Default AAR ARG3 with Randy Harris Lewisburg TN July 2016

I would like to have posted this sooner, but I needed a few days to digest the ridiculous amount of info that is laced throughout this two day course. I first would like to thank Gabe for putting together such a solid curriculum, Randy Harris for being able to communicate these skillsets to a wide range of persons, and member BDC for doing the leg work to put the class together. Also, thanks to Billy for providing access to the range and for cooking lunch on Saturday.

This was not my first Suarez course and I should have been better prepared. I showed up with a non-zeroed rifle and ultimately struggled with it over the bulk of the course. There is a reason for this, but at this point it doesnít matter and is just an excuse for poor planning on my part. Lesson learned! We spent sometime early on verifying zeros, and everyone was squared away but me. Randy spent some time trying to help, but it was too far off and was taking time away from the others, so we moved on. Towards the end of the 2nd day I made the decision to switch to a much heavier backup that the optic was zeroed on. I should have just manned up and started with this 10lb plus beast. Everyone was running an AR of some flavor. There was one Suarez 10.5 pistol and one 300Blackout rifle present. There was a mix of red dots, low power variables, and myself running iron sights.

Dry fire and dry practice drills were the order for the first few hours. We worked reloads, malfunction evaluation/clearing, positional shooting and simple forward movement. You tend to learn really quickly whether your chest rig/war belt is set up properly when you perform multiple mag changes with retention at a jog.

We broke for some tasty local beef and some shade. Temps were in the mid 90ís and humidity had to be north of 1000 given how soaking wet all of us were.

After lunch, live fire started with a quick zero check. We worked anywhere from pistol range to about75 yards out. We spent a lot of time on non-dominant hand fire. If we ran a drill right handed itís a good bet we ran it left handed too. Transitions to opposite shoulder and to pistol were covered with good depth and context. The Suarez method for slinging a rifle in order to access your sidearm is too simple to be tactical. It just makes good sense.

Getting off the X to the sides, forward oblique and rearward oblique with a rifle is much like what is taught with pistol. Explode off of the X and get lead downrange NOW! This finished up the first day due to some substantial lightning that was in the area.

Sunday morning started early and painfully with rifle retention and an intro to 0-5ft fighting with a rifle. Often overlooked by many training companies, I find this portion of the class very important. How do you get someone off of you or your rifle when shooting them isnít really an option at the time? This is exceedingly fun stuff. I think a few of us had a little too much fun. I think a good takeaway from this section of training is: Most adults are not comfortable being hands on and in other peopleís space. Get out and start training in something that will get you used to hard physical contact with another human being. The what and how has been covered many times on the forum.

The rest of Sunday was spent running drills in various combinations movement, position, manipulation, transition, etc.. at various ranges. We were introduced to team tactics, team communication and movement in pairs/trios. If youíve never experienced the amount of energy that can be put down range by an aggressive small team, it is something to behold.

We finished up the day with some competitive drills that tied everything together. The competition added some stress to the mix as did the physical requirements. I believe the description of this class says it will leave you gasping for breath and with a smoking barrel. It doesnít lie.

Randy, made time for us to sample a wide range of otherrifles as a battlefield pickup finale.

This has to be one of the best values in rifle training in the world. I canít imagine how anyonec ould provide this level of instruction at three times the cost.The only thing that would have made it better is if those that couldnít make it were able to. They truly missed out. Thanks again Gabe and Randy, keep up the good work!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Suarez International Rifle Gunfighting 3: Advanced Rifle Gunfighting with Randy Harris is a little like RGF-2, but on Dianabol. You cover some similar topics, but at a faster pace with more challenges thrown in. It also includes some material that RGF-2 didnít have time to cover, such as 0-5 feet gunfighting with a rifle.

We started this class, just like every class Iíve taken with Randy, running some dry drills. We practiced reloading our rifles while walking down the range, then jogging, then running. Of course, since this is the Advanced Rifle Gunfighting course, we also practiced it at a fast walk with our eyes closed. This was an incredibly helpful drill that Iím going to keep practicing on my own. It helps you become very efficient with your reloads and weapon manipulations, and itís also practical preparation if you ever need to reload in a low-light situation.

Ambidexterity was a major theme of this course. EVERYTHING that we did right-handed, we did with our left. We even practiced prone, kneeling and sitting positions left-handed. Ambidexterity with a rifle is required if you want to master the weapon, and this course taught us the skills necessary to achieve that. We also practiced some longer-distance shooting. Itís not as likely that weíll need to shoot someone with a rifle at 100 yards, but itís still an important skill set to master.

Of course, we spent a decent amount of time exploding off the X from all angles. This is a staple in almost every SI course, and in my opinion, itís the most important skill to master with any firearm. Randy showed us a couple techniques to move off the X faster while working in some vertical displacement, which makes it harder for your opponent to shoot you. He also showed us that while exploding off the X while shooting is ideal, it wonít work as well at longer distances. To compensate for that, we practiced exploding off the X, then stopping to put shots on target at 25 yards.

We also spent time working on 0-5 feet with a rifle, which was my favorite part of the course. We focused on weapon retention techniques, as well as how to employ our pistol or knife if our rifle is inaccessible. Randy taught us some things that I initially found to be a little counter-intuitive, but they made sense after he explained the why behind them. This class convinced me to take his CRG-5: 0-5 Feet Gunfighting course.

A portion of the course was spent practicing team tactics. We drilled fire and movement both dry and live. It made me realize that if you have a group of 2-4 people who know what theyíre doing, you can be a very formidable force.

We finished the course with some friendly competition, combining a number of the skills weíd learned with some sprinting to increase the stress, then wrapped up the session with a battlefield pickup portion. I enjoyed the chance to shoot some rifles that Iíd never previously handled. Randy brought a number of foreign rifles, and getting a chance to handle and shoot them was invaluable.

This was a great class that allowed me to further hone my skill with a rifle. Itís probably not the best course to take if you donít have much experience shooting guns. However, if youíve already taken a rifle class or an SI pistol class, it will be a perfect fit for you. I definitely recommend the course.