Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Airsoft BB Traps for Home

These are my home-made airsoft BB traps. I reuse cardboard boxes and cut a hole approximately 7x10. Next I cover the hole with standard paper using spray glue. The black dot is a 2" sticker. Combine different box sizes to create human shaped targets.

I hang them from the floor joists using wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thomas N. Fuller II

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Uncle Rudy's Indoor Firing Range Instructor

Only suggestion I would have is get actual bad guy targets or make copies of the latest mug shots/photos from recent events. Helps in the mindset category!!
    Last edited by Dark One; 06-26-2016 at 09:28 PM.
    There is going to be a battle. People will die.
    SI Classes: AK marksmanship,AKRG, Defensive Knife, FOF

Yes, I considered target overlays and that would work just fine. You could still use the 8 1/2 x 11 paper replacement idea on the body.

The main point of the (any) paper is the hole you cut behind it. I found at low gas I was getting a lot of ricochet. Also for the heads, I use some filler material inside for trapping.

To be clear this is not about reusing the bbs.

It's about not having 5000 bbs on your floor. Those little bastards go everywhere.
    Thomas N. Fuller II

NRA Range Safety Officer

Are you shooting to practice "fundamentals" or CQB Tactics or_____? If its fundamentals (sight alignment, trigger pull, etc), then I dont see any point to silhouette targets-in fact just the opposite. Frankly I question AIRSOFT as a tool for shooting fundamentals, because of its inconsistencies OTOH real airguns (spring pellet guns) are a great tool for fundamentals.

If you are looking for CQB practice and are wanting to stop the plastic BBs from bouncing, then you need to have the BBs strike a hanging blanket that funnels into a large box on the floor. Open the back of the box, so the BBs fire through the box and hit the blanket. Its also not a bad idea to put a blanket on the floor to catch any BBs that escape the funnel. The floor blanket isnt as slippery or "bouncy" as the hard floor, plus it allows you to pick up the four corners at the end of the shooting session and collect all the BBs. Ive also heard of folks who coat the inside of the cardboard box with a thick coating of rubber cement--sticky is good.

Default Airsoft BB Traps for Home

No - not for marksmanship fundamentals for reasons you stated.

I use these for working gunfighting fundamentals. That's why they get hung from floor joists in the middle of the basement - I can work 360 around them.

Thomas N. Fuller II

NRA Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by tfullerpipes View Post
    No - not for marksmanship fundamentals for reasons you stated.

I use these for working gunfighting fundamentals. That's why they get hung from floor joists in the middle of the basement - I can work 360 around them.
    Well then Id definitely go with the blanket on the floor. Id also seriously consider the blanket "back stop". Yep it means you cant go 360; it also aids clean up

Maybe it's the CO2 gun I use but the BB's go right thru cardboard box. I built a trap a while back made using a hard plastic bin and lined it with foam to help catch the BB's. Some of the BB's still broke thru the plastic.

I've since bought a couple gel traps from Walmart and put up a silouette target on my wall in the garage. One target placed over the chest and a smaller target placed over the head... This set up has worked much better.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

The only problem I see with the blanket on the floor idea, is that my bbs are never under the target. If they are bouncing, they are bouncing clear across the room. I'd have to blanket the entire basement. Never heard of the gel traps, but then again, I've only owned an airsoft pistol for a few months. I had no idea what was out there, but what I did know is that I had a lot of cardboard boxes, tape, and sheets of paper.

I'd love to keep hearing more ideas on how users integrate/manage airsoft into their home-based training.

(And not slip and fall due to the bbs. )

Thanks
    Thomas N. Fuller II

NRA Range Safety Officer

Seriously dude, try the blanket back stop. You could also try a canvas or plastic tarp or paint drop cloth?

I used to shoot rubber and wax bullets (powered by just the primer and press fitted into the case). Im pretty sure they hit harder than AIRSOFT(?). We hung an old Army blanket behind the target. The blanket worked because its NOT a hard surface. Eventually we wore a thin spot in the blanket, so we just readjusted the target/blanket placement

I'll give the blanket a try with the open back boxes. I think a multi-pack of spring clamps would be good for adjusting and re-positioning the blanket around the basement. Thanks Edelweiss.
    Thomas N. Fuller II

NRA Range Safety Officer