Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Aggression and Thinking in Violence

As Gabe and I were discussing this topic I stumbled across an idea. When you are immersed in a language you don't just translate what you see and hear in that language, you begin to think in it. I believe that the disconnect occurs because people are translating violence like a second language rather than thinking in the language of violence. Therefore, they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic.

So how do you learn to think in violence? Hard to say. I don't really have a great answer for you either but maybe some suggestions.

First, spend time with people who are no stranger to violence, not only that, if you can find those who enjoy it that's even better. As you spend time with people who see it as a natural process of life and living, who aren't shocked or offended by it, hell even laugh about it your mentality will eventually shift to that of those whom you associate.

Second, exposure. Become a student of violence, do things that scare you and get your heart rate up. Ride rollercoasters, bungie jump, sky dive. Anything that makes you aware of your own mortality and builds your self confidence by overcoming fear. Most people fear violence, they fear it because it's shocking and foreign, like the first time you drove a car it's awkward and uncomfortable.

Third, educate. You have to educate yourself. By building your martial skill sets you build your own confidence to handle a violent encounter. While you may never enjoy getting hit, choked out, or all the little welts caused by force on force training, you'll begin to appreciate that you can handle it. Then you notice as you get better at it you get hit less. Start training your mind to think a certain way. When I see some "tragedy" on the news or in my Facebook news feed, I usually send up a little prayer that I'm there next time. I think to my self how I would have reacted, and my teeth and jaw start to clench and sometimes I even get a little adrenaline push thinking about stabbing/shooting/beating some turd into the after-life.

You have to build this aggression, this need to be violent within your self. That way when your event happens it's like releasing a tide and you just handle it and solve the problem.

But hey, what do I know about the topic?
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Excellent post Greg.

As we (Demosthenes, Hasenkamp, Nichols and I) were driving, Greg mentioned "thinking in violence". It immediately resonated with me (And I was pissed that I had not thought of it!)

When you're immersed in another language, you don't just speak it, you begin to think in it. Spend long enough in another culture, and you begin to dream in it.

As students of violence, we must immerse ourselves in this language. Violence as a second language (VSL) is not good enough. Fluency is required.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Great Post Greg.

I have plenty of aggression and a tendancy to violence, the main problem with the whole setup is that the use of violence and exertion of ones aggression is a big no no in society. Had the opertunity where a heathen said F*&k You to me today, felt myself get to that point of violence, and turned away. Cant start moering the guy (woulda been fun).
    The aggression and violence needs to be trained aswell and exerted at some point. Maybe thats where FoF comes into play, I dont know.
    what I do know is that sharpening that sword daily turns into a Lava chamber inside your heart that boils and boils and needs to be handled carefully. Cause society has become Pu&&ies, and violent men are frowned upon and outlawed.
    If my time must come, let it be when I am protecting my loved ones. Let there be a pile of brass scattered around me and a pile of my enemies at my feet. Let my slides be locked open on empty mags and my knife broken. Let my face be bloody from biting the throat of my last foe and let me be wearing a necklace of fresh ears. Take me to Your Heavens and let me hear the laughter of my children as they reenact the fight and I will rest peacefully.- Edelweiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Boetman View Post
    Great Post Greg.

I have plenty of aggression and a tendancy to violence, the main problem with the whole setup is that the use of violence and exertion of ones aggression is a big no no in society. Had the opertunity where a heathen said F*&k You to me today, felt myself get to that point of violence, and turned away. Cant start moering the guy (woulda been fun).
    The aggression and violence needs to be trained aswell and exerted at some point. Maybe thats where FoF comes into play, I dont know.
    what I do know is that sharpening that sword daily turns into a Lava chamber inside your heart that boils and boils and needs to be handled carefully. Cause society has become Pu&&ies, and violent men are frowned upon and outlawed.
    That's called emotional maturity
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Nailed it.

When you need light, you flip the switch. Nothing more than that.

Wow, the irony of Greg Nichols extolling emotional maturity. ;)
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I think you might be right. Though thinking in violence brings a whole new spin to the meaning of emotional maturity. Correct?
    If my time must come, let it be when I am protecting my loved ones. Let there be a pile of brass scattered around me and a pile of my enemies at my feet. Let my slides be locked open on empty mags and my knife broken. Let my face be bloody from biting the throat of my last foe and let me be wearing a necklace of fresh ears. Take me to Your Heavens and let me hear the laughter of my children as they reenact the fight and I will rest peacefully.- Edelweiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Boetman View Post
    I think you might be right. Though thinking in violence brings a whole new spin to the meaning of emotional maturity. Correct?
    Correct. You can't be an 8 year old with a can of petrol and a lighter
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Very good topic of discussion. And I concur that it transcends more than just "mindset", although that is a component; to liken it to a language is indeed a very good analogy.

As it is with languages there are different dialects and accents however the root of the language is the same. Just as a man from Montana can effectively hold a conversation with someone from Yorkshire England.

For example; a few weeks ago http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...-fuck-Off-!!!! http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...ture-continues Greg and I were at a little bar in the backwoods enjoying some libations. I was half-seated with my back to the bar facing the door and Greg was sitting on a stool in front of me facing away from the door. At one point 3 men purposefully entered the bar and Greg immediately queued in on me and said something to the effect of "T; are you good?" while turning around. The answer was "Yeah, no worries".

And that is the real point of this discussion; Greg and I have only met on two occasions and come from different backgrounds and experiences, yet both being fluent in the root language of violence we were communicating thru that language. (Even while in a place that neither of us had been before and having consumed a "respectable" amount of alcohol).

So yes violence is a language and it is more complex than simply mind-set or body language.
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

Its more a way of life. Kinda gets into your blood. The Warriors Way.

Very good post Greg, you hit the nail on the head.

It's an odd dichotomy. When you change your actions you change the way you think, and when you think differently your actions will automatically change to the way you think. In other words you need to build pathways in your thinking that lead to acting in violence. you do this with training and association. Once you do it long enough you will think in rather than translate to violence in thought, deed, and action.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual