Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Can't Always Choose Your Fight - Lesson In Patrol Rifle Skills Set

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick K View Post
    We teach our guys,suppressive fire is a military tactic, whereas "directed fire" falls into our ROE and approved agency / attorney general guidelines.

Kind of gets me thinking about an idea I had, where patrol rifle would be locked in vehicle rack, and a scoped out upper in a hard case to be swapped as needed. Would it have to be re-zeroed after swapping?
    I know that an agency out here does "directed fire" where they put rounds into the eves of the house in order to suppress a target, much like the military would put rounds through every window and door. Not a great option but still an option.

As for the scoped upper, as long as the scope stays on that upper, there's no need to rezero just because you swapped uppers. Unless, of course, you drive down dirt roads all day and the scope and upper just bounce around the whole time. Then it might not be a terrible idea. But if it's cased and protected, you should be able to swap and go. That also brings up the dilemma of being able to get to the trunk and having the time to swap uppers. Could be an immediate action (IA) drill you train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people." - Tecumseh

Good to know about the upper, and yes, definitely need to run drills to perfect the system. As for the directed fire, almost exactly like the military tactic...with the exception of not throwing rounds at the entire target, we direct the fire to threats location, like the window he was just presenting from, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterb View Post
    As for the scoped upper, as long as the scope stays on that upper, there's no need to rezero just because you swapped uppers. Unless, of course, you drive down dirt roads all day and the scope and upper just bounce around the whole time. Then it might not be a terrible idea. But if it's cased and protected, you should be able to swap and go. That also brings up the dilemma of being able to get to the trunk and having the time to swap uppers. Could be an immediate action (IA) drill you train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Basically this is what I would run with in my trunk if I were rifle qualified and on the job. Its a stock pic so I wouldn't have the pistol, EO Tech, or magnifier, and if it was authorized the upper would be a 10.5" with Aimpoint and the light would be mounted. The precision upper would have the bipod attached as well.

Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Who does this thread apply to? Islam, funded BLM types, ranchers, common thugs, mental cases, pyros E&E ing from Alberta/Calif. fires or Soros type funded activists or even gubmnt started crises actors.?
    I prefer aimed fire and an honest AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by manco5 View Post
    Who does this thread apply to? Islam, funded BLM types, ranchers, common thugs, mental cases, pyros E&E ing from Alberta/Calif. fires or Soros type funded activists or even gubmnt started crises actors.?
    I believe the OP's original question applied to LEO options concerning a skilled marksman at a respectable distance.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

It applies to LEOs, but is equally applicable to anyone. The point of the thread wasn't the sort of suspect or situation, but the notion that you must make do and be proficient with the tool you possess at the time the stars align and you get placed in the position of opportunity.
    Last edited by JonathanNobody; 08-31-2016 at 07:13 PM.

All of the above?

So what is your issue?

It applies to anyone of any color, political ideology, or religious ideology that wants to use violence on innocent people. Please don't turn into a militia-tin-foiled hat guy. I really have not the patience for it. As for fire...I will take any fire, called anything it needs to be called, to keep me an mine alive and my enemies dead.

This is as honest an AAR as I have read.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

OOoops. No I did not re-read the op. As an old CCW confused without LEO affiliation I pictured myself as being shot at from a distance. Only one choice remained cover and return fire to totally stop incoming fire. Shoot and move to other cover. No backup just me.

The dishonest published AARs are a daily occurrence with the media.

Drills, research/learning as standard SI operations are the best answer to this op as local managements are all cost/liability driven.
    Last edited by manco5; 09-02-2016 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Re-reading the thread I needed to clarify 1st reply.

Just one final reason for tonight why basic rifle skills might be necessary for the SI student.