Default CRG-2 with Steve Collins AAR

CRG-2 Instructor: Steve Collins

Day 1

We started the day with a quick overview of the lesson plan as well as the context of what we would be covering and the mindset needed. It was also made very clear that we were encouraged to stop and ask questions throughout the course.

Upon entering the range we used a 5 shot warm up drill as a skill assessment with the emphasis placed on accuracy. Each shooter was evaluated and input/corrections were made as needed.

We thoroughly covered so much material in such a short amount of time it would be very difficult to list everything and even more difficult to do so in the proper order in which it was covered. With that in mind I'll just cover a few of my main takeaways. These points would have either been new concepts , have supported previous training, have clarified the steps of the techniques I've already been doing, or were a better way of doing things than I've been taught in the past. Drills included but were not limited to, The 3 count draw, moving and shooting with both hands in addition to left or right hand only, after action assessment, flashlight usage, moving and shooting different directions, ect.

Key takeaways from Day 1.
    Taping over the front and rear sights but using the “metal on meat” approach still offered hits on target.

The After Action Assessment, is not a “scan” and calling it such is not giving it the proper credit. I feel its the best way I've been taught to evaluate your surroundings and yourself after a shooting.

Shoot them in the face.

Neck index flashlight technique,a new concept for me , I found to prefer it over the Harries technique I've been using.

Shoot them in the face.

When shooting single handed, grip the non-firing hand tight and against the body as both hands tend to do the same thing you're ensuring a good hard grip on the weapon as well.

Shoot them in the face.

“Bad guys get tunnel vision too.”

“In a gunfight the goal is to not get shot”

A few times throughout the day during or after the drill was complete my weapon was empty as was my reload. Every time this happened Steve handed me a round to put in my pistol and made it clear I was never to holster an unloaded weapon. This conviction of his was noted and seen in other ways throughout the day.

The day ended with a 5 shot cool down with the emphasis on accuracy followed by some question answer time.

Day 2

The day started with the 5 shot warm up with the emphasis on accuracy. We quickly reviewed movement, After Action Assessment and then into new material. The tone of the teaching was very much the “crawl, walk, run” approach. Many of these drills have a lot of moving parts. Steve would do a great job explaining what he wanted from us, he would show us how to do it, we would run it dry (non-firing) then slow with firing only after asking if we were comfortable, then we would run the drill a little faster with a strong emphasis on doing it correctly and making good hits. At no time during the two days can I remember a time where we students were unsure of what was being asked of us to perform. If we made mistakes throughout the day he noticed and corrected them. Drills included but not limited to, multiple targets, turning into movement and shooting, contact distance shooting with blocks, contact distance shooting with strikes and moving, Istanbul drill, moving and making head shots, transitions from right to left hand,

Key takeaways from day 2.
    “The middle of the a gunfight is a bad place to learn new skills”.

“Shoot until you're not afraid anymore”.

The importance of making and keeping a training journal with goals.

The threats we face today are different than 20 years ago, we need to stay current.

Aggression isn’t enough, you have to be the apex predator.

Moving and shooting quickly and accurately is a obtainable and necessary skill.

We finished the shooting for the day with the 5 shot cool down group with an emphasis on accuracy. Immediately after we were done shooting Steve made a comment that I've never heard a instructor say in the almost 10 years I've been attending training, “you guys are ready”. To say that left an impression with me is an understatement.

Overall impressions.

The curriculum was very polished and well put together. Never did I feel the class got away from the instructor, he kept control over the class the entire time. I left feeling that Steve Collins is an above average instructor, the curriculum was solid and practical, most importantly I fell better prepared having gone.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

Nice. Great curriculum + Great Instruction and Coaching = Awesome Class!

It was great to have you guys in class! Everyone worked hard, stayed engaged, asked questions, and I think everyone learned a lot about the guns they were running!

CRG-2 is the basis for everything we do at Suarez International. If you haven't been, you need to get there ASAP. If you haven't been in awhile, you should attend again. Thanks to everyone who came, I hope to see you all again down the road.

Suarez International Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    MO State CCW Instructor

http://www.suarezinternationalstore....x?find=collins

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee! For hates sake I spit my last breath at thee! "-Capt. Ahab, "Moby Dick"

"Feelings" are for losers.

Just a little follow up.

Over the last few months of digesting and practicing what I took away from CRG-2 has left me with a greater appreciation for both the curriculum and the instructor.

Also I have gained a deeper understanding of some of the context of things said around here. I'm sincerely greatful for having attended the class with Mr. Collins and the data base we have here at WT.

I guess what I'm getting at I wanted to say thank you Steve. Your class has left an impression on me, challenged me, and I'm better for it.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

Thank you, very much. The fact that you made the effort to post again so long after the class is both humbling and gratifying.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    MO State CCW Instructor

http://www.suarezinternationalstore....x?find=collins

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee! For hates sake I spit my last breath at thee! "-Capt. Ahab, "Moby Dick"

"Feelings" are for losers.

I headed down for the course in mid 2015. Even being solely a pistol guy background wise, the course left me with ways to break typical training scars and how to start thinking realistically instead of pretending I was in a gun commercial. The mantra that stuck with me: Shooting itself is the easiest part of it all. Trust the fundamentals, and start pushing further instead of sweating perfect alignment. Most importantly, students were told how to start using the concepts immediately and how to implement this into their daily routines and preparations...That's the difference between a 'Shoot some rounds and pose for a picture' weekend and a real education.