Default AAR Close Range Gunfighting Lewisburg, TN

This past weekend, Warriortalk member, BDC, hosted a Close Range Gunfighting event about an hour outside of Nashville, TN.Thanks should go to him for putting forth the effort to get this going and for how smoothly things went.Iíd also like to thank Billy for allowing the use of his spacious and well maintained range.We had beautiful weather in the 70ís and 80ís with just a couple of showers on Saturday.Not a big deal as we worked through them.It may be raining when your life depends on it.

Randy Harris was kind enough to lead the training in a thorough and professional manner.Egos tend to be large and rampant in the fighting/gun-fighting world.This is not the case with Randy.It is evident that he knows his trade, is confident, and truly capable in all things combative.He has the heart of a teacher and is able to provide/demonstrate the information without Ďtalking downí to the students. All of the material was presented in a logical progression with bits of personal experience, real world applications and an equal measure of humor.

We had good attendance with folks from all over Tennessee, Texas, and even Iowa.Ages ranged from 17 to just north of 60.Everyone was fairly squared away on equipment and skillset. There were a couple of LEOs present as well. The pacing and material provided a challenge for the more experienced shooters without overwhelming the ones with less trigger time.Equipment used was predominately Glock, although there was a M&P, a XD, a CZ75, a 1911, and a Browning Hi Power present.From what I can tell all of them ran well when the shooter did his part.I ran a box stock Glock 19 which ran flawlessly through approximately 600 rounds across two day.Two gents were running SI red dot Glocks.The effectiveness of that system really canít be overstated.Plain and simple, I WANT one.I donít need one but I will be getting one at some point.Those that were using pistols with a manual safety commented on different occasions about not being able to manipulate the safety, under the stress of moving and shooting, consistently.

Day 1 started with the signing of waivers and mandatory safety meeting.Randy filled us in on what to expect, what weíd be doing, and the general mindset of Suarez International on gunfighting.We started with body mechanics to have the best frame to fire from.A tune up on grip, sights, and trigger discipline followed by a lot of dry work.Movement was introduced during the dry fire stage. After a tasty lunch at a local pasta/gyro joint we started running live fire drills based on the dry work we had been practicing.By the time day one was over we had shot with lights, offhand, defensively from a clinch, shot proactively with precision shots out to about 25 yards, and everything in between.

Day 2 we talked about case studies, documentation, and data on caliber debates.I wonít cover that here because if youíve been on Warriortalk more than about 3 minutes you know the consensus.Randy showed us some sexy Suarez Intl tools like the Grab N Stab, his red dot Glock, and we talked about selecting and using a knife both defensively and offensively.From there we transitioned into some hand to hand combatives.Simple gross motor movements that donít require thought, just explosiveness and aggression.Once comfortable with these concepts we worked on transitioning from strikes to the firearm. Next we got back on the trigger running drills from the day before at a faster pace and with higher levels of accuracy expected.Our host grilled some tasty venison/local beef burgers on site.We topped the protein off with some homemade ice cream (thanks Tres!) and got back to work. Now fueled and caffeinated, the afternoon was spent using cover, concealment, and numerous fun drills.Everyone finished strong with a couple of drills combining everything we had worked.I can say, I noticed huge improvements in everyoneís speed, smoothness, and accuracy.We all left more deadly than when we arrived.

Some takeaway observations:

• Move!
    • Tier one pistols are worth it
    • Modern pistols are better than the classics if given the choice
    • AIWB will work much better for me once I drop 20lbs
    • My offhand performance is lacking. Iíve been skipping it during my dryfire practice and it showed
    • Mindset/Skill/Tools/Agility/Strength/Speed should all be Tier One to be at the top of the food chain. You can certainly get by with less but if given the opportunity, why would you? I have work to do in several of those areas.
    • Being able to spend a weekend with like-minded warriors learning often overlooked skills is priceless
    • Did I mention MOVE?

I personally am going to focus more on fitness to get my weight/strength/speed/agility to a better performing level.Iím going to devote more dry fire time to off hand and working on busting off the Xmore explosively while refining my drawstroke.Iím going to do what needs to be done to get in at least another Suarez course next year.My diet is abysmal and will be changed promptly to help with my goals of better health.

That covers the weekendís festivities in a very general way for Close Range Gunfighting.Iím sure I left some things out.Any oversight is unintentional and isnít meant to slight anyone or any of the training.

I want to finish this up with some thoughts on some proven systems of combat and how well the Suarez System integrates with these.Iím going to speak specifically on my understanding/knowledge of Krav Maga and how similar the concepts are to what Gabe teaches.If this becomes to much like a guerrilla marketed infomercial then moderators feel free to edit it out, as that is not my intent.

I have approximately 8 years of experience in Krav, with between 4-5 of those years as an instructor.Krav was developed by a boxer, wrestler, and practitioner of judo (Imi Lichtenfeld) to help civilians survive Nazi brutality.What he developed was later used to train the military of newly formed Israel.Simple, gross motor movements that work under any conditions for almost any body type were in order to get the soldiers up to proficiency quickly.What was useful was taken from various forms of fighting, simplified, tested, tweaked, and then battle tested.Things that didnít work were evaluated, re-worked, or ditched.To this day, many of the concepts are still tested and modified to be simpler or more effective.

It is in the training/drilling structure where I see a lot of similarities.Suarez and Krav both spend lots of time teaching concepts rather than techniques.Or rather, having one concept that works for a wide range of eventualities, instead of having one technique to counter specific attacks.As is well documented on WT and elsewhere, the chaotic nature of fights doesnít allow one the luxury of time to pick one of 100 specific responses to a particular type of ambush.Other similarities would be the Ďfight stanceí.Hips and shoulders square to the threat as opposed to bladed provides a more stable base for hand to hand or weapons work.It also allows for better movement in all directions if needed.By stance, in Krav and what we worked over the weekend, I mean itís more or less where you wind up in a solid squared off, athletic position that is dependent upon terrain and where the threat is.It is not so much, your feet have to be here and here exactly x inches apart.Movement off the X (off the line of attack) and getting to a greater position of advantage either behind or further away.Overwhelming the attacker and his/her OODA loop by closing distance with a flurry of controlled violence.This can be in the form of elbows/knees/head butts/palm strikes/hammer strikes/stomps/bites/stabs/gunfire/etcÖ or a combination of the above. All of these are practiced at a slow and controlled pace until a certain comfort level has been achieved, then they are tested via drills and live resisting opponents while under stress.

All of this to say, I think Gabe and his band of merry pirates have carved a niche among the best of fighting systems.It is of ridiculous value to train with Suarez Intl because you are getting training that applies to empty hand, pistol, rifle, knife, stick and desk stapler. It is presented in a progression and pace that pushes you yet promotes retention. Getting people up to effective fighting speed quickly and efficiently is exactly what I witnessed/participated in this weekend at CRG.For that I am grateful, blessed, and most proud to be a part of the tribe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice AAR! It was a great class! I'll post one in a few days.

Great training with you guys. Thanks for making the trip! I look forward to reading your thoughts about the class.