Hybrid View

Default AAR: Suarez Recce/DMR Rifle School - April 1-3, 2016 - Prescott, AZ

It is a glorious Arizona Spring Sunday morning and MCSO and I are attending the church of the rifle. The temps are in the low 50's and we are overlooking the rifle range to our West with great sunlight illuminating the hills from behind us. I have just finished sketching out a new range card. The previous night the instructors moved many of the steel targets around, painted some different colors, and opted to shift our shooting position back about 35 yards and up about 5 or 6 yards. That isn't that far, but the whole facility suddenly looks different.

MCSO is on the rifle and I am scanning for targets. Wait....is that one? It looks like a dark greyish green blob surrounded by slightly lighter grey green stuff way out in the distance, but a closer examination shows a couple of sharp straight lines and the color just doesn't quite match its surroundings. We have a target. I talk MCSO into the right area...we are staring down a narrow shooting lane with a hard stone wall on one side and a big bushy tree on the other. The target is there, but it is partially obscured by a large rock that covers the bottom 1/3rd to 1/2 of the steel. It won't be an easy shot given we have agreed to only shooting one round per target - they must all be first round hits...

MCSO slowly swaps position with me. This gives him a marginally better view of the target, but more importantly allows him to naturally align behind his rifle in the prone position. He is using his rucksack as a rifle rest. He tells me he is now on target and asks "any idea how far that is?". I tell him it is 263 yards. As he adjusts his elevation a bit, I silently think that my purchase of the pocket laser range finder may turn out to be one of my best purchases of 2015. MCSO settles in and I watch his breathing become regular. He looks like he could stay in that position forever. He whispers "On Glass", I get behind my rifle and will spot for him using my scope. I let him know that I'm "On Glass" as well. He then tells me he is "On Trigger". I whisper "Send it" and the shot rings out less than a second later. I see a splotch appear on the target perfectly centered at the junction of head and torso. It was the first target of this exercise and he center punched it at 263 yards. This process would be repeated again and again throughout the day and from other shooting positions. In one instance, MCSO would make a first round hit on a 12" square target at 340 yards.

What a day of worship at the church of the rifle

MCSO and I were privileged enough to attend SI's Recce/DMR school this past weekend. The course was outstanding and far exceeded expectations. This is a bit surprising since I have very high expectations of all SI courses. I expect expert teaching. I expect challenging courses of fire. I expect a low student to instructor ratio......I expect a lot of things. As I said, this course far exceeded those expectations. I'll elaborate on each of these expectations in kind:

1. I expect expert teaching - The course was taught by Gabe Suarez who was assisted by Jeromy Hasenkamp. Both of these individuals have Law Enforcement experience (Kamp's still being ongoing) with both having attended multiple sniper schools and have served in a police sniper capacity. They were knowledgeable about conducting precision shooting, the equipment needed to make precision shots at distance, and were articulate in conveying that knowledge to an eager group of students.

2. I expect challenging courses of fire - This was a precision rifle course. All of the students and instructors had full 'rifles' with magnified optics sitting on top. Many of these rifles had bipods. They were not tactical carbines optimized for CQB. That said, we were expected to snap shoot at 7, 10, 15, and 25 yard increments (CQB range) from ready positions with the expectation set that we would only make face shots. We were expected to 'get off the x' in reactive situations and center mass punch adversaries while moving off both the left and right shoulder. Minutes later, the expectation was that we would put 5 shots onto a 7/8ths inch orange dot at 100 yards. Oh yes, it was challenging. The expectation is that we would employ our rifles in any scenario that the SI team could think up from nearly spitting distance out to 350 yards. We were expected to be reactive, point shooting targets in one breath while making absolute precision shots at distance in the next. While definitely challenging, we had the instruction to allow us to do it successfully.

3. I expect a low student to instructor ratio - SI has always provided a low student to instructor ratio. The largest SI class I have ever attended had 20 students with 4 instructors. However, what could be better than that? This course was basically a 'private lesson'. Due to some last minute cancellations, there were only three true students attending the course. Combine this with two instructors and you have an unparalleled student to instructor ratio. Most schools would simply cancel the course and state that you can take it at another time. SI didn't do that. Instead, Gabe and team ran the course and 'filled in' the 'students' with employees. Therefore, we ended up with six students overall, as Mike Hekathorn, Bryan Miller and Josh (ShopMonkey) joined the course. It was awesome to get to know more of the SI team - they can all shoot.

In this course, we covered the following core items:

• Position Shooting (Prone, Sitting, Kneeling, Squatting, Standing, Partner Supported)
    • Fundamentals of Precision Shooting (Breathing, Body Position, Trigger Manipulation, Sight Alignment, Follow Through)
    • Equipment for Precision Shooting (Barrels, Triggers, Stocks, Optics, Slings, Rangefinders, Rucksacks, Bags, Wind Meters)
    • Reactive Shooting for CQB Distances (Snap Shooting, Shooting while getting off the X)
    • How to be a Good Spotter
    • Command Fire
    • Target Scanning and Identification
    • Making Range Cards

I'm sure that we did quite a bit more. For me, it was the perfect way to blend the knowledge acquired at last year's carbine camp with new knowledge about precision shooting and then be tasked with employing both.

Being such a small class, we moved very quickly. At the end of the first day, (which we all decided to call it 2 hours early as the AZ sun was doing its best to kill us) we had already completed all of the day 1 curriculum and half of the day 2 curriculum. Gabe would then reach out into the sniper curriculum in order to keep things moving and cover all three days. We also ended up shooting quite a bit more than we had planned. The original course design was around 200 rounds. We fired nearly that the first day. By the end of the course, each of us were at + or - 50 rounds from 500. For me, it was a great opportunity to get to know a rifle that had only been sighted in prior to start of class.

A Note on Rifles: The three 'true students' (non SI employees) all were using rifles built by SI or upper receivers built by SI. These rifles proved to be sub MOA accurate with multiple types of ammunition. In the case of MCSO, his rifle shot sub MOA with 62 grn M855 'green tip', 69 grn Federal Gold Medal Match, and 77 grn Gorilla Match Ammunition. His rifle is the Suarez Mk12. My rifle shot near MOA with all of the same ammunition types (I suspect that it wasn't always sub MOA due to me and not the rifle). Mine was a Suarez Super Recce. These rifles can shoot!

Overall it was an outstanding class and an outstanding value to get so much time and attention for the low price. I consider this to have been a great learning experience and 'tune up' for the Guerrilla Sniper courses taking place in Oregon later this year (if you have not signed up....you should do so soon...it is nearly full). I want to thank the SI team for, once again, making me more dangerous.
    “How can I shoot people? Shooting people is easy. It is the simple application of the fundamentals of marksmanship. The hard part is ensuring that I have the physical strength to prevail, the moral strength to know when it is right to kill, and the mental strength to articulate the aftermath such that I maintain my freedom while they experience what comes next in the afterlife.”

Thank you for this in-depth write-up.

Looks like bringing lots more ammo is a key to getting the most out of this course.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

In this case, having the extra ammunition was great as it let us extend and deepen the content of the course. That said, we were never dumping rounds downrange. I would say that the 'fastest' I was shooting was when doing displacement drills (getting off the x) and I was shooting 3 to 4 rounds per iteration. I think the deciding factor was the size of the class. The instructors would set up a scenario / event, be able to explain it just once given the small group. We would then all shoot it at the same time and then be ready to do the next scenario. It just moved so fast. Gabe really never had to say 'huddle up'...he could just stand between the six of us and talk normally.

I always recommend bringing more ammunition than called for. I generally bring an extra 50% to 100%. In this case, we went well beyond that. In the end, that was great as it gave MCSO and I the opportunity to try out the rifles with the 69 grain and 62 grain ammunition. There is nothing that brings a smile to your face like finding out your rifle will shoot MOA all day with 'cheap' M855 ammunition. Yes, it shoots to a slightly different point of impact, but it still shoots really, really well.

I cannot say enough about the SI rifles. I didn't write it up (my AAR is already very long), but it was super easy to clean those rifles as well. I basically just wiped down the bolt and bolt carrier and ran a couple of patches down the barrel and it was done. The rifle ran flawlessly (all of the guns did at this event). They were easy to clean and they were super accurate. If you are looking for a high end AR, I would highly recommend it.

This was an amazing class I consider myself privileged to attend. My training experience with Suarez International has been second to none in the past and this was no different. ChrisNobody covered the After Action Report admirably and I will not add to that; however, I would like to address a portion of the class for which I feel very strongly: intangible confidence.

I can say with confidence I can make a first round hit out to approximately 340 yards, make head shots out to 200 yards, and can keep my group within a 1" circle at 100 yards. That confidence is instilled by Suarez International-provided lecture, dry-fire practice, live-fire practice, known and unknown engagement distance, and stress and no-stress shooting, all from multiple shooting positions. That confidence is instilled by becoming intimately familiar with the weapon system and learning the effects of angle, mirage, heat, bullet weight and velocity. The Suarez International-provided skill sets and equipment mentioned has given me a sense of confidence that is irreplaceable and is only earned, not given.

With this confidence comes power..the power to remove fear, the unknown, the doubt and the hesitation that may preclude a life-saving action.

My thanks to Suarez International for instilling into the students a sense of earned confidence otherwise unobtainable.

Intangible confidence - can't be purchased, has to be earned, and is priceless in cost and effect.

UPDATE:

ChrisNobody and I are special brothers. We absolutely love spending time with each other and are quite inseparable. The Command Fire module of the course was quite fun for us. In reflecting on instilled confidence, there is satisfaction in knowing beyond any doubt the two of us can send two 77 grain 5.56mm bullets simultaneously to strike the targets center of mass at 300 yards. Yes, this is fun, but this discipline makes us dangerous people - dangerous and confident I should say.
    Last edited by MCSO; 04-04-2016 at 11:23 AM.

I wish I had been able to get to this one, sounds awesome and this is a gap in my skill set that needs attention. Nice write-up guys
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I wish I had been able to get to this one, sounds awesome and this is a gap in my skill set that needs attention. Nice write-up guys
    My sentiments exactly.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Sounds like it was a fun class. Makes me look forward to GS later this year that much more.
    "So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people." - Tecumseh

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters