Default AAR: CRG-2 June 27-28 with Randy Harris in Lewisburg, TN

I attended a CRG-2 class taught by Randy Harris on June 27-28 in Lewisburg, TN. My dad and I drove 11 hours from Iowa for the class, hoping to return deadlier. Specifically, we wanted to learn how to properly get off the X while drawing and shooting. These goals were definitely accomplished.

After a safety briefing, Randy lined us up and punched us in the gut, one by one. No, this wasn’t an excuse for Randy to beat up his students; it was a biomechanical drill to illustrate the importance of squaring up to an opponent rather than blading your torso away in a Weaver stance. Showing rather than telling became a consistent theme throughout the course. Randy didn’t just order us to do something; he explained and demonstrated why we should do it that way. Randy was also an encyclopedia of knowledge when it came to crime and violence. He explained a number of common techniques criminals use and how to counter them. I learned a lot just from the very short lectures he gave during live-fire breaks.

Next, we reviewed grip, stance and draw, then quickly started working on shooting while moving. And move we did. Now understand, movement in this class wasn’t a ridiculous sidestep or walking straight forwards and backwards (what on earth is the point of that, anyway?). We actually turned our feet and went to 3 or 9 o’clock while drawing and shooting. Randy explained that all of us know how to walk and have been doing it for decades; there’s no reason it should change when we have a pistol in our hand. We also don’t need to learn 50 ways to get off the X. The class utilized Hick’s Law, which states that the more possible choices you have, the longer it will take you to decide what to do. We learned one common-sense way to get off the X, and used that template for movement on the 3 o’clock, 9 o’clock, 1 o’clock, etc.

A lot of schools spend a little bit of time on movement, then go right back to doing the drills without movement. Not so with CRG-2. Once we learned how to move at 3 and 9 o’clock, we did that in every drill for the rest of the class. The only time I didn’t shoot while moving was when we briefly worked on shooting behind cover and against longer-range targets. We ALWAYS moved when we shot. This allowed everyone to simultaneously learn new skills while working on what they’d already learned.

We also spent a portion of the class on 0-5 ft shooting, which gave us a taste of CRG-5. I agree with what Tom S. said regarding his experience with krav maga. I’ve studied krav for a couple years, and I was very surprised how well it fit into this course. Both CRG-2 and krav teach simple and effective techniques, such as bursting in and closing the distance or getting in tight with your opponent. I believe Gabe has mentioned that you shouldn’t fear being close to your opponent; you should make him fear it. The class highlighted material I’d learned in krav; it just integrated a pistol. Now, don’t think you need to learn krav maga or another martial art before taking this class. Randy did a thorough job explaining strikes and blocks; someone with no experience in martial arts could easily keep up with this portion of the course.

I like to think of deadliness as a number on a scale. Whenever you devote time to firearm practice, that number goes up. If you lift heavy weights, lose some fat, finish a sprinting session, or go to a martial arts class, the number goes up. If you want your number to go WAY up in just two days, take CRG-2. After taking this class, my “deadliness number” went up higher in a shorter amount of time than anything I’d ever done before. And that’s what all of us on this forum want to do, right?

Very nice, good sir!

good stuff - sounds like it was a blast. stoked your dad and you are so damn mobile and willing to make the long runs for training.

you missed me a *little* bit, right?
    "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known". - Sydney Carton, A Tale of Two cities - Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by Rummy View Post

you missed me a *little* bit, right?
    You should've come; it was an awesome course with TONS of movement. But no bananas for me this class. They accidentally got left in the hot car.