Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Do you do anything to further waterproof those radios? I noticed the dry bag, is that just for component storage?
    Yes I use the dry bag over the radio for inclement weather and just run the cables out the top and fold it once. If I need to go for a swim then disconnect the cables and fully seal the bag.

commo waterproof.JPG
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

You can also find it pre entered into chirp and program all of the FRS, GMRS and MURS freqs. Takes about 5 minutes to setup and you can program multiple radios assembly line style.

I'd love to see an old 18E hop on here and school us with some antenna wave theory... lol
    There's a retired echo, who now teaches our radio classes for SWCC at Bragg, that can talk to you for 7 hours straight about wave theory and terrain considerations. It's some interesting stuff, but it's definitely FULL geek
    T W O T U Since October 2012

Quote Originally Posted by OmahaTacticalTrng View Post
    I'd love to see an old 18E hop on here and school us with some antenna wave theory... lol
    There's a retired echo, who now teaches our radio classes for SWCC at Bragg, that can talk to you for 7 hours straight about wave theory and terrain considerations. It's some interesting stuff, but it's definitely FULL geek
    Oh dear God NOOO!!! I have had to endure more conversations with Echos than I care to remember after asking just a simple question.
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

Quote Originally Posted by SUA SPONTE View Post
    Oh dear God NOOO!!! I have had to endure more conversations with Echos than I care to remember after asking just a simple question.
    To the technically proficient, there are NO simple questions, just like there are no dumb questions, unless they are asked by a 2LT!

Quote Originally Posted by C.J. Singleton View Post
    These radios have piqued my interest you can get sets of five for 150 bucks. Are they difficult to program and set up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Define easy.

Easy to hand-enter a frequency to talk on, or to program a handful of freq's for occasional or tactical use? Yeah, sure.

Easy to program 100+ channels (my Baofengs are like this), or to replicate the same setup on multiple radios? Not so much.

---

Thanks for this write up, Sua.

I have had mixed success with the included earpiece you mentioned - I have found it to be kind of fragile. Then again, I'm not sure if a nicer one would be any better.

I also purchased a hand mic for my radio, but I have a couple of gripes with that too: first, for some reason it is really quiet. Maybe the radio is not pushing enough power out to it? Secondly, the two-pronged I/O connector has a tendency to wiggle out. Commercial radios I used in Security and Corrections almost always had a screw-on or clip-on mechanism for accessories. This does not. Again, maybe I just bought the wrong type / brand of hand mic.

I can second the recommendation for an aftermarket antenna; I bought a nagoya as well - a 15 incher, I think? - and I saw pretty impressive improvement in reception.

RE the questions about range...it depends on a lot of factors but the rule of thumb is that UHF and VHF are both line-of-sight. If your antenna can see the transmitting antenna, you can communicate. That is limited by the caveats of transmitting power and antenna sensitivity.

Another type of antenna I haven't seen mentioned thus far are directional antennas. The antenna included with the Baofeng, the Nagoya Sua mentioned, and the J-pole are all omnidirectional antennas: they transmit in a spherical pattern around the antenna.

Directional antennas are made to narrow and focus your transmission and reception. They can improve opsec since they can limit the exposure of your transmission, but you have to know the approximate direction / location of whoever you are talking to.

A popular version of the directional antenna is the Yagi antenna. There are many websites that teach how to produce a 'backpacking yagi' that is collapsible and could be set up at a camp, simply held in hand and pointed in the correct direction from a hilltop or something of the nature.

Tagged for interest.
    Mark Mullins
    SSgt USMC (ret)

I favor the death penalty for bad manners and minor traffic violations

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    Define easy.
    Easy to program 100+ channels (my Baofengs are like this), or to replicate the same setup on multiple radios? Not so much.
    Download chirp makes it super easy really, as long as you are fairly computer savvy.

Im stupid new to commo. Can the better ones scan like a portable scanner???

Or is it purely for talkie only and known listening

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Baofeng scans. It simply iterates through all programmed channels; to my knowledge it doesn't get fancier than that.