Page 85 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3575808182838485868788899095 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Texican_gal View Post
    Post #836 and #838 – look at those front legs! Heavy bone in these historic dogs. I've seen another old pic so heavy-boned that it looked like a "wished for" dog. That would be the mastiff blood I reckon.

A pit bull terrier has legs with muscle but the bone is not as heavy, even when you see a head where you might not be sure if it's a straight bulldog or a "bull terrier" bulldog.
    I think 836 could be a young dog that has not filled in. He could have matured to be a big dog dug to the heavy skeleton.

I think 838 is a pit or pit x bulldog. The evident musculature and thin skin I see in many fotos of modern pits. The few photos I have seen of brindle bulldogs do not have such defined musculature. That photo also could be modern and and not really old. The photo is quite sharp.

Below is a modern photo from the UK of what is most likely APBT cross with a greyhound. These people are calling these crosses aluants and when really they are modern bull lurchers. They are being used for hunting things like european rabbits over there. Such crosses have a lot of visibly defined musculature.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I looked at the photo more closely. That rabbit looks very large for a cotton tail and the clothing does not really look american. That does not look like jackrabbit country and in the past most boys in the US would hunt with .22 loaded with shorts or maybe a .410. His hunting dog is being held on a lease. Picture is likely one that was posed and not so old. My guess is England that has the european hare that is a large brown rabbit. Looked at the open pants cuffs which would likely trip the kid if he was hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill;1895746
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

The legend looks wrong. Looks more like florida or similar in the southeast. Bloodhounds in those days were running mastiff crossbreds that were used to hunt men. First the indians and then later on for slave control. Also used in confederate prisons to deal with escapes.

No legend given

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    The legend looks wrong. Looks more like florida or similar in the southeast. Bloodhounds in those days were running mastiff crossbreds that were used to hunt men. First the indians and then later on for slave control. Also used in confederate prisons to deal with escapes.

Spanish Moss goes all thru the South to East Texas too, before it turns into Central & West Texas. Could easily be in TX.

And remember, people used to say Chicago was "out West." And a lot of East Coasters still say it!

Quote Originally Posted by Texican_gal View Post
    Spanish Moss goes all thru the South to East Texas too, before it turns into Central & West Texas. Could easily be in TX.

And remember, people used to say Chicago was "out West." And a lot of East Coasters still say it!
    Yes it could be south east Texas that is not so different from Louisiana that is just across the Sabine River.

Discussion of what traditional family bulldogs were like in southern Georgia

Josh W.
    It amazes me today how the WE (White English) is still so different from the WE of yesterday. People breeding looks instead of temperament. I remember back in the 70’s there was still a distinct type called WE. They were small like some of the historical photos we see. Always curled up in a hole by the back door. A hole they dug in the dirt for a bed. Small in weight say about 65 lbs tops. Unseemly and unimpressive. Most with poor limbs and feet from backyard breeding. Very quiet without threat displays. They werent considered to have any worth except to the family it protected. Most rural black families had brindles (Brindle Bulldogs) on chains and the rural white families had White English. I never understood why that was, unless it was because brindles were notoriously aggressive and the blacks may have wanted that edge since there were often confrontations taking place in the yard and the law was often biased back then. People feared brindles more than white english. White English weren’t chained. If the owner was present you could enter the property of a white english. If the owner wasnt present you didnt dare enter. People still honk the horn when they pull up to a house in the south and dont get out until the owner comes out. That is due to the white english influence from decades before.
    I still like those old type. The pups were always super submissive and nervy sometimes until they started maturing around a year old. Today thats considered shyness and seen as a flaw because people want to compare them to the temps of other breeds. They were unimpressive until a threat appeared but had the temp that made white english. Alot of what breeders have today are what we use to call just a bulldog. They are bigger, catch dogs, impressive, prey driven, dog aggressive, food driven, food protective, and watchdogs. All that is considered a flaw with WE. White english were a distinct type with really none of that going on.
    White English always would leave the food and follow the owner. I wonder how many still do that? The pup i got from carl wont even eat if im present. I love that. She has the temp of the old type. I like the old kind but really today i dont see how they can continue. Alot of what makes a white english, is considered flaws in todays dog world. If someone breeding bulldogs got an old type WE in a litter it would probably be considered a cull on the submission and aloofness. Its often considered shyness or nervy. But ive never seen a real WE that wasnt super submissive and still retain the old temp.
    Me and Bear 1975

Bear came from north fl. There was suppose to be a family line very similar to the carr in north fl too. Bear and chopper were very similar indeed
    Heather HW
    My daddy's dog Spike curled up by the back door. Buddy Roes sire. 100% Carr. Fought off and killed three dogs at once. About 55 lbs. Of unimpressive yard dog turned bada$$ when required. Old school!!!

Love the description of Spike's exploits--perfect dog!! The young 'un with that vicious white beast is just adorable.
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Love the description of Spike's exploits--perfect dog!! The young 'un with that vicious white beast is just adorable.
    The other side of the coin, the Brindle Builldog

I have so many complain about and ask why such a big chain on him. Lol. He was chained behind a 6 foot fence too. He was not a dog you risked getting loose!

Hodge’s Bo was a Brindle Bulldog often called a leopard dog due to the brindle stripes, belonging to my wifes uncle in Brooks County GA. I knew this dog briefly when me and my wife first started dating. Bo was calm and quiet and reminded me alot of the White English temperament of yesterday. He was super protective of her uncle and family. He was killed in action in 1993 when Bo dove in harms way to grab a rattlesnake before it could bite their 2 year old daughter. I always remember Bo laying near the door of the house quietly on guard duty. I was given this photo 8 years ago by the family when i was trying to document some history on Bo and other Brindle Bulldogs in my area.