Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I did have to shoot a couple dogs in my copper days. People would hear a bump in the night, call the cops and let out the dogs.

We had a crazy lady who lived next to my old elementary school who had at least a dozen German Shepards. The school was closed and donated to the Boro for a Municipal building. I used to park and walk the perimeter every night. One night she let the dogs out.

Choirboy

Not sure of your AO, but if you discharge a weapon in the city limits you can be fined in most cities... It's hard to critique situations without being there personally. I think by being alert, moving to engage and separate them, and having pistol in hand at the ready; you made the right call.

I'd make sure you keep an eye out for those dogs in the near future, they'll probably be back to investigate what they missed out on. Have you seen them in the neighborhood before? Can you go talk to the owners about keeping them restrained?
    T W O T U Since October 2012

Quote Originally Posted by OmahaTacticalTrng View Post
    Not sure of your AO, but if you discharge a weapon in the city limits you can be fined in most cities... It's hard to critique situations without being there personally. I think by being alert, moving to engage and separate them, and having pistol in hand at the ready; you made the right call.

I'd make sure you keep an eye out for those dogs in the near future, they'll probably be back to investigate what they missed out on. Have you seen them in the neighborhood before? Can you go talk to the owners about keeping them restrained?
    Unfortunately I didn't recognize them. If I did the owner and I would have a talk for sure.

I do live in a "city" (we have 3 stop lights and 2 gas stations and are protected by the county sheriff but hey! we're incorporated! :-/ ) and it is illegal to discharge a weapon within limits. But that doesn't apply to legitimate self defense shootings does it?

I know that direction they came from, but didn't go follow them home. Perhaps I should have. I did file a report with the sheriff. I figured maybe they were known problem animals in the area, or at the least if this happens again to me or someone else there will be a record of it happening before.

Quote Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
    I did have to shoot a couple dogs in my copper days. People would hear a bump in the night, call the cops and let out the dogs.

We had a crazy lady who lived next to my old elementary school who had at least a dozen German Shepards. The school was closed and donated to the Boro for a Municipal building. I used to park and walk the perimeter every night. One night she let the dogs out.

Choirboy
    That sounds like an unpleasant experience. A literal pack of German shepherds vs 1 officer. How did that turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    Unfortunately I didn't recognize them. If I did the owner and I would have a talk for sure.

I do live in a "city" (we have 3 stop lights and 2 gas stations and are protected by the county sheriff but hey! we're incorporated! :-/ ) and it is illegal to discharge a weapon within limits. But that doesn't apply to legitimate self defense shootings does it?
    The laws are weird on shooting an animal in "self defense." My parents live in Oklahoma and were having a problem with coyotes in their backyard, fearing they'd grab one of their two small dogs or even attack them at night as they were out with the dogs. I called the Police non emergency line and asked about the legalities of shooting one within city limits and they told me that they were aware of the problems, and to call animal control. Any firearm discharge within the city limits could be issued a fine, and shooting an animal doesn't qualify as self defense... Those were their words, and I told me mom to just shoot the damn thing, turn out the light, and go back to bed. By the time the cops responded to a gunshot report, she'd be fast asleep.

I know that direction they came from, but didn't go follow them home. Perhaps I should have. I did file a report with the sheriff. I figured maybe they were known problem animals in the area, or at the least if this happens again to me or someone else there will be a record of it happening before.
    Good call on filing the report, maybe they'll get animal control out looking for them, or it will give you some defense if you do put one down.
    T W O T U Since October 2012

It's like this "In Know Nothing, I See Nothing ...I Hear Nothing" in my best Sgt. Shultz tone.

Or the "3-S's" of some situations.

Who gives a flying foxtrot about a fine if your child is in danger? OP, you done good. Your family is safe and you didn't have to shoot, call it a win. Side note, never ask a freaking PD for legal advise. If you ask a dispatcher what the legal course of action is you're already way behind the curve.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

TRAIN WITH PAYNE 2018

​CRG-1 Orange TX January 20-21, 2018

CRG-2 Orange TX March 10-11, 2018

Shotgun Gunfighting San Antonio TX April 14-15, 2018

GS-1 (modified) Kirbyville TX May 19-20, 2018

Apamburn,
    Killed lead dog, others stopped from the 357 blast. She was out on her porch, in a nightgown with boobs hanging below belly, and called them in. In retrospect I felt bad as a slug in the ground would probably had the same effect.

I really felt bad about shooting a dog on a home invasion call and it was the caller's dog.

Choirboy

ETA: There were times I drew on other dogs but it was as if the they had ESP and knew I would shoot or they may have been all bark -no bite.
    Last edited by choirboy; 05-30-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
    Apamburn,
    Killed lead dog, others stopped from the 357 blast. She was out on her porch, in a nightgown with boobs hanging below belly, and called them in. In retrospect I felt bad as a slug in the ground would probably had the same effect.

I really felt bad about shooting a dog on a home invasion call and it was the caller's dog.

Choirboy

ETA: There were times I drew on other dogs but it was as if the they had ESP and knew I would shoot or they may have been all bark -no bite.
    Hey there's an image I probably won't ever get out of my head lol.

.357 eh...sounds old school. Might be cool to hear some stories from the old days...but I digress.

Thanks everyone for helping me review my conduct. Comments and thoughts from everyone here seriously bear weight in my mind. Thanks for taking the time to share them.

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post

Yeah to be honest I have no idea whatsoever why I didn't drop the bottle. I definitely think I should have. No idea why I didn't.
    You didn't drop the bottle because you haven't conditioned yourself to drop what you are carrying OR to turn it into a defensive tool - situation dependent - when you are under stress and focused on a real potential threat.

Facing a potential lethal lethal threat is like approaching a Black Hole: If you haven't prepared for it in realistic ways and have base-line responses already programmed-in, everything you think you know changes once you are there.

We can think about "dropping the bottle" all we want, we can plan to "drop the bottle" all we want, we can role play to "drop the bottle" in no-/low-stress training all we want, but until we actually condition ourselves to automatically "drop the bottle" OR make it a defensive tool in a simulated high-stress encounter, we will likely never "drop the bottle" when we need to until way, WAY past the time we should have.

This is also why people that no one thinks should, botch cycling pump shotguns so often when the stress level goes up...why people 'forget' to do important things when the big 'it' happens to them (like move off the X)...or why they miss - cleanly - when the threat is inches off their muzzle.

It isn't unique to you. ALL of us have been there at some point. It's a dot on the learning curve and I imagine you will be better prepared next time.