Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    My biggest lemon is my Ruger #1 Light Sporter. OTOH I LOVE my CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55.

Funny 6.5x55 is mentioned, if I had to choose a rifle that isn`t my AR or AK for this purpose, it`d be my Swede Mauser sporter. It wears an ancient Williams peep sight and Korean war era 1907 sling in a Fajen stock that fits me like it was tailor made for me alone.

nBUW1tM.jpg

"they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hatfield View Post
    My biggest lemon is my Ruger #1 Light Sporter. OTOH I LOVE my CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55.
    Mark what is it you don't like about the Ruger #1? I do wish they were lighter, and I wish that Ruger would bring back the #3's; but a full stocked #1 just gets me every time I see one

I love he CZ550 FS and 6.5x55 IS a great cartridge....Together they make a great combo

I would just swap out the current furniture on my vepr 308 with wood furniture and a three round flush fitting magazine. A nice leather sling with a Deer embossed on it would also add to the look. If I understand what your really getting at... then this get up will work and no one has to know that you have a couple of 20 round magazines in your pack.

About the #1 Light Sporter. This was purchased new 10 or 12 years ago. Generally four inch groups at 100 yards. Put on a Hicks Accurizer. By tinkering with that I can get 'popsicle stick' groups, no horizontal spread but extreme vertical stringing. Trigger was quite heavy and had to be tweaked when new. Ruled out the possibility of a scope problem. Had tried budget and premium bullets of 150 -175 grains. Gun disgusted me so much that I haven't touched it for maybe nine years.

Later found an article where the author so loved his four but later admitted that he had eight others which he got rid of, went through 12 of the same model to get 4 which were ok. I learned that generally, for this model, 1 of 4 were great, 1 of 4 were ok, and the other 2 were junk. The only fix for the bad 2 was to replace all but the action and butt stock.

One thing which I did not do was try different seating depths. Heard that some of these had extremely long throats. If I ever feel like playing with it again I'll test that idea, seat the bullets out farther.

Mark, I have built a few #1 Rugers and the 22 Hornet that I still have did what you describe when I first got it - popsicle stick groups. In fact, mine shot two distinct groups with one ~1.5 moa higher than the other. The biggest fix for mine was bedding the forend (did the stock too but not sure if that changed much) and load development. I actually bedded the forend on mine to the hanger and to the receiver, along with using an accurizer-type screw in the forend hanger. It has shot a number of 5 shot groups in the 0.2's now and is reliably in the .3-.4 moa range.

You're right about the long throat, these are almost like a Weatherby in that respect. If you play with it any more, try seating as long as possible and using a slower burn rate powder that gives maximum case fill.

I have shot Yondering's #1. That thing is a tack driver now.

Light wood guns I have a Rossi 94 in 44 mag with 16" barrel. It worked great up to this year. I figured out what the problem was and now it works great again. I also have an older Marlin 336 in 30-30 and a Winchester Ranger (94) in 30-30 that my dad gave me. Real light are my 30 carbines. I had one I bought years ago when I was a kid and it shot great. Then they came up in price. I have since sold that one, to fund a S&W M1917, but I still have two others.

If I am deer or elk hunting I have a Browning X-bolt stainless in 300 WSM with a Leupold 3x9. It is dead nuts accurate and weighs a little less than 7.75 pounds. I sold my Sako 7mm Rem mag to pay for it. Since it was a special order through GJ Joes I paid $725. $25 more than I sold the Sako for, which made the wife happy.
    Common sense is not a common virtue!