Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seven Indicators of Too Much Sugar

https://youtu.be/SjZiSqKYxx8

My dad sent me the above video, which discusses what the thread title says. This isn't hugely surprising to any of us here, but the beginning is a good summary of the health conditions implicated, plus a list of indicators one is consuming too much sugar. I don't think I consume that much, but I check a lot of the boxes on the indicators. Yes, there can be other causes, but this was reason for me to pause and reflect on my own diet a bit.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

So far today I've had about 90 grams of sugar. That's about 7 tablespoons (granulated), and 348 calories.

One day I ate a lot of cake. The day total was 350 grams sugar which is 28 tablespoons (1 3/4 cups) and 1,355 calories. That is also about equal to a dozen nicer donuts. Not a healthy day.

It is easy enough to track with a calorie app. And very surprising.

Same here. My T bloodwork shows high blood sugar--prediabetic-- and it shocked me.
    A nondrinker at 68, 6'1+ and 188# this morning, reasonably fit and strong, I did not expect this.

Immediate reduction in the amount of fruit and grains eaten and a hard look at how I consume protein.

Get tested. Easier to play the hand you're dealt if you get a look at the cards.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:28

Seven Warning Signs of Too Much Sugar:
    1. Frequent Urination
    2. Thirsty/Dry Mouth
    3. Hungry Between Meals
    4. Blurred Vision
    5. Easily Irritated
    6. Fatigue Despite Sleeping
    7. Genital Itching

Another takeaway: the test for insulin resistance is called HOMA-IR.

After watching this, I actually feel better about this subject than I would have before watching it. He doesn't provide a metric for "frequent" urniation, so I'm going on my subjective analysis. While I'm old enough now that I don't usually make it through the night without getting up to pee, I don't think my overall pattern could be classified as "frequent." I force myself to drink enough water that I almost never feel thirsty. After changing my diet around about a decade ago by significantly reducing my carb intake, I no longer get those in-between-meal hunger pangs. No blurred vision. I'm often irritated, but I wouldn't say easily irritated. My irritation is earned. I do feel more fatigue these days than I used to, even with good sleep. (Eventually I'll get on the T-Train, and I anticipate that will help.) And the last symptom fortunately hasn't manifested itself either. Now, when I see some redneck scratching his nuts in public, I'm going to wonder if he's actually pre-diabetic.

I grew up with a father who had juvenile diabetes, so I became cognizant of the issues here at a young age. It didn't stop me from eating like an idiot for the first 30 years of my life, though. For those who are unfamiliar with the process, checking your blood sugar is quite easy. You can buy a test kit at your local drug store for around $20-30. Just put a fresh test strip into the machine, prick your finger, and touch the end of the test strip to the blood droplet. You should get a number around 100. Blood sugar changes pretty quickly, so you'll see the difference in results before and after a meal. If you are healthy, and you sit down to a big bowl of ice cream, you might get a result of 100 before the ice cream, and then 120 afterward. But if it shoots up from 100 to 180, that's a problem. If you don't have any insulin resistance, repeated testing will get boring quickly. You'll test over and over, and you'll keep getting results between 90 and 110. If that's the case, you're good to go. Unless you have juvenile (Type 1) diabetes or hypoglycemia, you are unlikely see any low results. It might dip to 80, but if you test at 60 that's a red flag. Most people, though, are worried about going high, not low. If your blood sugar regularly runs high after a meal, that indicates your body isn't producing enough insulin quickly enough. That's diabetes (or pre-diabetes).

You can also use a tester to measure your own body's glycemic response to different foods. Test before and after eating a steak and potato, then (on another day) before and after a big plate of pasta. If you are healthy, the difference won't be huge but it's enough to be measurable.
    Virtute et Armis

Reduce the carbs. Even the "healthy" ones like grains and fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    A nondrinker at 68

As someone who has met you in person, XO and I would never have believed that was your actual age.
    "If you decide you can do something, you will." -Gabe, KWTL

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar01 View Post
    As someone who has met you in person, XO and I would never have believed that was your actual age.
    Ditto. I can't believe I got tossed around like that by a senior citizen.
    Virtute et Armis

I highly recommend the zero carb carnivore diet. You won’t believe how much younger you feel when you have no sugars and carbs messing up your body.

My 65 year old uncle didn’t even have enough energy to walk around the block despite being a mostly healthy weight. 90 some days into carnivore he’s doing sprints and lifting heavy in the gym. No he ain’t fast yet or super strong but what he’s doing now is highly impressive compared to what he was doing 90 days ago.

I highly recommend the zero carb carnivore diet. You wonít believe how much younger you feel when you have no sugars and carbs messing up your body.

My 65 year old uncle didnít even have enough energy to walk around the block despite being a mostly healthy weight. 90 some days into carnivore heís doing sprints and lifting heavy in the gym. No he ainít fast yet or super strong but what heís doing now is highly impressive compared to what he was doing 90 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    It's not the age, it's the ml--what was I saying again?

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

Vale et omnia quae.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    It's not the age, it's the ml--what was I saying again?

Vale et omnia quae.