Default AAR - CRG2 with Randy Harris

"Fighting vs Shooting"

My wife and I attended Randy's Close Range Gunfighting 2 this past weekend. I was a little concerned that starting out in CRG2 might be jumping into the deep end of the pool too soon, particularly for my wife, as this was her first formal training class, but Randy assured me that it would be no problem.

For some background, I'm former military with the bulk of my training there and some odds and ends training outside the service. My wife started concealed carrying about a year ago, and we both started competing in IDPA, Steel Challenge and some 3 gun about that time to help her gain some pistol experience. So, we were not starting from scratch. We had also watched Gabe's CRG videos and had a good idea of what to expect.

One of the things that most impressed me was that this class was not about Randy and all his accomplishments. His sole purpose there was to help us hone the skills that we might need in a deadly encounter. After a brief and modest introduction, Randy's focus was on the class and making us better. Randy teaches rather than preaches. He answered every question clearly and concisely with real data or experience to back up his answers.There was no "this is the way we do it" or 200 years of tradition unhampered by progress. Our class was a mix of experience, with some having attended multiple SI classes, to first timers. There were LEO's, military veterans and civilians. Randy handled all levels with equal attention and respect.

The class started with a safety briefing, which we have all heard many times before, but Randy broke them down to it's simplest form... Control your muzzle, control your trigger. In every single drill we performed safety was the first concern, and as IDPA safety officers, we could appreciate the attention to detail regarding safe gun handling. During one drill, our weapons were checked to be clear by 4 different people as well as the slides being taped prior to conducting the drill. Pairs were designated to render aid, clear the weapon or guide the ambulance if something did go wrong. Anyone who tells you that attending a Suarez class is unsafe because of the dynamic nature has not been there. Safety was foremost in every aspect.

Next was a valuable discussion of "Fighting vs Shooting". You might be a great shot, but if you cannot apply the fundimentals of shooting to fighting, then you will lose the fight. We were taught to "chunk" information so we could easily remember it later and incorporate it into our daily routines. If you have not seen it before, look up PESTS EAT FAST on WT. The amount of information was not like trying to take a sip out of a firehose, it was more like trying to sip out of a dam's discharge at flood stage. A week later we are still trying to absorb it all.

On day one, after the class discussions, we moved outside to employ our newfound knowledge of moving when a threat is present. After lunch, we hit the range and started out with pure markmanship, with each successive drill teaching us to move and shoot. The progression between drills was small, but effective with the focus on learning to do it right before moving on. Not a lot of rounds, but good rounds, fixing the little things.

Day two began in the classroom again. We discussed a very in depth look at pistol rounds and their supposed stopping power.The lesson learned was actually that shot placement is the key component of stopping power. Funny side note, ask Randy if saying mayonaise is effective stopping a sneeze! We revisited some of the key information from the previous day, and learned how to recognize and avoid trouble at a distance to give you time to do something pro-active instead of reactive.

We moved back to the range once more, but things moved a lot faster and you could see the improvement in the entire class. Shot placement tightened up and feet were moving with much more speed and authority. Randy's coaching was short, but precise. We shot at bad breath distance to distance where sight picture was important. Randy showed the class where it was critical to take the aimed shot, and where you get the shot off naturally. But most of all, he taught us to never stop moving. We also learned to perform the SI method of assessing the outcome of our action, checking our ammo, scanning for other threats, and checking ourselves for injury.

Our assessment was that this is Tier 1 training, for anyone. It did not matter what level you entered the class, there was something to learn or a skill to perfect. The class lived up to every expectation of an SI product. We spent the 6 hour ride home going over the material, talking about the things that we learned, and agreeing that Randy does an awesome job teaching Suarez Int'l methods. Watching Gabe's videos is definitely instructive, but to see those techniques live is priceless. A week later and we are still talking through all the new information Randy gave us.

Our next goal is to host a Force on Force class with Randy later this year (Mid Oct.) in NW Mississippi. Anyone interested, please PM me. Our evolution has begun...

There is no way that we could include even a small part of the education received during the two days with Randy here. We both would highly recommend that if you get the chance to train with Randy, do it! You won't be sorry.
    Last edited by balls004; 05-07-2016 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spacing
    "Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"
    Thomas Jefferson

Seen on Bumper Sticker:
    I may be an old dog
    But I can still bury a bone

CRG2- 2016