Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Barrel recommendations

Good Morning all, I'm looking for a barrel for my gen 4 G19 that would be suitable for reloads. My number one priority is to retain reliability. Second would be increased accuracy and if I could find all these things in a threaded barrel that would be fantastic. Any suggestions ?
    "and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. " Luke 22:36

Suarez Match barrel?
    Combat Wombat: Eats Roots and Leaves.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
    "Marines don't know how to spell the word defeet"

The vast majority of aftermarket barrels sold are made by either Stormlake or Dasan. They rebrand them for all the "new and exciting" companies but at the end of the day they are all common stainless barrels with flutes and dots and whathaveyou cosmetics added on.

Do they work?

All barrels work...but that is not the issue since the oem barrels work too. A barrel MUST be more accurate otherwise why bother.

Our barrels are made from expensive Lothat-Walther match blanks from Germany. The same kind of barrel blanks used in match barrels. And ground to fit our slides perfectly.

Other than a handfit barrel that will only work on one slide...this is the only choice.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by deeredriver View Post
    Good Morning all, I'm looking for a barrel for my gen 4 G19 that would be suitable for reloads. My number one priority is to retain reliability. Second would be increased accuracy and if I could find all these things in a threaded barrel that would be fantastic. Any suggestions ?
    Your factory Glock barrel is perfectly suited for reloads (jacketed and lead), and is better quality than most aftermarket barrels. As for reloading - take time to learn what you're doing and why, and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Your factory Glock barrel is perfectly suited for reloads (jacketed and lead), and is better quality than most aftermarket barrels. As for reloading - take time to learn what you're doing and why, and you'll be fine.
    Be cautious with general recommendations like this, as one with a .40 barrel with an ugly chamber, I'm more than hesitant to
    reload the brass out of it, they are that bulged.

As to lead, that's an even more debated discussion. I cast and use lead in everything, except polygonal/hexagonal barrels.
    Learned my lesson in the early '90's with my first G23. Don't even like plated bullets in a Glock, but that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by whirlibird View Post
    As to lead, that's an even more debated discussion. I cast and use lead in everything, except polygonal/hexagonal barrels.
    Learned my lesson in the early '90's with my first G23. Don't even like plated bullets in a Glock, but that's me.
    Any Glock or other polygonal bore can do really well with lead bullets. They do need to be sized right and hard enough. Most issues with these are undersized bullets and/or the cheap swaged lead bullets. Neither of those work well in traditional bores either.

RE: Using lead in Glock barrels -

The Glock barrel is NOT "perfectly suited" for lead bullets.

From my Glock Armorers school - the instructor said that the way the Glock barrels are made causes them to "shave" the lead from lead bullets, the shaved lead builds up in the barrel, thereby decreasing the inside diameter of the barrel which can lead to catastrophic failure. NOT the guns fault... It is best to NOT use lead in Glock barrels.

RE: Glock brass -

I have been reloading brass from Glock barrels for 3 years and have never had an issue. You do need to thoroughly inspect your brass. The Glock chamber is specifically designed that way to direct the gasses down the magazine well should an overpressure situation occur. This is a SAFETY feature.

So all the things that need to be improved on a Glock are safety features?

Glock barrel is OK. But those that WANT better than that will benefit from a better barrel. The Glock is not quite perfect.

Now...the lead bullet guys...sorry...I am not one of you. I shoot factory stuff. Nonetheless...my barrels will shoot better with lead provided your goal was not to be cheap...but to be more accurate.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    Glock barrel is OK. But those that WANT better than that will benefit from a better barrel. The Glock is not quite perfect.

Now...the lead bullet guys...sorry...I am not one of you. I shoot factory stuff. Nonetheless...my barrels will shoot better with lead provided your goal was not to be cheap...but to be more accurate.
    Totally agree Gabe. Sadly I had to go with a Bar-Sto barrel because yours weren't yet available for the G22/17 without threads. I live in Kommiefornia so I can't have nice things...

Quote Originally Posted by Joatmon View Post
    RE: Using lead in Glock barrels -

The Glock barrel is NOT "perfectly suited" for lead bullets.

From my Glock Armorers school - the instructor said that the way the Glock barrels are made causes them to "shave" the lead from lead bullets, the shaved lead builds up in the barrel, thereby decreasing the inside diameter of the barrel which can lead to catastrophic failure. NOT the guns fault... It is best to NOT use lead in Glock barrels.
    To be blunt - your instructor didn't have a clue about lead bullets in Glock barrels. There's nothing about being a "certified Glock armorer" that makes someone more qualified to talk about lead bullets. Leave that to the guys who actually shoot them and know what they're talking about. That's a bit like getting legal advice from a police officer - they might be right or wrong, but it's not their area of expertise.