Page 140 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4090130135136137138139140141142143144145 LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1442
    Quote Originally Posted by 116Echo View Post
    Attachment 61384Our new Rottweiler pup, Gabby. Can hear my wife’s Jeep leaving the hard road a mile away…
    I miss the days when we used them as K9s. On the civilian side I always found them affectionate and playful, and have fond memories of one actually leaning on me during a long scary walk in the dark.

But I never pissed one off.
    Last edited by Papa; 04-29-2021 at 06:43 AM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by M1A's r Best View Post
    Just got another one. Appears to be half Great Pyrenees and half German Shepherd. Size and color (vet says he's about 12 months old) are right for that.

Very easy going (except with one of my other dogs) and still a bit spooky around other people.

He gets along well with our old dog, our 3 year old Great Pyrenees and us. He's not happy when our other dog comes around me.

Other than that he is the best behaved/calmest dog I've ever had. He has no issues sitting down between my feet and just sitting there. If I pet him that's great. If I don't he just seems to need the contact with my feet/legs and he's content to just sit there and watch what goes on around him.

Vet says he weighed in at 79 lbs. If he's really 12 months old he should add a few more pounds in the next couple of years.

Got him from the same person we got the Great Pyrenees from. I think some people get a puppy because they are cute, but when they get big they're not cute anymore and they no longer want them.

We call him Bear (which was his name from his original owner - but it fits him.)

Piled up on the floor on my mom's porch the afternoon we got him.

I dunno. Looks cute to me.

We love big mutts and we cannot lie.

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

Vale et omnia quae.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I miss the days when we used them as K9s. On the civilian side I always found them affectionate and playful, and have fond memories of one actually leaning on me during a long scary walk in the dark.

But I never pissed one off.
    We lost one to throat cancer last Feb. at age 11. She was great with the kids and grandkids, my wife's shadow for 11 years. She felt better when I was gone with 115 pounds of Rottweiler patrolling the house. Truth be told, I did too. So now we are raising another one. City of Pittsburgh used to use Rotts as K9s as well. Stopped in the early 80s, all GSD/Belgian now. One of the city K9 guys told me the Rotts "bit too hard".

Buddy had various dogs in a rural setting over the years. He said his Dobies would catch turtles and you could hear their teeth click on the shells. When the Rotties caught one you'd hear one crunch.
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.

My biggest black dog always makes a circle or two around my 2 acres or so before I put him back in the pen. Sometimes he comes back with a turtle in his mouth. Proud as hell. Head up, tail wagging, trots up to me and drops the turtle for me to see/pick up. Then he's ready to go back in the pen with the rest of his buddies.

A couple years ago we had a groundhog or two living in holes they'd dug out from under some of the sheds behind the house. One day he came back from his rounds with a freshly killed (well, almost killed, I finished it off) groundhog in his mouth. Have you ever seen the look on a dog's face when he feels like his successfully done his job of keep you safe? You won't forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by M1A's r Best View Post
    My biggest black dog always makes a circle or two around my 2 acres or so before I put him back in the pen. Sometimes he comes back with a turtle in his mouth. Proud as hell. Head up, tail wagging, trots up to me and drops the turtle for me to see/pick up. Then he's ready to go back in the pen with the rest of his buddies.

................t.
    Mine will not mess with turtles or snakes, but have no problem with lizards. Saves on vet bills or worse dead dogs since there is always a pit viper around the place.

I have a new addition to the pack. Judah, I'm not sure on the mix. His mom may be a catahoula mix...I've seen the pic. The dad is probably a pit. He is almost 4 months old....solid little dude....I think he will fit in fine. Update: My Catahoula/Akita mix turned 1 year old and my new pup is almost 6 months. He is close to 40lbs now. They make a great team.
    Last edited by Soren; 08-08-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    Crush your enemies...

Looks like he's getting a little schooling there.

Vale et omnia quae.

We had been planning on getting a German Shepard next year from this breeder we had meet with several times. When you interview her she interviews you and has no problem saying my dogs are not for you. I was bringing my son to meet the breeder and her retired breeding dogs Friday. Afterward she showed us a pup that just meshed with us. The people that he was supposed to go home with had to back out the night before because of a family emergency. She asked us if we were interested. The wife and I had a discussion and after her meeting the pup Sunday we took him home.

His name is Leopold, but we call him Leo. He is 12 weeks. He is a good boy. I have not had any puppy teeth except when sweeping the mouth for a rock. The nights up until the last two have been challenging as he didn't like to be separated while in the create. Last night was the first true slept through the night.

PXL_20210711_201839299.jpgAttachment 61766PXL_20210712_003748023.jpgPXL_20210713_021107352.jpg
    Common sense is not a common virtue!