Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default G19 vs. H&K P2000, now I'm confused

O.K., so I had pretty much decied on the G19 when my friend says, "You should really look into the H&K P2000". I looked...and WOW, looks like a fine piece of equipment but they sure are proud of it $$$$$$$. So, does anyone think the H&K is a better choice? Here's some random thoughts:

1) Glock = easier to clean/maintain (I hear H&K has lots of complex internals)

2) H&K = Heard they have poor customer service for civilians, what kind does Glock have?

3) Glock = Read some "internet conspiracy theory" on how bad Glock, Inc is and the KB problems...anything to all that or just hype?

4) Reliabilty - Not sure so any experience with both would help.

So, is the H&K worth the extra $300? I'm sure it's a great gun, but what do you really get for some much more $$?
    "You wanted to know what the bad guys looked like. Now you know.
    It may happen again. My job is to take care of you.
    I was appointed to do that by God. I will kill anyone who touches you.
    Do you understand?"
    - The Road, pg 77 (The father to his son)

Availability of holsters, magazines and accessories is an arguement for for the Glock and away from the HK. By the time you've bought a well-fitting holster and a half-dozen mags, you've made the price spread even larger.
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Hmmm....HK. Or, G19 + 2 day class with Gabe.

Gimmie a sec....

Glock hands down. The HK, especially the P2000 cannot compete.

The customer service is crap. They seem like they are almost anti-civilian ownership.

KB's are rare but do happen with any gun and are 99.9% of the time ammo related. Don't shoot crap in them and the chance of it blowing up drops significantly.

1. No hands on experiance with the P2000 but your description does fit other HKs.

2. If you are not LEO/Military HK service is "spotty". Glock has a good rep for customer service and there are plenty of secondary sources for service.

3. The primary problem with Glock "KBs" is in the .40S&W series. They use an unsupported chamber and occasionaly one lets go. This is not an issue with the 9MM series pistol.

4. Probably a toss up. Even though they are pricey HKs do have a good rep for reliability.

As Sam Spade said. Add up the extra cost of the P2000-vs-what you can get a G19 for (especially if you find a good used one) plus the extra money you will spend on holsters and mags.
    Last edited by MTS; 03-29-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Default G19 it is

Thanks guys, kind of what I thought.
    "You wanted to know what the bad guys looked like. Now you know.
    It may happen again. My job is to take care of you.
    I was appointed to do that by God. I will kill anyone who touches you.
    Do you understand?"
    - The Road, pg 77 (The father to his son)

The biggest gripe I have with the modern Glocks is their finger grooves. They don't line up with my fingers. Not comfortable.

My old G19 doesn't have finger grooves. Neither does my HK USP.

I have no experience with HK customer service. Nothing has gone wrong with my USP. However, I do have experience with Glock's. My G19 went back twice. Glock's turnaround time was fast and they didn't charge me for repairs.
    Lou C.

One of our dept. armorers just tried to contact HK about upgrading to new pistols. We are currently looking to change from our present S&W autos and wanted to evaluate the USP models. He has called three times, only one of which he actually spoke to a person. No one has called to date and it's been about three weeks.

I figure if we are ready to spend a large amount of money and they still don't seem too eager to contact us, it speaks of how they view customers. LE included.

I own and shoot both the G19 and HK P2000v3. Both have qualities, features, and faults -- for my personal interpretation of priorties. Which will be different for someone's else interpretation of their priorties.

I'm shooting better with the P2000v3, but the two G19's won't be retired, either.

A big bonus for myself, is major improvement on weak hand shooting with P2000. I'm not certain why, yet, but it's a major improvement.

That's what is so important about evaluating the right handgun for yourself, it's got to be personally verfied against personal priorities. But it takes time and experince to comprehend what One needs.

-T

Why not try them both? find a range that rents pistols and shoot them. Pick the one you like best.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vires et honestas

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith