Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,960

    Default Hornady 5.45 Gone

    Fellow Aficionados,

    While at the SHOT Hornady booth I inquired about their 5.45 ammo. Due to their inability to acquire steel cases from Russia they no longer manufacture this ammo. I just purchased 500 rounds as some is still out there at reasonable prices (.35 rnd). This is the ammo in my mags for self defense and for sighting in my rifles as I find it shoots consistent groups. I wanted to give the tribe a heads up before the rest of the world finds out.

    GOOD LUCK!
    GOOD GUY'S SHOOT AK'S!

    The DOG HOUSE is my comfort zone!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ft. Riley, KS
    Posts
    1,059
    You wouldn't think it would be too difficult for Hornady to process or order brass she'll casings in the appropriate size... But this is why I sold my '74.


    "If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

    "History is the autobiography of a madman..."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,779
    There is a lot of them out there, so there is a market. Someone will end up making ammo for them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    14,878
    I never saw the long-term advantage of 5.45 and never purchased in AK in that chambering not wanting another caliber to deal with.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ft. Riley, KS
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I never saw the long-term advantage of 5.45 and never purchased in AK in that chambering not wanting another caliber to deal with.
    I did and I loved my '74... But like you I ultimately didn't see the long term validity of the round. I've never been so disappointed to be right.


    "If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

    "History is the autobiography of a madman..."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    There is a lot of them out there, so there is a market. Someone will end up making ammo for them.
    Lots of imported ammo, I think. Just not the cheap milsurp.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    44,770
    Oh well.....
    Gabriel Suarez

    Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

    Suarez International USA Headquarters

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    Oh well.....
    You did call it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,960
    Now for the rest of the story. . . . . . the Hornady rep said a lot of people asked about the 5.45 at SHOT
    and said he will look into brass case ammo. Still plenty of product out there. I also picked up 1500 rounds of Wolf Military classic at .23 cents per round.
    GOOD GUY'S SHOOT AK'S!

    The DOG HOUSE is my comfort zone!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    14,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog6 View Post
    Fellow Aficionados,

    While at the SHOT Hornady booth I inquired about their 5.45 ammo. Due to their inability to acquire steel cases from Russia they no longer manufacture this ammo. I just purchased 500 rounds as some is still out there at reasonable prices (.35 rnd). This is the ammo in my mags for self defense and for sighting in my rifles as I find it shoots consistent groups. I wanted to give the tribe a heads up before the rest of the world finds out.

    GOOD LUCK!
    In a span cam from ammoman:
    5.45X39 RUSSIAN FMJ 53 GRAIN (1080 ROUNDS)

    $330.00
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •