Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Going From Fat as F--k to Strong as Sh!t

I had mentioned in a previous thread that I had gone down from 376 lbs to 235 (at 6'5"). Greg recommended that I start a thread to keep track of my progress and hold myself accountable, so that's what I'm doing.

I've been following a Primal diet since June 3rd. I'm eating milk products (I use butter on frying pans and some vegetables, and eat little bit of cheese now and then), but no milk. I've been following the diet religiously and have been really pleased with it. I dealt with "carb flu" for about a week, but that's gone. I now only need to eat two meals a days and maybe a couple snacks. It used to be that I'd get in a pissy mood if I went more than 2-3 hrs without food. I weighed myself yesterday, and I'm down to 230.4, my lowest yet. I was really surprised about this, since I'm pretty sure I'm eating a little too many nuts and fruits. I need to substitute these for more vegetables. The diet has definitely taken away the "carb bloat" I would frequently have. I look a lot trimmer, even though I've only lost about 5 lbs since starting it. The diet also makes me very satisfied in a way that I can't really describe. Maybe it's that my body's happy to get the food it's supposed to: meat and vegetables.

Regarding exercise, I met with a Starting Strength coach for two sessions to learn how to do a proper squat, dead lift, press, bench press and power clean. I purchased a gym membership this weekend to a local 24-hour gym in my town. It's not the greatest, but I'll be able to do all the exercises, and they're open early morning, which will be the best time for me to strength train. I'll post here once a week or so with my numbers. I'll be following Rip's Novice program, of course. The gym also offers a free body fat percentage testing, which I will schedule and post the results.
    Last edited by Eric Tull; 07-13-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Added link
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

This is awesome!
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Out f'ing standing! Keep it up!
    www.ohioppt.com
    Twitter @Ohioppt

Great! I love to get the body fat tests just to keep track and make adjustments (monthly) to my diet. but the shirtless selfies are what keep me at it. you see the progress or the difference when you're slipping when you put them side by side.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Great! I love to get the body fat tests just to keep track and make adjustments (monthly) to my diet. but the shirtless selfies are what keep me at it. you see the progress or the difference when you're slipping when you put them side by side.

Some trainers would never show up at the beach without one of those oversized sun moo-moos (as they mutter something about overexposure to the sun) much less take a pic and post it of themselves w/o a shirt.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Good point, I'll snaps some pics to help measure progress.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Quote Originally Posted by ericmt View Post
    Good point, I'll snaps some pics to help measure progress.
    Tracking the weights you lift and periodically taking shirtless pics are really the only two metrics you need. Nothing else really matters.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Great deal, keep up the hard but rewarding work
    I kneel for no man and pray to only one God; Jesus Christ.

تدريب لتكون في نهاية المطاف الأمريكي الكافر

CRG 09/2012, TMCO 11/2012, RGF I 09/2013, ACRG 11/2013

Get it and keep on it bro. I'll be your biggest cheerleader
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Congratulations, now get back to work !!!