Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hornady 5.45 Gone

Fellow Aficionados,

While at the SHOT Hornady booth I inquired about their 5.45 ammo. Due to their inability to acquire steel cases from Russia they no longer manufacture this ammo. I just purchased 500 rounds as some is still out there at reasonable prices (.35 rnd). This is the ammo in my mags for self defense and for sighting in my rifles as I find it shoots consistent groups. I wanted to give the tribe a heads up before the rest of the world finds out.

GOOD LUCK!
    GOOD GUY'S SHOOT AK'S!

The DOG HOUSE is my comfort zone!

You wouldn't think it would be too difficult for Hornady to process or order brass she'll casings in the appropriate size... But this is why I sold my '74.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

There is a lot of them out there, so there is a market. Someone will end up making ammo for them.

I never saw the long-term advantage of 5.45 and never purchased in AK in that chambering not wanting another caliber to deal with.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I never saw the long-term advantage of 5.45 and never purchased in AK in that chambering not wanting another caliber to deal with.
    I did and I loved my '74... But like you I ultimately didn't see the long term validity of the round. I've never been so disappointed to be right.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    There is a lot of them out there, so there is a market. Someone will end up making ammo for them.
    Lots of imported ammo, I think. Just not the cheap milsurp.

Oh well.....
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    Oh well.....
    You did call it.

Now for the rest of the story. . . . . . the Hornady rep said a lot of people asked about the 5.45 at SHOT
    and said he will look into brass case ammo. Still plenty of product out there. I also picked up 1500 rounds of Wolf Military classic at .23 cents per round.
    GOOD GUY'S SHOOT AK'S!

The DOG HOUSE is my comfort zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog6 View Post
    Fellow Aficionados,

While at the SHOT Hornady booth I inquired about their 5.45 ammo. Due to their inability to acquire steel cases from Russia they no longer manufacture this ammo. I just purchased 500 rounds as some is still out there at reasonable prices (.35 rnd). This is the ammo in my mags for self defense and for sighting in my rifles as I find it shoots consistent groups. I wanted to give the tribe a heads up before the rest of the world finds out.

GOOD LUCK!
    In a span cam from ammoman:
    5.45X39 RUSSIAN FMJ 53 GRAIN (1080 ROUNDS)

$330.00
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez