Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JB-Norcal View Post
    I do not drive or park in parking lots with my seat belt on.
    Whoa, that's a good one too!

Also, this one used to be taught in driver's ed.

When stopping at a traffic light and such, make sure you can see the tires from the car in front of you touch the ground. This will ensure you have enough room to travel around without having to back up.
    I talked with a woman who always obeyed that rule (bet she still does today). She also never put her 911 in neutral while at a stoplight: foot on clutch, car in gear. Those 2 things saved her from being crushed by a giant dually truck driven by an exhausted but sober man.

She told me, "I saw that he couldn't stop so I turned the wheel and punched it." She had room to move, because her bumper wasn't jammed up behind the clueless car in front of her.

Truck ended up rolling over the Porsche's engine compartment, and not her head.

Along with restaurant seating, I know prefer tables over booths. I've reset some hosts' OODA loops when I say I prefer a table over booth. Easier to move away from.
    NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPITH, Chief Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Certified Armorer
    Smith & Wesson Certified Armorer

The other factor is the ABGO - "Average Bubba Gun Owner". These guys were of course born with the ability to fight, f***, drive, and shoot, without any training, and since they are (Insert Favorite State Here) By God, need no training....besides...training is expensive and beer is on sale at Walmart. - Gabe

TWOTU Since April 2014

HRO 6/7
    CRG-2
    TASI

Very interesting stuff, to say the least. I started always carrying a flashlight with my EDC load out because I hate when the lights go out and the emergency lights don't work for crap.

Sent from the TACC OPS Center
    I kneel for no man and pray to only one God; Jesus Christ.

تدريب لتكون في نهاية المطاف الأمريكي الكافر

CRG 09/2012, TMCO 11/2012, RGF I 09/2013, ACRG 11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Roadfoolsride View Post
    Along with restaurant seating, I know prefer tables over booths. I've reset some hosts' OODA loops when I say I prefer a table over booth. Easier to move away from.
    Much easier to tip a table and throw a chair than to scoot out of a booth.

At our farm gate I always put the car in reverse, so the lights illuminate behind us. We ID spots of concern (bush at gate etc) that we watch when we stop. (Boet were atacked at his gate last year)
    Lock doors behind yourself, my wife always lock me out of our bedroom when I go outside. I lock the exit door. If I get ambushed, atleast they cant gain access to our bedroom. Always arm my wife when we get home. Always have an exit behind you, but try it not be an entry for the boogieman. When I shower, I put my gun on a chair under a towel close at hand. I also put somthing on the door handle, so when turned, it will fall, and give me a Second extra.(Hopefully) In public wife on my left, daughter carried between us.
    Assess all people around me all the time. Atleast once a day my hand reaches for my gun (not doing the whole John Wayne throw open coat, hand just goes to my hip, or hovers near my gun) when IDing a possible threat. (Also one of the reasons I am am changing to AIWB when my new gun comes much less telling move) Always have a semi auto/ shottie at hand after dark.
    All family gatherings my Mini 14 attends, it SHTF there, our whole family tree can get wiped out.
    Have some Kevlar close to hand. Still want to have a 2mx2m Kev 'Blanket' made to cover my loved ones in a corner/car when needed.
    Wherever I am, everything gets summed up into how usefull a weapon it could be. Then visualizing it makes it more natural when needed.
    Just my .....like in .04sents worth....in a very primitive kinda way.

A couple things when staying in hotels. As Kid said, count the doors to the nearest exit. I do it for two exits, in case one is blocked by fire and I take the wife and kids with, so they know too. We always stay on the second floor so we don't have to worry as much about about ingress from the windows, but we're still low enough to egress in emergency. We use a portable alarm on the door at night so we're not the ones getting suprised. The do not disturb sign is put out to deter housekeeping and in sketchy instances, we set the door alarm when we leave the room. We also inform management that our room is not to be entered unless we call in advance.

these are all great.

i like to play the "is he armed" game; clothing, shoes, knife clip, bulge, tacticool accessories, etc...
    i also like to 'size' people up on the regular...could i take him? how? what would their positioning be to me when if they were to keep advancing? i don't know anything about Systema, but I try to envision those types of off-balancing attacks when I do this.

2 seconds to cover, where do i go? what do i do when i get there?

i memorize license plates. ill be driving down the road and realizing i'm repeating a license plate number from a car that got too close to me 10 minutes ago. i primarily do this because hit and runs are a big problem in Baltimore.

if i were to ambush me, where would i be?

i use the desk chair at hotels to barricade the door.

spot the plain clothes loss prevention guy.

whenever i leave the house for trips i will leave 'tells' in the form of scotch tape on doors and drawers...we have a roommate and sometimes a friend of the SO will come by to walk the dog.

i like to watch security to see how they operate and then sneak into backstage/catering tents/club level section's at concerts, festivals, sporting events.

someone here mentioned playing a game where they use commonly known character names to id people in a crowd..."Elmer Fudd at 5 o'clock" is referring to the old bald guy with the flannel shirt...my SO and I are getting good at this.
    "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known". - Sydney Carton, A Tale of Two cities - Charles Dickens

Drink from a long neck bottle at the bar. At least one and don't let go of it. Makes a great improvised weapon when some drunk idiot sets his sights on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunwillie View Post
    Drink from a long neck bottle at the bar. At least one and don't let go of it. Makes a great improvised weapon when some drunk idiot sets his sights on you.
    Jip forgot the ole bottle neck introduced into the left eye socket. Well done. Common guys we need to get something about ears going for uncle Edel the war lord of ears. Sure his got something spectacular Brewing.relief2_thumbnail.jpg

Your camera on your smart phone will let you see IR light. Such as a remote, camera with ir, or a ir light