Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Ever seen fired brass with doughnut necks from a gas gun?

Was at the range today getting the ACOG zero'd on the Sig xi. Two benches down a guy was shooting an AK. He comes up and shows me a couple of fired factory nickel plated brass each with a pronounced doughnut ~2/3 down the neck.

Since I was there to get zero'd and leave, I didn't let my usual curiosity take over and take pic's, inspect the gun, ask a dozen questions, etc. All I asked was whether the fired brass always looked like that. He said he hadn't noticed before, but the ammo he was shooting that day was producing the doughnuts.

I told him my first concern would be the bolt not completely locking up and having an out-of battery problem and/or headspace problem. I recommended he stop shooting the AK, and take the fired brass & AK to a gunsmith to have a look.

Anyone seen that situation before in a gas gun?
    anonymity is underrated

Unfair. Unbalanced. Unmedicated.

Newton's Third Law is a motherfucker.

I wish you'd have taken pics and gathered some more information.

The Seecamp .32 I had years ago did that. It was part of the delayed blowback design. There was a ring cut into the chamber and the brass flowing into that helped slow the unlocking on such a small pistol. Not sure if this is a possibility here, but thought I'd mention it...
    ...Knowing is often a Barrier to Learning...

Try different ammo.

The cheap nickel plated Russian produced "Colt" branded ammo is crap with inconsistent loads of what must be artillery powder, from my experience. I have gotten decent shooting rounds with fair accuracy then a ball of visible flame a foot wide and two feet long from the next round--in daylight. Happened twice. That ammo is now the first I will sell to my enemies.

I did not notice the donut effect, but I won't let my guns eat donuts anyway.
    Lord of harvest, grant that we wholesome grain and pure may be. Hymn, Come Ye Thankful People Come

Ugh...I've seen this once before somewhere but for the life of me I can't remember where.

Any idea on the AK he was shooting?

From what I cam remember it was on brass cases that I saw.

My guess is that it sounds like you have seen one of the step chambered Saiga conversions. The step chambered barrels leave a blown out ring where the neck joins up with the shoulder. Supposed to be some kind of 'russian microstamping', either that or the excuse to sell off blemished chambered rifles to the gravel pit regiment.

Interesting feedback about the step chambers. Never heard of nor seen the effects of that until possibly now. Based on the doughnuts I saw I bet re-sizing brass would require neck trimming after every shot.
    anonymity is underrated

Unfair. Unbalanced. Unmedicated.

Newton's Third Law is a motherfucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Solar View Post
    My guess is that it sounds like you have seen one of the step chambered Saiga conversions. The step chambered barrels leave a blown out ring where the neck joins up with the shoulder. Supposed to be some kind of 'russian microstamping', either that or the excuse to sell off blemished chambered rifles to the gravel pit regiment.
    Ah Ha!!! That cleared the air after my brain fart. I pretty much forgot about them.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEd63 View Post
    Ah Ha!!! That cleared the air after my brain fart. I pretty much forgot about them.
    From a while back.

Supposed to be some kind of 'russian microstamping', either that or the excuse to sell off blemished chambered rifles to the gravel pit regiment.
    http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...35#post1309535

Heck of a way to 'market' a machining F*up?
    Poor excuse for an 7.62x39 AI** chamber?

*Ackley Improved
    “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell

"Calling Ron Paul an isolationist is like calling your neighbor a 'hermit'
    because he doesn't come over and break your windows.
    "

It does sound like there is something wrong with the chamber. But all of the case, brass or steel, should be so bulged. The AK has such positive ejection I guess it does not matter. What could happen I a piece of the neck comes off in the chamber and causes problems when the next round is chamber. The fix is most likely a new barrel.

I have no idea what the stepped barrel saiga conversion thing is.

The chamber ring thing in light wt blow back firearms is used to slow down the slide.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez