Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I was just watching a vid with Janich. The stuff he's teaching looks like "defanging the snake". Given that the trainer he was using didn't look special in any way, I'm guessing that principle is applicable to most knives.

How'bout just shoot'em in the face then use a Swiss Army knife or whatever is available to cut off the ear. My knife(s) are used only to free me up to get to my gun. Frankly Im a fan of sharp spikes because they penetrate clothing easier. All I need is a free second to go to guns and another second to get the ear--those things come off like tearing postage stamps off a roll. Just get it stared, you can make it look pretty later before it goes in the kitty litter

Quote Originally Posted by Shogunater View Post
    When I have the training to do that, I'd prefer to avoid the mental trauma on my end and the career concerned prosecutor that will probably come after me, if possible.
    I don't mean offense but if you're concerned about mental trauma, I suggest that knife fighting is not the right fit for you.

Knife use is visceral. It is wet and squishy. It is NOT for those concerned over mental trauma.

"Defanging the snake" has its merits...but once the knife comes out it is using lethal force. An overzealous prosecutor is unlikely to grasp the difference between the intent of defanging the snake and stabbing to the ground. Also, based on the video you posted, the techniques and strategies advocated there aren't going to win friends and influence people better than any other knife system.

This isn't a criticism of any knife system or training style. Most systems and techniques have merit when applied properly. But most important is having your mind right about what you are doing and when it's appropriate to use it. Badass looking technique is great but an educated mind is better.

It's good that you're asking questions. But keep your bullshit detector on and don't immediately accept something that sounds cool on the internet. Watch, read, listen, and practice. Most important, don't abandon common sense based on cool marketing.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Suggested study material:

Mind Set

Meditations On Violence

Brent Yamamoto

I've said it before, a stab in the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit most of the time.

That said , most folks don't know they have been stabbed or cut till after the fights over. One of my officers got stabbed in the face last week, the officer thought they got punched . Wasn't till the officer was cuffing the suspect and wondered " where is all this blood coming from?" That folks realized the officer was stabbed. Officer is ok, the plastic surgeon did a good job so It will only be a minor warriors beauty mark when it heals.

When I got cut last time, I didn't feel it till afterwards.

Brent and a few others can make stuff look like crouching tiger hidden dragon. Mine usually look like three stooges with chainsaws ;)
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    Brent and a few others can make stuff look like crouching tiger hidden dragon. Mine usually look like three stooges with chainsaws ;)
    Three stooges with chainsaws gets the job done! A stab to the taint indeed! (I've considered stealing that one from you Coastalcop!)

On crouching tiger stuff...my view is this. Making it look pretty is not the goal. Making it effective is the goal. But I think we should keep practicing to make it better than effective. Make it smooth, make it balanced, make it relaxed...make it f***ing awesome. Then it will be pretty because it's good.

Pretty techniques do not make good fighting techniques. Good fighting techniques done exceptionally well might be pretty...but pretty is a by-product of good.
    Brent Yamamoto

Mine usually look like three stooges with chainsaws ;)
    OK I needed a good chuckle so thanks for that!

On another note: If it looks stupid, but works who cares!

SD
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Quote Originally Posted by Shogunater View Post
    Huh...That is the exact opposite of what I've been lead to believe.

What about limb destruction and pressure point control?
    What about it? Stab stab stab until they quit moving. Neck, solar plexus, face, and anywhere else that will bleed a lot or incapacitate them.

If you attack them fast enough and hard enough, most people won't be able to do much about it.
    Last edited by H60DoorGunner; 11-21-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Three stooges with chainsaws gets the job done! A stab to the taint indeed! (I've considered stealing that one from you Coastalcop!)

On crouching tiger stuff...my view is this. Making it look pretty is not the goal. Making it effective is the goal. But I think we should keep practicing to make it better than effective. Make it smooth, make it balanced, make it relaxed...make it f***ing awesome. Then it will be pretty because it's good.

Pretty techniques do not make good fighting techniques. Good fighting techniques done exceptionally well might be pretty...but pretty is a by-product of good.
    As always Brent you are welcome to it. I was smoother once, then had to get used to fighting in a bat belt and carrier. That and momma didn't name me "grace". ;)
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

I've said it before, a stab in the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit most of the time.
    Not exactly the taint, but it used to be taught to cut(stab) in the groin on either side of the scrotum and try for the femoral artery...runs shallow there...as does the Brachial artery just above the elbow...a miss in either place is still an effective cut.