Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    September 11, 2001. Proned out on Church Street in Manhattan under the engine block of a Chevy Monte Carlo, hoping the big ol' V8 would protect my chest and head from the pieces of the WTC falling around me. Wondering which of my friends had made it out, and which I would never see again. I've never been the same after that morning.

A story I'm proud of: two years ago I received a phone call from the school social worker at my older son's school. "Everybody's OK, but I want you to know there's been a fight." Me: "OK, what happened?" SW: "Well, apparently, your son was walking through the hallway when he came across a group of older children picking on a younger, smaller kid. He asked them to stop, but they didn't. He asked them again, and they still didn't. He then started throwing punches." Me: "My son defended a weak student who was getting bullied at school while your staff was not supervising the kids. I will talk to him about alternatives to fighting, but as far as I'm concerned he did 100% the right thing, and if there are any repercussions beyond this phone call, we are going to have a problem. Do we have a problem?" SW: (Laughing) "Absolutely not." My kid took on three older boys and prevailed. Made me proud of his abilities, and his moral compass. (You should see him spar at the dojo - he's merciless!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Klopp View Post
    Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6 has many applications - you have just placed a very practical one into effect. Well done.
    I am with Rick on this one, Great job, it will come in handy in the future.
    I kneel for no man and pray to only one God; Jesus Christ.

تدريب لتكون في نهاية المطاف الأمريكي الكافر

CRG 09/2012, TMCO 11/2012, RGF I 09/2013, ACRG 11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by jesselp View Post
    September 11, 2001. Proned out on Church Street in Manhattan under the engine block of a Chevy Monte Carlo, hoping the big ol' V8 would protect my chest and head from the pieces of the WTC falling around me. Wondering which of my friends had made it out, and which I would never see again. I've never been the same after that morning.

A story I'm proud of: two years ago I received a phone call from the school social worker at my older son's school. "Everybody's OK, but I want you to know there's been a fight." Me: "OK, what happened?" SW: "Well, apparently, your son was walking through the hallway when he came across a group of older children picking on a younger, smaller kid. He asked them to stop, but they didn't. He asked them again, and they still didn't. He then started throwing punches." Me: "My son defended a weak student who was getting bullied at school while your staff was not supervising the kids. I will talk to him about alternatives to fighting, but as far as I'm concerned he did 100% the right thing, and if there are any repercussions beyond this phone call, we are going to have a problem. Do we have a problem?" SW: (Laughing) "Absolutely not." My kid took on three older boys and prevailed. Made me proud of his abilities, and his moral compass. (You should see him spar at the dojo - he's merciless!)
    That's a good boy you got there, I'd be a proud poppa!

I don't believe I've ever had a before. At least not that I remember. Dysfunctional home. Abusive and violent mother. Brothers that found their manhood in street gangs. Four years in an Islamic cult before denouncing the religion and turning to Christ. Being a cop for 26 years in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Philadelphia. Don't get me wrong. I've found happiness amongst the chaos; marriage, children that I love dearly, but I never had a before. At least not that I remember.

1994 fresh out of the USAF. 23 years old in an FTO program. An 8 year old whipped a newborn baby to death with a dog chain while left alone. I realized then that sin/evil is real. The home was later bulldozed.

I don't recall a specific event that changed "before" to "after", but I did pursue weapons and training almost exactly when I first brought kids into this world. I realized it was on me and nobody else to protect them.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Woah, shivers down my spine Gabe!

That's what's so great about being here: Its Real.

Thank's

Default California Living

Gabe: I have always referred to your organization as the "No Bullshit Zone". Us California residents are either victims of who ever wants to rob, rape or kill us or criminals because we carry to defend ourselves and our families. Hell of a dilemma isn't it?

Rich Long

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    LIVING IN THE "BEFORE"

I had a long discourse today with a friend from high school. She was concerned about all the terrorism today and wanted advice. She had been living in the "before".
    What is the before?

Last year I was in California for my mom's 75th birthday. I was manning the BBQ and took off my outer cover, to a tank top. I had a small Glock tucked into the belt line and one of my small nieces walked up and asked me what that was...pointing at my Glock. Much to the horror of her mother, I said it was in case bad guys showed up.

She smiled that little girl smile all fathers of daughters remember and said, "There are no bad guys in our world".

I smiled and said...that is right...but there are in mine.

We all recall the "Before". These were the days when everything was good. Our moms and dads would make everything right and good. There was food, and a roof when it rained.

We were safe.

My Before ended when I was seven years old, and I saw the fear in my parent's eyes as we sped to the airport in Havana in the dead of night - hours ahead of the secret police. I had seen the secret police pull my neighbor out of his house and execute him in the street some days earlier.

Most kids live in the before until their thirties.

Some never leave the before.

My "After" is like this.

I know who is sitting in the restaurant when I order my drink...I have scanned the room and identified points of concern. I know where the exit is, and I have developed a hasty plan on killing anyone there that may be a threat, as well as the best ways of getting out before my drink is delivered to the table.

When I speak to an unknown, I gauge them, physical attributes, strength, mobility, and weapons. I sit with my back to the wall...or the exit.

I know all the cars on the road with me and if i see one more than twice, I look further. I do not answer the door without a weapon, and have an assault rifle by the bed.
    I train my body hard every day, in anticipation of a fight. And I do all of this casually and almost without realizing it. It has become a part of my nature. I have seen death and I am comfortable with it...ready to meet it if necessary...or meet it out...whatever the circumstances may call for.

Not blustering...ask those who know me.

My family knows I love them and I never leave something unsaid. I am on good terms with my Creator...as much as depends on me. I am no longer a professional "combatant" but still live as if I was.

I have not lived in the before for many years.

We recall those before days...and the day we received information...whether in a police or military briefing or as a firsthand witness to evil. Everything prior to that is the Before. Before we saw evil...before we saw violence...and before we decided that we would not be its prey. And once we stop living in the before, we find ourselves above the silly strivings of common men. We no longer worry about the social rules, nor the signs. We have a clear understanding of what we need to do as we move through the crowds of the people still living hopefully in the before.

I think many of you have made the transition recently. It has become real. One of my old partners still on the job texted me recently, "We are ready for battle". He had been living in the before...but as a cop in San Bernardino, he is no longer there.

How about you? Are you still living in the before...or have you moved on to reality and what is...as ugly and frightening as it may be?

I can`t quite remember the transition, but the before is rather vivid.
    The after is too different to put into words; in a good way. I now train with my weapons, at the very least I encourage the people I trust to do the same. The before is a sick joke, just like everything you see anymore. The trick, I think, isn`t to pull off the blindfold. It must be burned off in a baptism by fire.
    "they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb

When I was 17 I was chased into the woods behind a friends house when three guys with baseball bats came after me. It was right after sunset, I had only a small pocket knife. I hid under a bush knife in hand ready to jump out and put it into the closest ones neck and take my chances. Luckily they didn't find me and quickly gave up.

Why was I chased? Later found out that one of the guys of the girl I was hanging with was the girls ex. The other two were his friends and probably drunk on too much whiskey.

If that happened again tomorrow all three of those idiots would be dead the decond they try to turn me into prey.