Page 94 of 145 FirstFirst ... 44848990919293949596979899104144 ... LastLast
    Chapter from "Of Englishe Dogges" by Johannes Caius in London, 1576-

Of the mastive or Bandogge called in Latin Villaticus or Cathenarius

This kind of Dogge called a mastive or Bandogge is vast, huge, stubborn, ugly, and eager, of a huge and burthensome body, and therefore but of little swiftness, terrible, and frightful to behold, and more fierce and fell then any Arcadian curre (notwithstanding they are said to have their generation of the violent Lion.) They are called Villatici, because they are appointed to watch and keep farm places and country cottages sequestered from common recourse, and not abutting upon other houses by reason of distance, when there is any fear conceived of thieves, robbers, spoilers, and night wanderers. They are serviceable against the Fox and the Badger, to drive wild and tame swine out of meadows, pastures, glebelands and places planted with fruit, to bait and take the bull by the ear, when occasion so requireth. One dog or two at the uttermost, sufficient for that purpose be the bull never so monstrous, never so fierce, never so furious, never so stern, never so untameable. For it is a kind of dog capable of courage, violent and valiant, striking cold fear into the hearts of men, but standing in fear of no man, in so much that no weapons will make him shrink, nor abridge his boldness. Our Englishmen (to this intent that their dogs might be the more fell and fierce) assist nature with art, use, and custom, for they teach their dogs to bait the Bear, to bait the Bull and other such like cruel and bloody beasts (appointing an overseer of the game) without any collar to defend their throats, and oftentimes they train them up in fighting and wrestling with a man having for the safeguard of his life, either a Pikestaff, a club, or a sword and by using them to such exercises as these, their dogs become more sturdy and strong. The force which is in them surmounts all belief, the fast hold which they take with their teeth exceeds all credit, three of them against a Bear, for against a Lion are sufficient, both to try masteries with them and utterly to overmatch them. Which Henry the seventh of that name, King of England (a Prince both politique & warlike) perceiving on a certain time (as the report runneth) commanded all such dogs (however many there were in number) should be hanged, being deeply displeased, and conceiving great disdain that an ill favored rascal curre should with such violent villany, assault the valiant Lyon, king of all beasts. An example for all subjects worthy remembrance, to admonish them that it is no advantage to them to rebel against the regiment of their ruler, but to keep them within the limits of Loyalty. I read an history answerable to this of the same Henry, who having a notable and an excellent fair Falcon, it fortuned that the king's Falconers, in the presence and hearing of his grace, highly commended his Majesties Falcon, saying that it feared not to intermeddle with an Eagle, it was so venturous a bird and so mighty, which when the King heard, he charged that the Falcon should be killed without delay, for the same reason (as it may seem) which was rehearsed in the conclusion of the former history concerning the same king. This dog is called, in like manner, Cathenarius, a Cathena, of the chain wherewith he is tied at the gates, in the daytime, least being lose he should do much mischief and yet might give occasions of fear and terror by his big barking. And albeit Cicero in his oration had Pro. S. Ross, be of this opinion, that such Dogs as bark in the broad daylight should have their legs broken, yet our countrymen, on this side the seas for their carelessness of life setting all at five and six, are of a contrary judgement. For thieves rogue up and down in every corner, no place is free from them, not even the prince’s palace, nor the countryman’s cottage. In the daytime they practice pilfering, picking, open robbing, and privy stealing, and what cunning lack they do, not fearing the shameful and horrible death of hanging. The cause of which inconvenience does not only issue from nipping needs & wringing want, for all they steal, are not pinched with poverty, but some steal to maintain their excessive and prodigal expenses in apparel, their lewdness of life, their haughtiness of heart, their wantonness of manners, their willful idleness, their ambitious bravery, and the pride of the saucy Salacones' μεγαλορροῦτον vain glorious and arrogant in behaviour, whose delight depends wholly to mount nimbly on horseback, to make them leap lustily, spring and prance, gallop and amble, to run a race, to winde in compass, and so forth, living all together upon the fatness of the spoil. Other some there be which steal, being so provoked by extreme poverty & need, like masterless men applying themselves to no honest trade, but ravaging up and down impudently begging, and complaining of bodily weakness where is no want of ability. But valiant Valentine the emperor, by wholesome laws provided that such as having no corporal sickness, sold themselves to begging, pleaded poverty with pretended infirmity, & cloaked their idle and slothful life with colorable shifts and cloudy coarsening, should be a perpetual slave and drudge to him, by whom their impudent idleness was disclosed, and laid against them in public place, least the insufferable slothfulness of such vagabondes should be burthensome to the people, or being so hateful and odious, should grow into an example. Alfredus likewise in the government of his commonwealth, procured such increase of credit to justice and upright dealing by his prudent acts and statutes, that if a man travailing by the highway of the country under his dominion, chanced to lose a budget full of gold, or his travelling bag stuffed with things of great value, late in the evening, he should find it where he lost it, safe, sound, and untouched the next morning, yea (which is a wonder) at any time for a whole month's space if he sought for it, as Ingulphus Croyladensis in his History recorded. But in this our unhappy age, in these (I say) our devilish days nothing can escape the claws of the spoiler, though it be kept never so sure within the house, albeit the doors are locked and bolted round about. This dog in like manner of Greeks is called οἰκουρος (watch-dog in greek)

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Please, what breed and age is it.
    10 wk old female Great Pyraneese.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by weenis View Post
    Chapter from "Of Englishe Dogges" by Johannes Caius in London, 1576-
    I will post this if you do not mind on the old white english preservation society facebook page for Ray Lane to look at. He is in to quoting passages like this. I recognized some of phases as translated from roman writers that Ray often quotes. His website for his dogs are: https://afmastiffs.weebly.com/ Arkabutla Farm Mastiffs

He quotes stuff like this:
    "The author Marius Terentius Varro, who died in the year 27 B.C., reports in his book on agriculture of two kinds of dogs that were bred in this country. The first were hunting dogs and the second large herding dogs, who effectivly protect sheep and goats. From his description of these herding dogs we quote: The lower jaw is undershot. From it grows two teeth, one on the left, the other on the right, which are only slightly exposed...These dogs have large heads and drooping ears, a strong nape and neck...The tail is thick, the bark sonorous, the jaws large; the color usually is white, so that it can be distinguished from predators at night."
    Fighting Dog Breeds, Dr. Dieter Fleig
    Memphis an Old White English of the Mastiff type and her yearling pup. They are very calm dogs, but protective, and with a good off switch. I am near by working on a new fence on my side of the creek. Pup is tied because he has not figured everything out yet.

DSCF1353.jpg

Veal's Rad Max a Million. He was used as a foundation dog in the development of the Hines bulldog and the Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog.

His owner a well known local stockman in the Hawkenville, Georgia area refused the many offers to buy him. After his owner died, the dog died a few weeks later. It was a Carr White English dog
    Heather: "Have you ever seen this dog in person?
    And if so how was his temperament?
    Was he a worker?"
    "Yes. He was well known around here locally as a stock dog. He was crazy smart. Everyone that saw him wanted him. He was truly a legend in his lifetime around here. "
    Read more at this link: http://oweps.weebly.com/the-last-ame...g-journal.html

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I will post this if you do not mind on the old white english preservation society facebook page for Ray Lane to look at. He is in to quoting passages like this. I recognized some of phases as translated from roman writers that Ray often quotes. His website for his dogs are: https://afmastiffs.weebly.com/ Arkabutla Farm Mastiffs

He quotes stuff like this:
    Memphis an Old White English of the Mastiff type and her yearling pup. They are very calm dogs, but protective, and with a good off switch. I am near by working on a new fence on my side of the creek. Pup is tied because he has not figured everything out yet.

DSCF1353.jpg
    I posted it and got a reply back from Cary.
    Thanks Cm As you probably know the author was the personal physician to Edward VI, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth of England, and founder of a couple of colleges at Cambridge U,author of this book and a dozen more important works, a pioneer Naturalist and Zoologist........ and a huge dog fan
    Cary lives in Arizona and has Mick that is from a line of Texas bulldogs developed by his family more than a 100 years ago.
    Mick chasing what may be a mexican grey wolf or large coyote.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 04-25-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Default Breeding in the bulldog world

Below is a very solid white english bulldog called blue that a lot people want to breed with their females. He is past a 100 lbs.

FB discussion
    JA U plan in breeding this monster into your Bulldogs Heather ?

Mark's dog Blue. I'd wanted to put him to Missy. Losing her was a huge setback. Having to rethink everything.

JA I know how u feel. I've lost some good ones last couple years that I didn't get to use like I should have. U kick yourself in the butt after they are gone.

Heather: Yeah you've had a tough run lately. You sure do kick yourself. But hindsights 2020. Sucks.

MP If I have demand for pups I will put my girl Sugar to Blue. Her next heat should be October so I'll be planning a trip then if demand for pups is there

Heather have you asked around
    MP Not a whole lot. I passed on her heat this time because I would be traveling during her last part of pregnancy. I wouldn't wan to leave her home kenneled while I'm gone

AM I would like to have dog just like ol blue out of the same family

MS thanks for the group photo op. I'm honored and proud of my boy.

JA Taking blue to a female like Kombat 🤔 some tanks would come out

MS Juan, you know Kombat's dam and Boss Hog were siblings, and my Jet was over 60% that litter by those two dogs? My female Hontas is 5/8 Jet., Although Hontas isn't quite as thick as Kombat... but she threw Bug. Picture of Hontas.

MS Juan picture of Bug.

JA Yup jet had that Gene strong. He threw some monsters and was a great stud. My jefe was one of my all time favorites. No reason that Bulldog should have died so young. He's one if those I kick my butt everyday I should have used him more instead of thinking he would last me forever.

A well bred dog does not need training to protect. Mick is in Arizona but from a family line of texas bulldogs.
    Mick is working security this summer at my Dad's place in town Started yesterday. Mick had never been in town in his life but he adapted fast. My Dads been robbed 5 times in a couple of years after his bulldog passed away. On Mick's first day a guy asking for work rode up to my Dad in his driveway fast and Mick backed him up against a wall loud and fast and held him. This guy put his hands up, later said he thought Mick would bite em off if he didn't. I called Mick off,told him to sit and wait and he performed perfectly and was perfectly calm seconds later. 0 to 100 and back to zero old school bulldog instinct style. Mick has done this a few times in the country where he grew up and picked it right up in the city. He's needed no protection training other than basic obedience. I'm very proud of this boy.

My girl Sky.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The original text:
    “Germany. Two young women in swimsuits with a great Dane. Frauen mit Dogge”
    SZ Photo