Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Along with leaving enough room in between you and the driver in front of you, have an exit plan - rule of thumb, if your bumper clears the curb your vehicle will get over it. I tend to only drive in the right or left most lanes for this reason.

I don't wear a seatbelt in parking lots or any low speed areas. The seatbelt goes on once I get onto a road and comes off before entering one of those areas.

Carrying appendix, the first thing I do after putting on my seatbelt is pull the front of my shirt out over the top of the seatbelt for easier access to my weapon.

If at all possible, I back into parking spots.

I don't park in front of the windows of stop and robs (convenience stores/gas stations/etc.), but rather on the side. I also look through the windows as I'm walking up to insure they are not living up to their nom de guerre.

Doors are always locked on my vehicle and I only unlock my door when getting in and out (or whichever door I need access to). I don't like vehicles that unlock all doors as soon as the engine stops or key comes out of the ignition.
    "So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people." - Tecumseh

As well as approaching your vehicle indirectly as others have suggested, once you get to your ride. look into it, into the back seat, footwells, etc. for an unwanted passenger..

Check under your vehicle while you are still a ways away from it.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by shooterb View Post
    Doors are always locked on my vehicle and I only unlock my door when getting in and out (or whichever door I need access to). I don't like vehicles that unlock all doors as soon as the engine stops or key comes out of the ignition.
    My vehicle unlocked automatically when I got it, it had a settings function in the computer, I turned off the auto unlock, auto headlights when vehicle turns off and when unlucking by remote, and if I want I can turn off the auto headlights when starting but I'm only parked a few seconds after I crank. I also keep the interior lights off unless I need them.

I also park near any shopping cart cages, they have a little more traffic from shoppers and employees (hopefully otherwise known as witnesses).
    I am willing to load groceries then lock the car for the walk to the driver's door but I prefer to load them behind the driver's seat if I have too much to carry and load through the driver's door as I get in to drive.
    The grocery in my town has the employees push the cart to your car for you unless you ask them not too. Discourages the bandits and lets you walk ahead and scout better.
    Last edited by Ansbach; 07-20-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling

While driving or walking I check to see who's behind(around) me. If someones following me, I want to know before I get where I'm going. I keep my car doors locked and my windows up if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Great Situational awareness & tactics! However, these tactics paint a picture of life in S. Africa that is not safe & peaceful. I believe life in the US is migrating in that direction as well. Since y'all have lived that way for a while, I'd be interested to hear more details about the threats you folks see and the tactics astute warriors use to counter them. Thanks!! S.
    Our biggest threat on farms are a "Farm Attack" This can consist from a 'robery', to an rape, toture and murder session. Torture sessions are not your average waterboarding.....
    I believe our biggest downfall is the sheeple syndrome. 'I wont happen to me' This is also the reason why training seminars and courses are very far and few apart. I wanted to get a Wolverine down here for an Suarez course, and the interest was ZERO.

Things I forgot to mention in my first post was tracking, always check for tracks, and attitude. If you behave scared, it atracts the wolves. I look them straight in the eye poised for counterattack at all times. If you shuffle around head on the ground you are food.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansbach View Post
    My vehicle unlocked automatically when I got it, it had a settings function in the computer, I turned off the auto unlock, auto headlights when vehicle turns off and when unlucking by remote, and if I want I can turn off the auto headlights when starting but I'm only parked a few seconds after I crank. I also keep the interior lights off unless I need them.

I also park near any shopping cart cages, they have a little more traffic from shoppers and employees (hopefully otherwise known as witnesses).
    I am willing to load groceries then lock the car for the walk to the driver's door but I prefer to load them behind the driver's seat if I have too much to carry and load through the driver's door as I get in to drive.
    The grocery in my town has the employees push the cart to your car for you unless you ask them not too. Discourages the bandits and lets you walk ahead and scout better.
    Ifi don't park next to a cart cage, I park next to some other object to limit the amount of vehicles around my car.

Quote Originally Posted by JB-Norcal View Post
    I do not drive or park in parking lots with my seat belt on.
    I do that around town.... There's always some bum that tries to come up to the car, but I'm always ready in case they are not benign

If you live in a somewhat secluded area and a car is behind you later in the night, drive past your neighborhood into the next one that is a loop or has more than one entrance. If the car follows, they don't know which 'hood you live in. If they follow you back out, then you probably have a problem and need to take additional action.

This has happened to me more than once (I used to drive flashy cars).

4S rule goes a long way on this subject. Keep your head straight.