Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Right? Walking around in fear is just stupid. Show me any law enforcement officer that knows what these are and is going to waste the time to arrest you for the use of them and I'll show you a unicorn. It's like people believe that coordination vans are going to be driving around your neighborhood trying to pinpoint your location.

All this stupidity is ruining a perfectly good thread. I may go back and delete all this garbage.
    I went and got my license and met a bunch of HAMs there, as well as on the radio nets and repeaters that I participated.

What I found is that most of these guys love to be experts on the stupid rules and regulations and call others out on them. Basically, it's a community of blue falcons + know it alls combined.

Which is why someone actually took the time to complain about this and get regulations changed in the first place.

That's also why I don't get on nets anymore. Still glad I have my license and I recommend others get it for repeater use.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny C! View Post
    I have no need to talk on FRS because I have my tech license.
    I think that is the wrong way to look at it. What if you wanted to limit transmission power to keep the signal more localized vs. using one that could be intercepted much much further out? No reason to feed the unknown ears out there.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I think that is the wrong way to look at it. What if you wanted to limit transmission power to keep the signal more localized vs. using one that could be intercepted much much further out? No reason to feed the unknown ears out there.
    ComSec/PerSec/OpSec. Totally agree Dorkface.
    Deus , et Libertas

DPS, CRG-2, CRG-3
    Dynamics of the Kalashnikov, Advanced Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting

Most radios including the Baofeng allow you to select a low power mode though in some regards I'd say relying on
    that for your security isn't a good plan.

And I'm not sure what power has to do with transmitting on non-FRS frequencies.

By staying off of the very limited number of FRS frequencies you are probably improving security just because fewer people have access to devices that can monitor them.

You can also enhance your security by using duplex mode: transmit on frequency "a" and receive on frequency "b".

Finally, with a HAM radio you can use frequency offsets and CTCS codes to further obfuscate your transmissions.

Quansheng made a knockoff of the Baofeng that's actually better. Better chipset, more durable case, etc.

Linkage to a two-pack here - includes some nice extras and a better antenna along with the stubby:

https://www.amazon.com/Quansheng-UV-...gateway&sr=8-1

Be advised these aren't supported by the CHIRP programming software but Quansheng offers their own program free that isn't too different from CHIRP.

DF,

Well, I can't argue with that, but, I have some
    FRS radio's and gave one to my son so we could
    talk while he walked to the neighbors house to play
    when his was about 6. We talked as he walked up
    the road just fine. When he reached their driveway,
    I could see him, 150 yards away (confirmed distance
    on Google Earth just now) across an open field with
    minimal vegetation between us, and the signal was
    already garbled and he was walking perpendicular
    to my line of sight. By the time he got to the front
    door, comms were lost. So FRS might be good for
    car to car, or in the yard at your own house, but
    in my experience that will be very limited conditions.
    I am not trying to argue, I just don't find them to be
    anything more than kids toys, and might be useful
    but under very limited conditions.

And I agree about limiting wattage for OPSEC.
    I have a group of friends who have the UV5R's,
    all programmed exactly the same. We have several
    local repeaters & a large grouping of simplex freq's
    programmed in. Several of the simplex freq's are
    programmed in a grouping at 2 watts, so we can
    use those when we need them for close proximity
    comms.

apamburn,
    I doubt we would feel the need to use any
    of the FRS freq's, but if we did, I don't think
    I would be too worried about anyone who
    happened to hear one of those transmissions
    and all they had to listen to it with was an FRS
    radio.

Also, we have not worked on cross band/freq
    transmissions. I am pretty sure the UV5R's will
    do that, but I have not investigated that feature.

Again, I am not trying to argue, just stating my
    experience.

John

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

Quote Originally Posted by SUA SPONTE View Post
    I didn't watch the video because anyone who looks like that has nothing to say that I care about. I mean seriously dude looks like he is afraid of his own shadow, and for good reason; his shadow could and likely has beat his ass.

On the topic though I bought 2 of the 8 watt radios a few days ago just because a .Gov says I can't
    I received my 5 pack of 8 watt models the day the sales ban went into effect lol. I have 5 of the 4 watt models as well ordered them as soon as I heard that the ban was coming.

I currently have the public frequencies programmed in because the other ROs at matches have been using the walkers razor muffs with the attached FRS radio I replicated your lapel mic + earpro setup

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention that has been praised and denounced... Served Hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history.

KRG 9/11/11, PSGS 3/23/12, CPM 8/11/12, ACPM 8/18/12, M4 Sniper Week 2/20/13, TMCO 4/27/13, ATM 10/26/13, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 6/19/15, CRG-1 9/26/15, TASI 1/23/16, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 9/30/16

Just FYI, as of today at least it seems that they are still orderable thru amazon (most models including 8W) I dont know if that is to get rid of supply on hand /in warehouse , or if they havent gotten the word.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    I went and got my license and met a bunch of HAMs there, as well as on the radio nets and repeaters that I participated.

What I found is that most of these guys love to be experts on the stupid rules and regulations and call others out on them. Basically, it's a community of blue falcons + know it alls combined.

Which is why someone actually took the time to complain about this and get regulations changed in the first place.

That's also why I don't get on nets anymore. Still glad I have my license and I recommend others get it for repeater use.
    That is so unreasonably homosexual I could never bring myself to participate.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post

The FCC does not really care what HAMs whine about. The FCC only cared about radios that are easily field programmable for non-ham frequencies when they got reports of interference on public safety frequencies.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...228090311.html

All the hand waving about these radios going away is stupid. There are plenty of radios that will not be band with the only difference being you will have to use a computer to program the frequencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk