There had to be a "before" for me--compared to some kids (and some who've posted here) my childhood was really good.

There is no line for me that I can recall that is "before" or "after", just a gradual (and continuing) awareness of different threats as my life expanded.

In the Marines it was mostly the Soviets, but we'd had the Marine Barracks attack in Lebanon in 1983, and terrorism was definitely on our radar.

I remember the first WTC bombing.

I remember the Murrah Federal Building bombing Oklahoma City in 1995. I was standing outside smoking a cigarette explaining to my boss that this wasn't Muslims--bombing a nothing building in a nothing city wasn't their style. I was completely unshocked that it was a US citizen, mostly because I also remember The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord from southern Missouri in the early 80s.

9/11 *startled* me, but it didn't *surprise* me. That morning I loaded two pistols, threw one back in the gun safe (for my wife) and went to work.

You might consider that the closest thing to a line that I crossed--before I was aware, was getting "defensive" pistol training and shooting weekly, but I didn't carry all the time because I lived in California and it could be charged as a felony. After that the only time I didn't carry was when I went to the gym, or when I was going onto a military base.

Since then the expansion of awareness has continued. I knew about the "Black Block" in the 90s, and watched the slow morph to "Antifa". Now I'm watching them turn from a bunch of shit disturbers to a anti-western "paramilitary" organization.

Watching the left in this country show their stripes. I'm not surprised that they are there, or what they believe--hell, one of my room mates from the early 1990s was one of the first Green Party members to actually get elected to public office (mostly because he was PhD candidate (IIRC) living and running in a district filled with college students and professors/lecturers). Oddly he ran one time, then disappeared. Anyway, he was an honest guy, and a reasonably good guy, just wrong about everything outside his lab. And maybe baseball. He knew baseball really well, and I didn't.

So no real "before" for me. And no real "after". Still learning, still looking.

Of course, one of the things I'm learning is that many on the left in this country there was no "before" because they're refusing to recognize what is happening right in front of their faces.

There's a lot of things that suck about Western Civilization. But you're going to miss it when it's gone.