Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Not a big difference between before and after, just confirmation. The world is a hateful place.

Amarillo, Texas. Good Friday. 1995 or 6. My wife and myself. I almost didn't take my pistol when we left the house. It was a beautiful spring day in the Panhandle. I accidentally cut a guy off turning onto Bell street. He hollered and I gave the "sorry" sign. My wife said "He's got a gun." He pulled up beside us and tried to shoot me with a Raven. It jammed. He pulled past us enough for me to look down into his ride to see what was going on. I checked to make sure my 10mm was in position. He fell back. Wife says "Here he comes." I'm looking for a hole. Hole comes in the form of a right hand turn onto a residential street I can't remember the name of. I race for it. Make the turn and as my wheels straighten out we hear the shot.

The only reason I made the turn was because my wife of 8 months, and lover of three years, was with me. I was prepared mentally and physically to kill that fellow. He didn't realize how bad he had screwed up or how absolutely lucky he was.

On Bell Street, headed south from I40. On Good Friday afternoon.

I have not thought about that in a few years.

Excellent article! Thank you.

Default My two part transition out of the "before"

Gabe, this was an excellent post! I think my end of the "before" came in two phases.

First phase was a 1974 biblical history themed cruise to the Middle East with my Mom and Dad when I was 14 years old. Starting with bus tours in Israel, viewing the border with Jordan where burned out tank hulls from the 1973 Israeli-Arab war were still around. Travelling through Lebanon and seeing the US embassy with sandbags, barricades, and an American tank in the driveway, then visiting Syria and their hostile attitude to us "American" tourists. And finally, the last part of the trip where we were cruising to visit a city in Turkey, but having the port of call cancelled since Turkey and Greece (we were in a Greek ship) had just decided to declare war on each other. The ship then started taking a zigzag course away from Turkish waters, this is the first time I saw Dad with extreme anxiety (looking back now I can see it was probably PTSD from his WWII experiences). He assigned me to stay with my Mom the rest of the trip so she was never alone and to keep life vest always within reach. The ship was then re-routed away from Greece (where we were supposed to visit Athens and meet our return flight to the USA) to a new destination that was not disclosed to us. We had to ration food and water from that point for two days until arrival in Naples Italy (which was not the original itinerary). Being a 14 year old at the time, I can recall the specific visuals and emotions, but could not fully comprehend nor articulate the new reality I had been exposed to.

The following years back in California, being indoctrinated by the public school system in political correctness , anti-gun propaganda, and post Vietnam war negativity about the military, I was lulled back into a haze that mostly clouded over my earlier experience. The second phase of leaving the "before" wasn't until 9/11 when the second Airliner hit the tower that reality kicked the door down in my head and woke up the dormant state of my earlier experiences and shoved me permanently out of the "before".

“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” - Bruce Lee

So I get into my car to drive home this afternoon and turn the radio the local conservative talk station. And what do I hear? They are reading Gabe's essay on living in the before. Word for word. They did give Suarez International credit. Had me smiling as I drove home.
    I am in a sunny place full of shady people

Haha....too funny.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

That's awesome!!!!!!

Interesting question. I grew up in a household fathered by a WWII PTSD Alpha wolf. For me, there was never a "before!" I knew where the battle stations were in the home as soon as I could walk. And even though it put me completely out of phase with my peer groups, with "the flock," I have always been thankful for that.

ETA: For example, I was listening to the radio on 9/11. A perfectly clear day in NYC. It is still incomprehensible to me how many people needed to see the second plane hit before they would even consider it was a terrorist attack.
    Last edited by pennington; 02-02-2016 at 09:57 AM.

You know your family lives in the AFTER when you announce "moving" and your daughter replies "COVERING".
    Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    You know your family lives in the AFTER when you announce "moving" and your daughter replies "COVERING".
    lol mine prefers sniper overwatch
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Or when you go Christams shopping at the mall and you are moving in a wedge formation, eyes outboard.
    Gabe Suarez