Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Doo View Post
    Two Words: Blackhawk SOF Ruck. You probably aren't man enough for this pack. You are talking "pack or ruck:" that's where I take my info from. It's like talking about camping vs. killing......what would you stake your life on? Stitch count..........counts.
    Isn't that three words?

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Isn't that three words?
    LOL

Or is it two words and an acronym?.........are acronyms technically even words???
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

Quote Originally Posted by SUA SPONTE View Post
    LOL

Or is it two words and an acronym?.........are acronyms technically even words???
    Special Operator Friends

They wear helmets, just not the cool guy kind.

Quote Originally Posted by SUA SPONTE View Post
    LOL

<pedantic>

An acronym is initials pronounced like a word. NASA is an acronym. NSA is not. SOF is not, but SOF-T might be. URL is not, but some people make it one.

An acronym is technically a word because it is "the smallest element that may be uttered in isolation with semantic or pragmatic content". SOF is generally pronounced Ess Oh Eff, which would be three words.

</pedantic>

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOblivion View Post
    <pedantic>

SOF is generally pronounced Ess Oh Eff

</pedantic>

Ummmm......??? Only by those who aren't
    Last edited by SUA SPONTE; 04-28-2016 at 04:24 PM.
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

An update re: the Kelty Redwing 50.

It's been a few years and the bag has gone with me on a lot of adventures, and has been actually filling in the role of a work-bag, getting tossed into and out of vehicles non-stop for a few years, loaded down with lots of steel and aluminium.

Thus far, it has been an incredible value. I would have liked a bit more internal organization, especially in the main pocket, but smart packing and the use of a few MagPul Dakka Pouches (they are actually worth every penny) has things sorted out pretty damn well. Overall, the volume is actually spot on what I needed, plus a bit. As is, I pack it with about 30L worth of kit, and just compress everything else down. It has plenty of room for cold weather / foul weather gear, plus all of my daily mission essentials, plus room to stash anything that I come across / decide that I need METT-TC.

The bag has held up incredibly well, and only has a couple of small holes in it from me treating it poorly. I would love if it were made of 500d cordura, but alas.

If I were to do it again, I might have just gone for the Kelty MAP 3500 by Amron, because it is likely the exact size that I need, with nothing else. But, the side pouches on the Redwing 50L are super handy. One has my IFAK in it, for godsake. Not exactly something I would want to sacrifice.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. For the cost, I think that anyone would be hard pressed to come up with a better alternative. I have a couple of high-dollar bags by now (Arcteryx, Mystery Ranch, ATS, AWS, etc.), and while those are clearly superior in literally every way, their high performance only comes up in specific circumstances. If I wanted to ruck 45lb of kit, I'd go with one of my other bags. As it stands, I carry around 30 lb of kit in my Kelty literally every day, and it hasn't failed me. So, which is better? The gear you actually use every day, or the expensive shit that you pull out when you need it?
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

I'm another Kelty Redwing fan. I've been using them since I discovered them three iterations ago. I've not used the current version but own three of the previous offering which have been my most used packs ever. Perfect weekender in summer and capable overnighter in winter. I use the larger Kelty Coyote (80 liters) more for multiple nights or when more gear is needed.

They hybrid design gives you the advantages of a panel access pack while allowing you haul oversized gear/ Elk quarter / extras if needed. Ideally I try to keep the weight under 40 but I've pushed it well beyond when transporting supplies. It wouldn't be my first choice for those tasks but it has done the job when I needed it to. The top pocket is a big improvement providing even more easy access to frequently used items.

Backpack tent camping does require me to strap some gear on the exterior, most notably my sleeping pad. If I'm warm season tarping/hammocking everything will fit in the pack. When my water sources require filtering I rarely use the hydration bladder as "smart water" and "powerade" bottles work better. For day hikes the bladder works well and the aluminum support stay so you don't feel it against your back. The ventilation is better than average though you'll wish for better in hot weather.

Holster carry can be problematic if your holster rides at the belt line. A holster that rides below the waist belt has worked well for me. Carrying a bolt rifle slung across to the rear muzzle mostly down unless the terrain dictates it being slung across the front muzzle up works for me without hangups.

One of the best buys in gear I've ever made.