Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default AN IMAGE WORTH 1000 WORDS

Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Is one preferred over the other, or is it situationally dependent? Gun v gun I could see being a 1 or 3 where gun v knife I personally would go with 5, but obviously I don't know if that is the "right answer" in this case.
    Greg Nichols- Who you are 5 years from now is directly related to the books you read, who you associate with, and how you spend your free time.

For a firearm wielding antagonist: The antagonist's swing angle is greater when you advance towards him on the 1:00 line. Stepping back laterally (5:00 line) requires less effort from the antagonist to keep you in his sights. Correct?

For a "hand-held" weapon: distance keeps you out of the antagonist's reach. Unless he has a lunge like Aldo Nadi...

Based on Mr. Suarez's initial sketch, I examined this further. Here it is by the numbers with parties at 9'-10" apart (arbitrary number).

swing angles 2.jpg
    Last edited by tfullerpipes; 05-20-2016 at 11:50 AM.
    Thomas N. Fuller II

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Uncle Rudy's Indoor Firing Range Instructor

You want to increase their tracking problem. You do this by creating as large a rate of change of angle as possible. Key is not amount of angular change. It is the rate at which the angle changes. The faster it does that, the greater their tracking problem.
    Si vis pacem, para violentus.

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."--Marshall Foch

When I began FOF training, my movement tended towards 10:00 and 2:00. With time and experience, those lines shifted to 11:00 and 1:00. Even with an attacker who knew that I was (a) moving, and (b) moving towards him, the sharper line was still a better strategy.
    Virtute et Armis

One also ideally moves towards the back of the attacking hand, as it makes it harder to track.
    Cory Trapp
    Gunsite Academy, Inc.

The first time you demonstrate the angles to someone, is eye opening. They look at you like its magic. Going to the back of the hand is harder to track and also puts you in a better position to take a knife/gun or be in a better position/angle to hit/shoot/stab them without giving them an equal opportunity to hit you.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryT View Post
    One also ideally moves towards the back of the attacking hand, as it makes it harder to track.
    Can you explain that a little more? In Gabe's drawing, if the attacker is right handed it looks like I am moving to the palm side of his hand.
    thanks
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    The first time you demonstrate the angles to someone, is eye opening. They look at you like its magic. Going to the back of the hand is harder to track and also puts you in a better position to take a knife/gun or be in a better position/angle to hit/shoot/stab them without giving them an equal opportunity to hit you.
    I meant to ask this question at CRG2, but it got lost in trying to absorb all the information. Should your default movement off the X always be to the back of the hand if possible?
    "Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"
    Thomas Jefferson

Seen on Bumper Sticker:
    I may be an old dog
    But I can still bury a bone

CRG2- 2016

The environment will often dictate your direction of travel. All things being equal it is easier to move to the outside line than the inside line. The rest...well...nothing is free. Want to learn my system, you need to train in my system...and it is that as Suarez Intl was the only company to train like this and at this level with these concepts. The historical record of data published online is easily traced.

To put it in perspective...I had the former owner of Gunsite working for me for a year doing various things. He had all the pistoleros working for him at one time or another. When he saw this being filmed in Advanced Close Range Gunfighting he said this - his words, "With your system, you could win against the vast majority fo gun men out there. Not only would you let them draw first, but you would still kill them. This is horribly unfair".
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters