The Suarez Method
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Ok FAL newbie chiming in with more questions! :D I have spent the morning looking over the DSA FAL and am wondering if there is a big difference in the Type I and Type II receivers? Am I correct in thinking that the cuts are made to make the weapon lighter in weight?

Decado

Too funny - we were just discussing this on another thread:

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=12520

There is no functional difference between the metric Type I, II, or III. The difference is in "lightening" cuts - or machining that was done to reduce weight. Mostly people buy the type I or II to match the parts kit they are building (for looks). The Type III is usually cheaper as there is less machining and some would argue slightly stronger because of more metal left in place.

The Type II originally came about because of some failure of the Type I, so you could consider the Type II a "reinforced" Type I - but if I remember correctly the failures were more in the light machine guns than the rifles.

Hope that helps -

Matt
    "The Way is in training" - Miyamoto Musashi

http://www.jinenkanseigi.com
    The best REAL martial arts training in Middle Tennessee

That did help thank you!

Decado

Another thing about the FAL is how robust the mags feel when compared to the AR. The sheet metal used is obviously thicker and the feel like they could take more punishment.

I also like the booming report of the 7.62 over the 5.56's pop. It's a guy thing...

I have and like both for what they are. The AR is a carbine and the FAL is a battle rifle.

Patrick
    Skimming the gene pool...

Gents,

One thing I will add to this thread is that a match is not combat. After a stage you can go pick up your magazines, clean them and reload them at your leisure for the next stage. In a fight, if you drop a magazine, that magazine is gone.

The preferred process is to remove spent magazine, stow it in a bag (or somewhere), replace it with a fresh fully loaded magazine. It doesn't take very long to do once you practice it.

I do not teach dropping rifle magazines. If you are close enough to need a "speed" reload, drawing the pistol will be faster. If you are far when you need a reload, you are usually behind cover or going there, so saving the spent magazine is easy to do.

If your goal is to win games, do what you must, but remember that habits ingrained will be habits you will see again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez
    The preferred process is to remove spent magazine, stow it in a bag (or somewhere), replace it with a fresh fully loaded magazine. It doesn't take very long to do once you practice it.

I do not teach dropping rifle magazines.

If your goal is to win games, do what you must, but remember that habits ingrained will be habits you will see again.
    Thankfully somebody is teaching correct rifle drills.
    Drop the magazine !? - This would have given us '50' during basic !
    Civilians will probably have a pistol at hand. - Most soldiers won't.
    They most certainly cannot throw their magazines away, because soon they will receive a re-supply, and need their magazines to reload.

The reload that I was taught went like this: ( FWIW.)
    Shout loud to your colleges MAGAZINE ( or whatever you have combined,) to alert them to the fact that you are in the process of reloading.
    Grip the FAL magazine, and press the mag' release with the thumb.
    Throw the mag' into a spare pouch, or down your jacket front, - whatever !
    Remove a fresh mag' from your pouch. Insert it, and continue to fight.
    Regards,
    Anthony.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death.
    We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
    And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly.
    Meet him as the proud warrior that you once were, and not as a sniveling coward.
    Nobody lives forever.

Anthony,

Thanks for the post. I see far too many trainers, that should know better, teaching range-based pistol techniques for use with a rifle. For those of you who don't know him, Anthony is a "been there-done that" gent and knows what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    A long time ago I posted this, but I'll post it again.
    A friend of mine who was SBS, told me the following:
    "We went by canoe, inflatable & helicopter etc, before the landings by Commandos & 'Paras' on the Falklands.
    We went in on 'Fighting Patrols', with the specific task of killing.
    The first time we took ARs.
    The next time we swapped our ARs for FALs ( L1A1s.)
    Next, we took as many GPMGs as we could. - Those without a GPMG, took FALs. - When one goes out with the intention of killing, leave the 5.56 at home. An AR is great on exercise, because it is light, but when you get down to business, you want the biggest, most powerfull calibre you can carry."
    I tend to agree.
    Regards,
    Anthony.
    Hi Anthony:

I always respect your posts. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience! The paragraph you submitted here has taken me off the fence choosing between 5.56 or 7.62 for my primary rifle. My rifle platform is the M1A instead of the FAL, but the firepower is the same. ;)

Take care, and thanks again.
    Ready or not, death is coming for you at the appointed time.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Ranger
    Hi Anthony:

I always respect your posts. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience! The paragraph you submitted here has taken me off the fence choosing between 5.56 or 7.62 for my primary rifle. My rifle platform is the M1A instead of the FAL, but the firepower is the same. ;)

Take care, and thanks again.
    Thanks for the complement Long Ranger.
    Please; - Just to be clear, I'm NOT a 5.56 hater.
    But I do ( obviously,) prefer the 7.62.
    I met a few US soldiers & Marines in Iraq who were issued the M14.
    NOT ONE was unhappy with the weapon. All prefered it to the AR.
    Yes;
    It requires certain maintanence, but so what ?
    Look after your M14, and it will look after you !
    IMHO, - You have chosen wisely.
    For the individual who needs a rifle for self-defense, I do favor the 7.62.
    For police/security guards, who work in teams etc, perhaps the 5.56 is the better choice.
    All the best Long Ranger.
    Regards,
    Anthony.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death.
    We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
    And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly.
    Meet him as the proud warrior that you once were, and not as a sniveling coward.
    Nobody lives forever.

I'll note that I'm not a BTDT type what so ever, but I would like to ask some questions about the rifle reloading. Nor am I trying to start a flame here. I've got a lot of respect for Gabe, and he's on my short list of people to train with.

I don't see the reload as being an always this or always that type proposition.

I can envisions situations where dropping an empty to the ground just doesn't matter. Like a swat team raiding a house, or me defending myself in my house. In that situation what has loosing that mag cost me and on the same note, what has retaining the mag really gained me?

If I'm in an LA Riot type situation or a NOLA it seems like retaining the mags would be very prudent.

It seems like one should be able to pick the right tool for the right time. If speed is required drop the empty mag, if it's not store it. It feels like this to me is over simplifying the problem.

Also, if I'm storing rifle mags cause I might need them later shouldn't I be storing all pistol mags cause I might need them later also.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast