Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Take a look at this site for some of the licensing info: http://www.arrl.org/ham-radio-licenses

Encrypted communication I think is a no no from what I recal reading while studying for my Techinician License. The only time I think you can use encrypted is if you are using the radios of controlling some sort of device like a remote controlled plane or similar items. But I guess you can look at the rule the same way as the No Berretas signs on some businesses.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

Quote Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
    But I guess you can look at the rule the same way as the No Berretas signs on some businesses.
    I'm sure it will piss off the amateur radio hobbyists, but for short range mobile tactical comms, I tend to look at most of their rules that way.
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

These radios have piqued my interest you can get sets of five for 150 bucks. Are they difficult to program and set up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by C.J. Singleton; 03-06-2016 at 10:06 AM.
    The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention that has been praised and denounced... Served Hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history.

KRG 9/11/11, PSGS 3/23/12, CPM 8/11/12, ACPM 8/18/12, M4 Sniper Week 2/20/13, TMCO 4/27/13, ATM 10/26/13, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 6/19/15, CRG-1 9/26/15, TASI 1/23/16, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 9/30/16

Quote Originally Posted by SUA SPONTE View Post
    I'm sure it will piss off the amateur radio hobbyists, but for short range mobile tactical comms, I tend to look at most of their rules that way.
    A lot of them will try to DF you if the hear you tx without a "government issued proper call sign and license". But that could be countered by remaining mobile, keeping tx to a minimum, using the minimum tx power needed, and changing your Frequency frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight. And it is in such twilight that we all must place fresh batteries in our NVGs, and our Aimpoint sites, to counter the allies of that darkness. - Base Bleed

Keep your head down. Keep your eyes up. Resist the urge to be seen as important or special. Know your exits.~Sarah Conner

Pacifists are the tyrant's dream come true. ~Michael Bauman

Quote Originally Posted by C.J. Singleton View Post
    Are they difficult to program and set up?
    In my opinion no they are not difficult to program.....although I read all over the internet that they are. I bought the USB cable and programming software but have never used it.
    Cheers
    T.

AND THEN GO TO WAR,

Quote Originally Posted by SUA SPONTE View Post
    In my opinion no they are not difficult to program.....although I read all over the internet that they are. I bought the USB cable and programming software but have never used it.
    So pretty much find a frequency without much activity on it and do what you need to do?

The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention that has been praised and denounced... Served Hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history.

KRG 9/11/11, PSGS 3/23/12, CPM 8/11/12, ACPM 8/18/12, M4 Sniper Week 2/20/13, TMCO 4/27/13, ATM 10/26/13, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 6/19/15, CRG-1 9/26/15, TASI 1/23/16, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 9/30/16

So pretty much find a frequency without much activity on it and do what you need to do?

Kind of but not exactly.......using the FRS,GMRS, and MURS freqs is best depending on where you are; this gives one lots of choices.
    Cheers
    T.

AND THEN GO TO WAR,

Are they difficult to program and set up?
    Honestly, they're stupid easy if you are computer savvy, buy the programming cable and download chirp, you can program a boat load of channels. It's really easy to manually program the radio as well.

Sua, thanks for the post, gives me some ideas to update my comms, I had no idea that those routing cables were sold on amazon. I had been sourcing the parts to make my own, but that's just a lot easier.

Do you do anything to further waterproof those radios? I noticed the dry bag, is that just for component storage?

If you want to interact with the “bubble pack” radios, you need to know the specific FRS or GMRS frequencies. They can be found many places, including here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index..._channel_chart

I don’t have much knowledge of the MURS channels, but they exist as well.
    There comes a time in every man’s life when he is called upon to do something very special for which he and he alone has the capabilities, has the skills, and has the necessary training. What a pity if the moment finds the man unprepared. —Winston Churchill