Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Farmers walks

Quote Originally Posted by SheepDog68 View Post
    Probably doesn't count, but I regularly carry a coal buckets this way every winter!

It's less than 50 yards, but I generally make multiple trips each week and walking on ice and snow does add a little something to it!

SD
    I would say say it counts. For me, I do farmers walks to be able to do that kind of thing when I'm old, not to be good at farmers walks!

Quote Originally Posted by SheepDog68 View Post
    Probably doesn't count, but I regularly carry a coal buckets this way every winter!

It's less than 50 yards, but I generally make multiple trips each week and walking on ice and snow does add a little something to it!

SD
    Definitely counts. I do farmers walks because they are the definition of a full body workout. Walks, swings, squats and pushups could potentially be the only exercises you did and your body would be well served.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    Greg Nichols- Who you are 5 years from now is directly related to the books you read, who you associate with, and how you spend your free time.

Quote Originally Posted by jaowens View Post
    Eldora, I would start using the single bell you have and walk 25-50 yards carrying it one handed. Then switch and repeat. Stop, rest and repeat 2-3 times. If 30 pounds isn't challenging enough use a dumbbell in your offhand or improvise one.(5 gallon bucket, sandbag etc.) I do 4 laps through my house on average before I switch. Which puts me right around 50-60 yards if that helps you any.

Thanks. I'm going to give this a try. We have a nice long driveway which would give me 1/10 mile out and back. I don't think 30 lbs will be enough but we'll see. Gotta start somewhere. Over time I could load up either one or two dumbbells with enough to get a good workout, too.

For variety when I take 1 bell on vaca. I go down overhead, turn around and change hands. Next trip bell in the clean position change hands at the turn and the last round being a "typical" FW.

Quote Originally Posted by Briank View Post
    For variety when I take 1 bell on vaca. I go down overhead, turn around and change hands. Next trip bell in the clean position change hands at the turn and the last round being a "typical" FW.
    Yeah, I didn't think about using the rack position until my last set. I am glad I didn't as I am really feeling it today. Hurts so good.

Greg Nichols- Who you are 5 years from now is directly related to the books you read, who you associate with, and how you spend your free time.

Try 2 5 gallon buckets full of water across semi frozen mud barn lot!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    Try 2 5 gallon buckets full of water across semi frozen mud barn lot!
    Coal is a bit heavier and you don't get wet if you mess up! :) (I've carried my buckets so much that the plastic handles have been replaced with rubber fuel line.)

SD
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

I do sprints on our treadmill 3x per week (2 miles Tue, & Thurs., 3 miles Sunday). Mon., Wed., Fri. I work out with weights. All the workouts run 45 minutes or so. Twice this week I did those unbalanced farmer walks (not running) with a 30 lb. kettlebell thinking 30 might not be enough. Wrong! Switching hands every 1/10 mile I've been getting .8 before my forearms are totally shot. Finished out the normal distance both times after laying it down. My arms recovered quickly but the legs were very sore yesterday. Great workout but I guess I have some work to do.

There are two thresholds that I use for farmers walks:

Distance (50m, 100m, 400m)
    Duration (30s, 45s, 90s)

Occasionally, I'll use a Tabata protocol for total distance in a given number of intervals. So, 20s on 10s off for a total of 8 intervals for max meterage with a consistent weight (50# in each hand) with several attempts over the course of a few months.. The longer distances are as much a gut check as they are grip strength tools.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    Occasionally, I'll use a Tabata protocol for total distance in a given number of intervals.
    I don't know that "tabata" applies to FWs. It's more of an explosive exercise from what I've read, "snatches", "burpees" etc. For myself the goal is to hang on as long as possible, go as far as possible. I'm not sure it's a cardio exercise.