SI 2014 Training
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default DSA FAL Scope Mount

I was not clear earlier.
    I have worked with 10+ DSA scope mounts, only currently produced FAL mount worthwhile that I have seen.

I have not seen the ARMS so no opinion, most of their gear I have used is good.

I am not sure of the provenance of the mount that i believe is South African.

DSA also make a mount for the Para FAL, equally as good.

When mounting make sure inside plates are in upper receiver grooves properly and seated flush. Tighten gradually and evenly while looking at this. Seems obvious but I have seen this not done right, resulting in mount not being tight, not keeping 0 and damage to inside plates.
    Last edited by cmcampbell; 03-13-2006 at 09:01 PM.

Have to agree with the others FAL's are hard to beat,in most eviroments, only way to improve them is make it a PARA or CONGO model
    All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.

Samuel Butler

FACIEM TUAM, DOMINC, REQUIRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff
    Is there ammunition out there that will break up in common housing materials?
    If overpenetration is a concern, you'd be better off with a 5.56 or shotgun.
    There are frangible rounds available for the 7.62X51. Because of the adjustable gas exhaust on the FAL, you have an excellent chance of getting non-standard rounds to cycle. Test thoroughly.

You might post over in the Terminal Ballistics section to get specifics on the various frangible rounds.
    Sion ap Rhys

I live near a dealer who gets frequent shipments from DSA, and handlng the Congo Carbine and some other models was one reason I sold my AR15; the FAL is MUCH more ergonomically suited to me. When I will be to afford a DSA is another story, and of course my chief will not "allow" me to use an FAL at work. :(

Okay, someone broght up a good point about sights,

Let me ask this, if you were to mount the DSA rail cover/scope mount, which is a picatinny rail, would it be possible to use a BUIS like the GG&G or a Knight's?

Am I missing something, or could you eliminate the FAL's standard sight altogether? To me, it is the one weakness on the FAL.
    If you want to use a flip up rear sight, then you would need to forgo the front sight as well since the flip up rear sight would sit too high for the std FAL front sight. stay with the original sight, it is good except for the small peep. I have my drilled out to use for 300m battle sight.

DSA makes an AR rear peep converter, it is an attractive package. I stick with my original since it is an original FAL.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinstruemph
    Depending on how this rifle works out, I'm hoping to acquire an FAL sooner rather than later.

SMGLee or any other HK91 shooters, do you recommend for or against a recoil buffer for my clone?

Kevin
    I upgraded my HK91 with the G3SG1 stock, it has teh HK21 buffer inside and it really does tame the recoil a lot. From time to time, I would install a registered full auto trigger pack while I am in Arizona, the full auto dump is actually somewhat controlable with the heavy buffer. a worthy upgrade. you can buy the buffer separately as a part item.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcampbell
    I was not clear earlier.
    I have worked with 10+ DSA scope mounts, only currently produced FAL mount worthwhile that I have seen.
    I am not sure if the DSA is the only worthwhile mount, I am keen to the original ARMS unit. :)

[quote=kevinstruemphThis little item will undoubtedly earn me the punishment of 1,000 harsh looks from Wife v1.0 if she finds out in the near future. :([/quote]

Perhaps it's time to upgrade to Wife v2.0?:D

Quote Originally Posted by SMGLee
    If you want to use a flip up rear sight, then you would need to forgo the front sight as well since the flip up rear sight would sit too high for the std FAL front sight. stay with the original sight, it is good except for the small peep. I have my drilled out to use for 300m battle sight.

DSA makes an AR rear peep converter, it is an attractive package. I stick with my original since it is an original FAL.
    Well I am bastardizing mine by adding a rail system, a VFG and DSA's scope mount.

I guess changing the sight won't hurt either.

I'l take a look at the AR conversion sight from DSA.

Just for giggles, how big a bit did you use to drill out your original peep sight?

Just for giggles, how big a bit did you use to drill out your original peep sight?
    It was done by a local smith, I am not sure.. sorry.