Page 69 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1959646566676869707172737479119 ... LastLast

Default Negative apects of huge dogs

Discussion of how things were historically on southern farms. In this Georgia.
    " Like you said, such size has its own issues...Cardiac, endurance, joint damage to include torn ACL, arthritis, other connective tissue and or muscle damage, and overall lifespan, not to mention what it takes to feed such bohemoths. None of which the rural farmer wants to deal with, especially feeding them."

" Historically, and even today, the rural farmer is struggling to feed themselves and will not keep an animal that requires more food than them."

"Yeah I imagine that's a serious feed bill"

" That alone would keep most farmers from having them. My great grandfather always kept 3 WE. They were 70-80lbs. He kept sacks of Purina dog chow in the barn and dumped 2-3 small coffee cans full in the dirt. They kept the yard clean of chix poop by picking it up. They also ate poop from the other stock. They were fed entrials from fish, rabbits and any fowl or stock butchered. They were also given scraps. Any and all scraps. They were wormed with spent tobacco plugs, dipped in barrels of stock dip and slept outdoors year round. They were stomped and kicked by every animal on the farm more than once, attacked by big fowl, including peacocks and hawks, and fought foxes, coyotes, bobcat, feral dogs and anything else that proved a threat. They were tough! That kind of toughness is lost to so many breeds today. Breeding for anything other than function, real life everyday function, including breeding for trainability, is the surest way of permanently altering a breed. Once a breed has lost its historic function, the breed itself is lost. "
    I would take issue on one point of the above. The size of the dogs required is dependent on what there task is. The extinct southern red wolf was a smaller wolf in size. Most wild dogs will not be over 80 lbs and so a small pack of 70-80 lbs dogs is enough. Russia and parts of near by asia huge dogs are needed to deal with northern wolves which are big. So 70 lbs would not be enough to deal with such wolves.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Old White English Preservation Society
    "December 29, 2015
    "Working dogs that wore spiked collars, had their ears cropped, fought wolves, gave birth to their pups in a hole in the ground and slept out of doors in the snow and chill wind deserved a better fate than becoming victim to misguided modern breed enthusiasts and their fads. IN PRESERVING THOSE BREEDS THAT HAVE SURVIVED WE MUST REMEMBER THE ESSENTIAL CRITERIA THAT LED TO THESE FLOCK GUARDING DOGS developing as such magnificent examples of the canine race: robustness, a functional physique, and size commensurate with soundness." Hancock.
    "Working dogs that wore spiked collars, had their ears cropped, fought wolves, gave birth to their pups in a hole in the ground and slept out of doors in the snow and chill wind ..." Sounds like a farm bulldog to me, you know, a WE. "Dogs were used and worked in the true sense of the word and any weakness appeared very quickly as a result of the rigorous life expected of dogs in those days. The breeders of this time had a natural instinct for their stock and new a good dog by feel and observation. They did not need a pedigree to tell them which was a good specimen; they knew every dog and it's offspring for miles around.." The Bullmastiff Manual Bill Walkey.
    The question is, what has changed in the past 200 years that mastiffs are now considered a short-lived breed? Farmers who still use the mastiff breed known as OWE, treat or care for them much the same way it was done 200 years ago. This is what preservation is all about. In our modern world, we tend to over medicate, feed expensive feed and generally pamper, using various soaps, dips and creams. We become alarmed at minor skin irritations, such as localized demodex, various cuts, scraps and abrasions for which rustic working dogs have always had. These are not show dogs, they are rustic working farm dogs where maintenance and training have long been kept at a bare minimum due to the long working hours of the farmer.
    This rustic life has always culled out the weaker dogs, leaving only the strongest to perpetuate the breed. It is not unusual to hear of these OWE living beyond 20 years, with females often having pups into their teens. This is not a method our members practice, though it was and still is a common practice of rural southern farmers.
    Whelping is a natural process that has taken place long before man's intervention. Rural southern farmers utilizing the OWE, have long left this process to the female unassisted and in a completely natural state. This is simply natural selection at work, where only the strong survive to further perpetuate the line. Following the process of natural selection, loss of pups is a natural culling process. This is a process that has worked with superior results since time began and a process that has been allowed to take place within the OWE since their beginning. Part of our preservation efforts include preserving traditional methods and practices."
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Met "Rosie" today pulling Security. Very cool American Bulldog. Owner was impressed I knew what she was. I was like, "Yeah well I know a guy on WT".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

old School English bull terrier and what they once were:

Note the head of the modern english bull terrier.

Yes, the EBT had a short head (cranium) type, not a long head (cranium) type, as seen in APBT.

The old school EBT looks like a white Lab with a squint. I'm guessing the muzzle was a lot wider and the jaws stronger.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

244. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    The old school EBT looks like a white Lab with a squint. I'm guessing the muzzle was a lot wider and the jaws stronger.
    One does on occasion see EBT, but I never knew much about them. Their head shape came up in a discussion when someone compared the EBT to this dog.

Profile shot of a young CAO (Central Asian Ovcharka ) .

The CAO Above shows what I think is the primitive type that gave rise to the classic mastiff type head. In more modern mastiffs they retain a massive heavy skull, the jaw becomes a little reduced to increase leverage. Below is a picture of a white english female of the mastiff type. Bulldogs tend to reduce the muzzle even more for a stronger grip.
    DSCF0849 (2).jpg
    Last edited by barnetmill; 09-11-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Georgia after Irma passed:
    The pups want to know if it's safe to come out now. Irma did a number on our yard. Now the clean up begins.
    Cletus far left, Helga top middle, and Cooper on right.

Out with our warrior princess today. She's a red heeler/cattle dog mix, strong jaws, pointy snout, one ear up and one bent like a Mogwai. She's a rescue, at least 12 years old, and she's dying. Once our pack ran and walked our roads and trails together, she always in heel, always near her alpha. Now she lags, stops and looks as though trying to fix in her memory where and when she was young and strong and fearless, when her oldest and best friend still ran beside her. Now her legs shake, and she lowers her head to walk, and her breathing comes loud and harsh.
    Not ready to let her go yet. Feel guilty for letting the younger dogs take so much time and energy. And I'm struck again by how short life, especially a dog's life, is. How worthless so many people seem when compared to a courageous and loving dog. And how blessed we are by God to be allowed to share their lives for a fleeting moment.
    Can't, won't show a photo of her and won't write her name. By the grace of God, she'll stay a little longer. If not, He'll have one more loyal companion as He walks the fields of Heaven.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

244. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Out with our warrior princess today. She's a red heeler/cattle dog mix, strong jaws, pointy snout, one ear up and one bent like a Mogwai. She's a rescue, at least 12 years old, and she's dying. Once our pack ran and walked our roads and trails together, she always in heel, always near her alpha. Now she lags, stops and looks as though trying to fix in her memory where and when she was young and strong and fearless, when her oldest and best friend still ran beside her. Now her legs shake, and she lowers her head to walk, and her breathing comes loud and harsh.
    Not ready to let her go yet. Feel guilty for letting the younger dogs take so much time and energy. And I'm struck again by how short life, especially a dog's life, is. How worthless so many people seem when compared to a courageous and loving dog. And how blessed we are by God to be allowed to share their lives for a fleeting moment.
    Can't, won't show a photo of her and won't write her name. By the grace of God, she'll stay a little longer. If not, He'll have one more loyal companion as He walks the fields of Heaven.
    That's utterly beautiful, brother. Anyone who says they haven't felt that pain is a liar, and not a good one.

Sent from my Y538 using Tapatalk
    "they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb