Page 87 of 96 FirstFirst ... 37778283848586878889909192 ... LastLast
    Indian Native breed|Rajapalayam Dog | Nattu Nai| jumps 6ft fence easily

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Rustic Spanish Alanos and what dogs were once like prior to modern breeding.

Pablo Antonio Táboas PereiraHistory of dogs in photos

February 2 ·

1924 Spanish Alan in guriezo (Cantabria), contribution by David Iturralde. Thank you Jordi del Castell

...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Pablo Antonio Táboas PereiraHistory of dogs in photos

January 8 ·

1918 SPANISH ALANO IN CANTABRIA

You can't help but notice how much trimmer and lighter dogs were back then. They look more athletic and capable like that. Americans in particular seem like we are adept at ruining breeds, and supersizing them seems to be the most common offense. Most of the really puffed up bodybuilders I have known were worthless for tasks like helping someone move as they want to rest and eat the whole time. There is truly a sweet spot of size, athleticism, and endurance that most US working dog breeders seem incapable of adhering to. What do you think Barnett??

Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    You can't help but notice how much trimmer and lighter dogs were back then. They look more athletic and capable like that. Americans in particular seem like we are adept at ruining breeds, and supersizing them seems to be the most common offense. Most of the really puffed up bodybuilders I have known were worthless for tasks like helping someone move as they want to rest and eat the whole time. There is truly a sweet spot of size, athleticism, and endurance that most US working dog breeders seem incapable of adhering to. What do you think Barnett??
    Such reflective questions are best answered for breeders with years of experience with working dogs which does not include me. I have spent a bit of time reading what much smarter people have told me or written. I basically agree with you. It is when the working breeds become pets that many of the changes you are mentioning occur. This is especially true of bird dogs where many breeds have two separate branches where one is based on field trials and the other by dog shows. People do like bigger dogs for sure.
    Americans are not the only ones that have ruined breeds, but it appears we have become quite adept at it these days.

A few new additions to my neighborhood.

This is Diesel, he belongs to my new neighbors behind me. They adopted him when his previous family had to downsize in to an apartment. He doesn’t spend too much time outdoors right now with the cold weather, but when he’s out he likes to come over for a visit. He’s a goof ball and loves all the open space when he’s out, it’s a crack up watching him run laps around our houses.
    162171CD-7D40-4B06-BBD7-A57218CD5342.jpg
    670B2DD6-BD90-45BE-9456-5CE4FE62A5B0.jpg

And some other new neighbors from the street behind me have these two. Mieska and Copper. Both were very nice.
    D7AEF93D-B74F-428D-A90C-F02658781B96.jpg
    Last edited by steve_k; 02-10-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017

Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    you know, the White English you describe sounds like a great allrounder. The Brindle described above sounds like a junk yard dog and a freaking liability
    Here is brindle bulldog somewhere in Georgia with a little boy. It takes less to set off an attack by a brindle than the white english dogs. But they are loyal to their family.

Nobody, as in NOBODY, is gonna touch that kid!!!

My rescue GSD or mix was new to the house when grandkids visited. We were leary and watchful. No worries, as if Shadow said, "they're fine, they're babies". Dogs are amazing in so many ways.
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.

Default Guard Donkeys? Ranchers

Instead of dogs get a donkey.

https://howlingforjustice.wordpress....ver-livestock/

More and more ranchers, in the US and around the world, are using guard donkeys to protect their livestock from predators.

There is no love lost between the Equidae and Canidae families. Donkeys, especially jennies, are very protective of animals they graze with and will run at, chase,stomp, kick and even kill any canine they encounter. They are also used to guard cattle from jaguars in Belize.

If ranchers are looking to protect their livestock from minimal predation, they might want to shell out $300 and purchase a donkey. This could be the answer to their problem. Now wouldn’t that be a kick in the ass?

The Tatar shepherds with their dogs, north Caucasus, circa 1910.