Page 73 of 81 FirstFirst ... 23636869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    Thoughts on this?
    Attachment 53736
    If they donít know the difference between ensure and unsure I have little confidence in their knowledge of Roman history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

TRAIN WITH PAYNE 2018

​CRG-1 Orange TX January 20-21, 2018

CRG-2 Orange TX March 10-11, 2018

Shotgun Gunfighting San Antonio TX April 14-15, 2018

GS-1 (modified) Kirbyville TX May 19-20, 2018

20171007_182327.jpg

And why don't I have a treat?
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    If they don’t know the difference between ensure and unsure I have little confidence in their knowledge of Roman history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Solid point. Which is why I brought it to the only guy I know who might actually know.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    Thoughts on this?
    Attachment 53736
    I can ask elsewhere to see if someone knows the quote. I have doubts about it, but the Romans did a lot of interesting things.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I posted a question about it on the "Old White English Preservation Society" to see if any one there cares to respond to it. Many breeders of mastiffs, bulldogs, and in fact for many other breeds write false histories about the dogs that they breed. There are a couple of people there that have read everybook in english that they can find on dog history. Much of what I post comes from that FB page. If I get a decent answer I will post it here.

Here is an example of a recent posting I got from there. The name ' Volkodov ' was used in connection with a military dog that the Russians used.
    CAO, Caucasian Shepherd - it's all Volkodav. from the phrase - crush the wolf
    Volk in russian is the equivalent of wolf in english. The last part of the word 'Volkodav' means to crush wolves according to Евгений Колпакиди. Means all of these dogs were originally meant to kill wolves.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Study of a Bulldog by Edwin Henry Landseer 1800s
    Very fierce looking bulldog with amber eyes

Many bulldogs have perked over ears

Eye-patch dog in front is a bulldog type, her all white cousin is not.

Proper mastiff body type

Some say that the English bulldog ancestry was developed first in Germany
    Here we see the early development of the English Bulldog as a separate breed from the English Mastiff, yet the origins of the English Bulldog are in fact German. Ironically it is in this same year, 1406, that we find the first translation and copy of Gaston Phoebus' work by the English Duke of York in The Master of the Game. "By the 15th century, a distinctive bull-baiting breed had been developed. Perhaps through crosses of Alaunts, mastiffs, and other unknown brachycephalic, (short skull), dogs, the first bulldog (often called Bullen Beisser, German for bull baiter), was created." Atlas of Dog Breeds.
    Post from fb Old White English Preservation Society

The Beisser/Bulldog type is defined as the true holding and pinning dogs first developed in Germany for the use of sporting noblemen on the hunt and later in Western Europe for the blood sport of bull-baiting. Their use as a hunting dog by sporting nobleman classifies the Beissers as a sporting and hunting dog. The bulldog, by definition, has always been a sporting dog used by sportsmen in the blood sports of the baiting ring. The Beisser type was first recorded in history in Germany in the 5th Century AD. "In Germanic law from the fifth and seventh centuries AD, these Hunting Dogs were recorded in writing for the first time." Dr. Dieter Fleig. The bulldog did not exist, (by name or the sport it was used for), until after the Elizabethan era. It was first recorded by name in 1609 in England. "The term Mastiff until after the age of Elizabeth was used for both mastiff and bulldog, being applied merely to denote a house or watch dog. ... The bulldog became defined by the sport it was used for..." Wynn 1888. http://oweps.weebly.com/owe-mastiff-or-bulldog.html

Another piece by Landseer 1800s depicting bulldog types working and a tri colored one amongst the group. This is one of a few findings from 1800-1900 depictioning back and tan/tri colored bulldog types. posted by Dominique N