Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Drew down tonight...

I'm not too High Speed Low Drag so this is the first time I have had to draw a weapon. It was not on a human, but on dogs.

Quick detail, pertinent to story: Our front porch and garage face North. The garage is on the West side of our house and our porch is recessed and on the East side of the house. In the driveway is my lifted jeep that prevented me from seeing the dogs coming down the street on the sidewalk (from west to east).

So this evening we ate dinner on the front porch watching an intermittent storm.

After the kids had eaten their dinner we sent my 5 year old daughter into the garage to grab a soda to share between her and my 3 year old son. As we were waiting two pitbulls came jogging - not quite running, but moving quickly - around the corner on the sidewalk. I saw them come around my jeep just as they stopped dead in their tracks, looking at my daughter who was standing at the open garage door, soda in hand.

They both started trotting towards my frozen daughter and I immediately stood up, drew, and pointed in, while I yelled and started moving towards her as well. They ignored me until I got on the steps to go down the porch, at which point they both turned to look at me briefly. I was a few feet from being exactly between them and her when the front most redirected his attention to my daughter, growled, and lunged as though he was going to close the remaining gap. I yelled one more time and threw my water bottle at him (which, for some reason, I brought with me????). If I hadn't had the bottle I would have fired.

Both ran and I didn't shoot anything.

So, critique me. Put yourself in the same position. What would you do? What did I do right? What did I do wrong?

- I stopped moving before getting fully between my daughter and the dogs. I was also concerned about my 3 year old son, 10 month old daughter, and wife to my right, but they weren't getting any attention from the dogs. I think I should have kept moving.

- I should have shot the dog. My yelling didn't stop it; fortunately for it the water bottle did. But the second it lunged - within 3-5 yards - at my daughter I should have shot it where it stood. My intent was that if throwing the bottle didn't scare it, and it continued moving / moved aggressively again, I would shoot. I think my mindset was right: I wasn't questioning whether or not to shoot: I was resolved to do so if my threshold was met; but I think my threshold was a little too...forgiving.

- While moving I only used a single handed hold on my handgun - it was easiest to move that way. Interestingly, even after throwing the bottle, I maintained a single handed hold. Never did go two handed. I'm not too dogmatic on using a 'particular' technique as long as it does the job so this doesn't chafe my rear too much. Just thought it was interesting.
    Last edited by apamburn; 05-29-2016 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Adding details I missed (again)

Any signs of aggression in animals are met with immediate shots, end of story.

I am glad you and your family are safe and well. Dogs move fast. A Pit bull on my property that doesn't run away to my yelling? I would have put them both down immediately.

^thanks for the kind thoughts. As I reviewed my conduct I came to this conclusion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindoc View Post
    I am glad you and your family are safe and well. Dogs move fast. A Pit bull on my property that doesn't run away to my yelling? I would have put them both down immediately.
    Agree with Huntindoc.

I also agree with your self-assessment. No act of aggression by any animal, especially a child should go unanswered. You were lucky.

In my practice, I draw to always empty my hands. Unless you are using a flashlight, or carrying a child, a threat eminent enough to require a draw should mean complete focus on the threat. In my opinion, the amount of time it took to throw the bottle was enough for the dog to have actually charged given the distance you described.... and in motion a more difficult target.

Im happy all is well. My wife and I had a stray dog situation once but I was already empty handed, so honestly, I couldnt say with 100% certainty that I would not have done the same....

On my property are many buried animal carcasses, but none are dogs. I dont want to end up having that argument with a neighbor...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
    One God, Yahweh.

I wasn't there, so I know I'm missing some off the undescribed "vibe" that can't come across in typing; that said, I don't understand why you stopped moving towards your daughter. Do you think you were subconsciously trying to prepare for a precision shot in proximity to a loved one? From what I read, my thoughts would be on getting to the child before the dogs and plan on near contact shots
    "It's a cold world, better pack your own heat!" - Redman

T
    WOTU Since

Quote Originally Posted by Moooks View Post
    I wasn't there, so I know I'm missing some off the undescribed "vibe" that can't come across in typing; that said, I don't understand why you stopped moving towards your daughter. Do you think you were subconsciously trying to prepare for a precision shot in proximity to a loved one? From what I read, my thoughts would be on getting to the child before the dogs and plan on near contact shots
    I was trying to block the dogs path to her. When I say I didn't reach her, I wonder if I should have moved her back into the garage - create space and all that. maybe a poorly drawn pic is worth a thousand words?

Capture+_2016-05-29-22-52-01.jpg

I was trying took passage between Jeep and wall into garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelveren View Post
    Agree with Huntindoc.

I also agree with your self-assessment. No act of aggression by any animal, especially a child should go unanswered. You were lucky.

In my practice, I draw to always empty my hands. Unless you are using a flashlight, or carrying a child, a threat eminent enough to require a draw should mean complete focus on the threat. In my opinion, the amount of time it took to throw the bottle was enough for the dog to have actually charged given the distance you described.... and in motion a more difficult target.

Im happy all is well. My wife and I had a stray dog situation once but I was already empty handed, so honestly, I couldnt say with 100% certainty that I would not have done the same....

On my property are many buried animal carcasses, but none are dogs. I dont want to end up having that argument with a neighbor...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
    Yeah to be honest I have no idea whatsoever why I didn't drop the bottle. I definitely think I should have. No idea why I didn't.

I agree with everything you said there and appreciate the kind thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    I was trying to block the dogs path to her. When I say I didn't reach her, I wonder if I should have moved her back into the garage - create space and all that. maybe a poorly drawn pic is worth a thousand words?

Capture+_2016-05-29-22-52-01.jpg

I was trying took passage between Jeep and wall into garage.

I see now. This is not what I initially envisioned. When I read your post I thought you stopped short of your child, but looking at your diagram (I see it taxed your artistic abilities to the fullest), I now see you positioned yourself between her and the dogs; looks good to me!
    "It's a cold world, better pack your own heat!" - Redman

T
    WOTU Since

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindoc View Post
    *Any* dog on my property that acts aggressive and doesn't respond to me yelling at it get shots. Pitbulls or otherwise.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.