window" in your cardboard target. Shoot through the window to hit a steel beyond it (as I recall the steel was 300ish yards).

The assignment was to shoot from whatever position and with whatever equipment you wanted. Most of the guys shot from prone, most used bipods, a few used bags or tripods. I grabbed a buddy and braced my rifle on him.

Fun little drill. Most of the guys made first round hits.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Another fun one:

Cut a small "window" in your cardboard target. Shoot through the window to hit a steel beyond it (as I recall the steel was 300ish yards).

The assignment was to shoot from whatever position and with whatever equipment you wanted. Most of the guys shot from prone, most used bipods, a few used bags or tripods. I grabbed a buddy and braced my rifle on him.

Fun little drill. Most of the guys made first round hits.
    This was a fun one for me too. 320-330 yards IIRC, involving coinciding the far zero on target with the near zero at the loophole. I was impressed how many guys made first round hits on this one, from sitting, squatting, or kneeling positions.

What an excellent class this was! I've been shooting rifles since I was a kid, and still learned a lot in this class, including how I was doing some things wrong. Really getting squared up behind the rifle was a big one for me; what I thought was squared up really wasn't, Dave Sauer's instruction on that was really appreciated. With Dave's instruction, Brent and I (teamed up) were both able to make solid hits on the 1,015 yard silhouette. My 16" AR in 5.56 was difficult to hit with at that distance (rounds were going subsonic) but my 6.5 Creedmoor was pretty consistent.

I've long been a fan of Leupold scopes for their light gathering in hunting conditions, along with light weight and large eye box, but didn't know about all the testing they endure; Buck's presentation was enlightening. The night shoot was a blast.

David, great pictures, keep them coming!

Unrelated to the class itself, but posting here to maybe help someone get their rifle sorted out - I looked through some of the recovered range brass, and whoever was shooting Federal ammo in a semi-auto 308, your rifle appears to be pretty overgassed, it's almost tearing rims off the brass during extraction. If you can tune the gas system down a bit, it will shoot softer and the gun will live longer. If that's you, PM me if you need help getting it tuned right.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Unrelated to the class itself, but posting here to maybe help someone get their rifle sorted out - I looked through some of the recovered range brass, and whoever was shooting Federal ammo in a semi-auto 308, your rifle appears to be pretty overgassed, it's almost tearing rims off the brass during extraction. If you can tune the gas system down a bit, it will shoot softer and the gun will live longer. If that's you, PM me if you need help getting it tuned right.
    I suspect that was Jeff & Jeff. I don't believe they are on the board. Both were running DPMS rifles, and both were dissatisfied with them.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I suspect that was Jeff & Jeff. I don't believe they are on the board. Both were running DPMS rifles, and both were dissatisfied with them.
    That's who I was thinking it was. They were also shooting federal match ammo.
    "So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people." - Tecumseh

Man we had a lot of Jeffs in that class!
    Last edited by Yondering; 10-06-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Man we had a lot of Jeffs in that class!
    At dinner one night we had three Jeffs at the table!
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Re three Jeffs, I knew this guy who was an SR71 pilot and he told me that when (late Cold War) they met with CIA guys for pre-mission briefings, ALL of the CIA guys were named/introduced as "Bob"

OK, my pictures aren't nearly the quality of David Sauer's but I'll share a few anyway.

The range, viewed from top of the hill near the classroom

Brent on the firing line; not sure what he's doing, probably preparing to kill targets with his mind.

Instructor Dave getting us up to speed on the fundamentals

Lawdog and Jim (sorry, forgot your screen name) found a sweet hide for one of our field exercises. There were snakes, but those guys ate them.

Targets were arrayed along the road leading away from the 100 yard line, all the way out to 1 mile.

Shooter/spotter teams were a core element of this class. Working with a great friend and shooting partner was one of my favorite aspects of this course; we got in sync pretty well and will continue to practice these skills as we shoot together in the future.

Those white targets really popped out at sunset, but shooting in the failing light after sunset was a lot of fun.

A wretched hive of scum and villany