Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575808182838485
    Quote Originally Posted by Texican_gal View Post
    Post #836 and #838 look at those front legs! Heavy bone in these historic dogs. I've seen another old pic so heavy-boned that it looked like a "wished for" dog. That would be the mastiff blood I reckon.

A pit bull terrier has legs with muscle but the bone is not as heavy, even when you see a head where you might not be sure if it's a straight bulldog or a "bull terrier" bulldog.
    I think 836 could be a young dog that has not filled in. He could have matured to be a big dog dug to the heavy skeleton.

I think 838 is a pit or pit x bulldog. The evident musculature and thin skin I see in many fotos of modern pits. The few photos I have seen of brindle bulldogs do not have such defined musculature. That photo also could be modern and and not really old. The photo is quite sharp.

Below is a modern photo from the UK of what is most likely APBT cross with a greyhound. These people are calling these crosses aluants and when really they are modern bull lurchers. They are being used for hunting things like european rabbits over there. Such crosses have a lot of visibly defined musculature.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I looked at the photo more closely. That rabbit looks very large for a cotton tail and the clothing does not really look american. That does not look like jackrabbit country and in the past most boys in the US would hunt with .22 loaded with shorts or maybe a .410. His hunting dog is being held on a lease. Picture is likely one that was posed and not so old. My guess is England that has the european hare that is a large brown rabbit. Looked at the open pants cuffs which would likely trip the kid if he was hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill;1895746
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

The legend looks wrong. Looks more like florida or similar in the southeast. Bloodhounds in those days were running mastiff crossbreds that were used to hunt men. First the indians and then later on for slave control. Also used in confederate prisons to deal with escapes.

No legend given