Page 23 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373123 ... LastLast
    It's been a while: We just took in Gabe our new foster. He's a 2.5 year old male pure bred GSD (has papers). He has basic obedience training, is high energy, very playful and affectionate. Super dog.
    He'll be ready for adoption by next week if anybody is interested in him. He's located in DFW Texas.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Pick their bones clean. Leave nothing behind.

Things that canít go on forever, wonít. Debts that canít be paid, wonít be. Promises that canít be kept, wonít be.

Not warrior dogs, but still a good picture
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

southern warrior gal and her white english bulldog. Painting from a facebook we page.
    Not everyone is a mindless politically correct weakling.
    heather: Oh look. Me!
    Adrianne: Hell yeah!
    Heather: You! Fo sho
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Great Pyrenees?? (Sp?)
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Great Pyrenees?? (Sp?)
    Most unlikely it is a Great Pyrenees. There are series of dogs from the mountains in the Urals, turkey, central asia, etc that look similar that are very large guard dogs for livestock and the homestead. They are certainly related to the Great Pyrenees, but are much heavier dogs and are often given spiked collars. Those regions today have large wolves, snow leopards (central asia), and bears. At one time those regions of Asia had tigers and lions. Those are now gone. The dog group I belong believe that all of the mastiff types breeds of dogs likely have their origins in that general area of Asia. Many large mastiff breeds have been derived from these dogs over the millennia. The Pyrenees were likely descended from dogs brought by Alani tribes at the time huge numbers of people started entering the Roman empire in large numbers, especially about the 5th century AD. In fact there were mastiff like shepherd dogs in France alaunts and in spain called Alanos named after one of the tribes of these people. Even german shepherds are related to such dogs. The are white german shepherds that are said to behave differently than the dark ones. The sheep guarding dogs tend to be white. Herding dogs usually are not pure white.
    Central asian shepherd dog

This is a good facebook page (Alaunt and Alano Information). You want to read discussions that have Ray Lane or Heather Wilkins in them. Gary that moderates that page is quite liberal about what people post there so there will be some nonsense from some foreign posts. There was a woman in Poland that was raising and hunting Catahoulas which is fine except she was calling them Alaunts when the proper term for them is a Cur dog. Likely have some alaunt in them for sure. Another group in England had grey bull lurchers (Greyhound x pitbull) being called alaunts. They let it go. But that is a place to start and there is another webpage that explains this from the perspective of the american south for our bulldogs.
    http://oweps.weebly.com/ This site is strongly oriented to Georgia dogs, but does discuss others such as the feared extinct Cuban Bloodhound. Just like the training methods of Gabe are controversial, their take on bulldogs has given them enemies. They refuse to put their dogs in dog shows saying this ruins dog breeds and do not charge a whole lot for what they produce while some people do charge a lot more. Heather the leader of group has been giving her dogs away to chosen people or charges very little and has no breeding planned at all for a while. The two dogs in my avatar are mostly based on Georgia stock and shows my two as pups.
    What dog shows do to bull breeds.

Last edited by barnetmill; 08-21-2016 at 04:43 AM.

Barnetmill, I'm just a "dog lover", not nearly as knowledgeable as you. I just knew it was a big white dog; looks as though he's seen his share of action. I follow this thread with great interest, especially the white bulls.
    Thanks for educating me, or trying to!!!
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.

Dog saves toddler from copper head. Dog does get bitten.

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/193353273-story

Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Barnetmill, I'm just a "dog lover", not nearly as knowledgeable as you. I just knew it was a big white dog; looks as though he's seen his share of action. I follow this thread with great interest, especially the white bulls.
    Thanks for educating me, or trying to!!!
    What I have is knowledge derived from reading. There are dogmen that are semi-literate that have a lot of practical knowledge learned from life; they also have a way with dogs which is part innate and part from long experience. I do not have a good way with dogs so I have chosen a breed that are most submissive to the master, but are still capable of fighting to the death if needed. By the way some of the more recently bred types of white bully dogs are not always that way. People do not cull bad dogs like they use to. Any of my animals that challenge me as alpha or growl at a child or puppy die asap.

Default Wolves pulling a wagon!?!

I find this one very hard to believe. If you look closely there is a dog riding in the wagon with the humans.

"Thanks to Lee Fox for this really unusual look back in time. This is Butternut, Wisconsin 1890ish. This family had found a litter of homeless wolf pups and brought them home and raised them.
    Everyone had their chores and it looks like the family wolf pack is filling in as the team of horses they didn't have.
    This was strange even for Butternut as it caused someone to take this rare picture of Butternut's main street."