Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    This one sucks for me. I'm mid way through our second year of family annual passes. As it happens I live about 20 minutes from the parks and we have really enjoyed heading over there after work a few nights a week. Up until now I've done my part, kept things discreet, and never had any real issues with CCW inside any of the parks. I suppose that may change. We almost didn't re up due to cost which has gone up yet again. If they are going to make things difficult I'll probably just go less till our time is up and find something else to fill the nights.

Disney does not have its own police. They hire off duty deputies from Orange County. Used to be just one somewhere near the park entrance. After Paris, I noticed this at least triple. Plenty of K9 activity too. They seem a bit more proactive and alert to me. This could be Intel driven our just Disney trying to make a show, I don't know. What's interesting is that Sea World and Universal also jumped into the MD/wand game at the same time. Almost certain that they coordinated this for whatever reason.

I have several former Disney security guys that work for me and I'm familiar with some former senior management types. Disney has had the MD's warehoused and ready for years yet held back out of fear if scaring folks. Up until now there weren't even no weapon signs anywhere to be found. My guess is that either they think the time is right to implement given recent events or something is up. The coordinated implementation among competing parks makes me fear the later....which stinks cause I do like to be prepared.

I think the lone expired CCW guy was a fluke brought on by heightened vigilence (they have probably been encouraging this) and the guys stupidity with the expired card and pissing off the deputy. Making me chase you will make me want it to be worthwhile. :)
    Last edited by mkh100; 12-18-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    I thought most of St. Louis was a zoo?
    Forest Park, where the zoo is, is pretty safe during the day. The city proper is kind of odd in that you'll have neighborhoods of nice, even fairly expensive homes and a few blocks away is a shitbomb hood.

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    I can say with authority that the StL Zoo is an easy place to carry.
    Indeed. Uh...in theory. Just, you know, based on observation of the situation and whatnot. :whistle:

Anyone know the policies at Legoland in FL? We're heading to Jupiter in March (Cardinals spring training!) and will probably make a stop there for my son.
    "Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    While there, I was given a short tour of some of the security at Magic Kingdom. Having experience in security, I am impressed. Still a soft target, but with a solid response plan.

Something to keep in mind. The Disney parks are their own municipality complete with all emergency services. They don't have to call outside LE to respond to an incident.

There is a reason it's called The Mouse Trap.
    I have heard they have active shooter response plans involving SWAT teams using the "utilidor" tunnels with short (measured in minutes) response times. Nothing is public record, however.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Quote Originally Posted by mkh100 View Post
    This one sucks for me. I'm mid way through our second year of family annual passes. As it happens I live about 20 minutes from the parks ...
    I officially nominate you to be our boots on the ground and test the waters.

What's interesting is that Sea World and Universal also jumped into the MD/wand game at the same time. Almost certain that they coordinated this for whatever reason.
    I also noticed this definitely appears coordinated. I'm sure the security people at the parks meet up for lunch from time to time or something.

I have several former Disney security guys that work for me and I'm familiar with some former senior management types. Disney has had the MD's warehoused and ready for years yet held back out of fear if scaring folks. Up until now there weren't even no weapon signs anywhere to be found. My guess is that either they think the time is right to implement given recent events or something is up. The coordinated implementation among competing parks makes me fear the later....which stinks cause I do like to be prepared.
    I also wondered about the logistics of the metal detector deployment. It was awfully fast installation after the San Bernadino event, so I suspected either they have a really excited metal detector vendor being johnny on the spot in hopes of expanding the order to include more units, or, they were mothballed from the 2004 test.

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTA View Post
    Forest Park, where the zoo is, is pretty safe during the day. The city proper is kind of odd in that you'll have neighborhoods of nice, even fairly expensive homes and a few blocks away is a shitbomb hood.
    Last time I checked, the StL Zoo is the largest free zoo in the world and second in size only to San Diego. It's a great educational opportunity to take the kids there. Forest Park has a number of other museums as well.

If I wanted to live by the "zero risk tolerance" rule, I'd be in a cabin in the woods someplace, all by myself, missing out on life going by. It's a mistake to avoid certain risks, the StL Zoo is one of them.

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Indeed. While I'd never go unarmed by choice, most people go through their entire lives armed only with their wits (and half of 'em not even that) and are none the worse. I'm a sports fan, carrying at the Cardinals and Blues games is a no-go. You could if you ninja'ed your way into the building, but through the main gates, they check you. Rather half-ass, but they'll find a gun. It's a risk I take because I like to go to the games. But if I go anywhere I can (not may) carry, I'll do it. If I can't, well, I'm hardly helpless without one, it's just a handy tool.
    "Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

Unarmed recon underway. Update to follow. Only a couple pocket knives in the mix, maybe I'll get lucky and see a deputy I know and can get a little more info.

If the balloon goes up I'm the guy that went out fighting with his car keys balled up in his fist with a terrorist windpipe in my teeth, at least that's the plan. Hopefully I just see some twinkly lights and drink a cup of coffee while wondering around....they now have Starbucks in every park too, not my favorite but it will do.

In without a hitch, I must not look menacing enough to trigger selection. This is inneficient feel good BS for the sheeple...more to follow, have to go drink my coffee.

Epcot: there are essentially two entrance areas at the front of the park. The one on the right is much larger as the monorail and tram enter on that side. Both sides have bag check counters and behind those small party tents have been set up each with a single upright metal detector. I only saw kids going through the MD, no idea how folks are selected to be scrutinized.

As has long been the case guests without bags have sort of an express line off to the far side of the right entrance. This is where we always enter as we deliberately leave bags at home. I strolled through this as usual, smiled and thanked the guard and we went about our business

These things look thrown up and temporary to me. I've no idea if its a test for bigger things to come or what. I can't see how these actually add anything of substance whatsoever.

I suppose the guard in the non bag entrance could select the "random" guest for further scrutiny but I didn't see it happen and it would be awkward logistically.

Thanks for the intel mkh100.
    My Daughter has decided she wants to go back, but will be a while before I have cash enough for that trip.
    I told her she wouldn't have a Genie Pass the next time. She said, "I know. I felt sorry for the other kids when they would pull me out of a line to go ahead of everyone else." She's a keeper.