SI 2014 Training
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gomez
    Not a manual, but I'e done a few PRE photo sets regarding running the AK.

The PRE PS index can be viewed Here

Take a look at PRE PS2, PS3 and PS6.
    Thank you Mr. Gomez. Those look great. :)

Cool.

I was just concerned about the length of the 30 rd AK mags vs AR mags. Some pouches that work fine with AR mags are just too short for 30 rd AK mags.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    Master Class IDPA Stock Service Pistol

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Default Another Article (older) On AK Use

AK-47 OPERATOR - THE SAFETY

I taught a Rifle course in Texas a few years ago and all attendees except for four men were using one or another version of the AR-15. Of the non-AR students we had two lawyers with Kalashnikovs. And they did fairly well with them, giving nothing up to the more refined and expensive AR-15/M4 rifles. Often after a firing drill, one of them would jokingly point out that when 10 million ignorant peasants prefer the AK, they can't be wrong. indeed!

The AK series of rifles is a very interesting animal. It is compared to the AR/M4 series rifles as a battle axe is compared to a rapier. In my ever-so-humble opinion, the Kalashnikov rifle can sustain more abuse and more damage (while remaining operational) than the AR-15. Its manual of arms can be made very simple. And with the availability of high quality ammunition, it can give any M4 a run for its money.

Most recently we see the AK in the hands of american "contractors" in the middle east. In the last few years I, and many of my colleagues, have been asked about developing a manual of arms and a teaching package for the AK series. Our friend Paul Gomez of OPS has done quite a bit of work in that respect and we expect a book on the subject from him very soon.

One of the immediate things noted by an AR-trained operator using the AK for the first time is simply that it does not work like an AR. The charging handle, magazine release, and perhaps most importantly, the safety are all in different places than on the AR. A mistake, and in my opinion it is definitely a mistake, often made by trainers is attempting to force AR-15 manual of arms onto the AK platform. Some guys go as far as to customize the AK to conform to AR-15 manipulation norms. Perhaps, rather than dragging the horse into a field he does not belong, we would be better served by looking at this weapon with a fresh eye and learning to use it in its as-issued state.

I spent a few weeks with the weapon and noted some things that seemed obvious to me. I have many contacts around the world and solicited their help in one particular point - the manipulation of the safety. I spoke (over the internet) with former military personnel from Finland and the Russian countries with regards to the safety. This is what they told me:

The weapon is carried to the fight, or administratively, with the safety ON. As soon as a contact is made, or an ambush is set, the safety is disengaged to OFF. The weapon remains with the safety OFF until business is concluded, relying on trigger finger discipline. Once the fight is over, the safety is re-engaged to ON.

It is interesting to note that the first step in disengaging the safety puts it at full auto on a true AK, but that is food for another article. Immediately missing, we see is the American notion of muzzle up-safety off, muzzle down-safety on. This is easily done with a 1911 or an AR-15, but a moot point with a Glock and difficult at best with an AK.

The arguement against this method is that teammates will shoot themselves and their partners. Well, I suppose that can be a problem, but do we then eschew the Glock and label it "unsafe" because of its inability to be "safed"? Hardly. I asked my contacts about unintentional shots as a result of weapons handled in this manner. They said they were not aware of any such incidences. Hmmmm.

Many of my contacts working with AKs in Irq and other places tell me that is the way they handle their AKs.

While this is not intended as an arguement about the use of a safety lever, the issue will come up in this discussion. One school says to always use the safety and that any weapon that cannot be operated as an AR-15/1911 is unsatisfactory. Well, I differ on that point. Another arguement is that special operations people must use a manual safety lest they commit fratricide and shoot a teammate. I differ on that point as well. I can point out to my own SWAT days, and to the training we received from the most experienced entry team in the country (LASD-SEB). Their, and subsequently our, SOP with regards to the safety levers on the MP5 was to move the safety/selector lever to full auto "in the stack" and remain on full auto until the event concluded. None of our guys ever shot anyone but the bad guy. My Finnish and Russian contacts reported the same thing. Double - Hmmmm.

While a spec-ops guy might be tempted to say that mere cop work pales in comparison to spec-ops work, I would submit that going through a door to get in a gunfight with armed men is the same in Los Angeles, Medellin, Brussels, or Baghdad, and rather than denigrate what brave men do when the time comes, we should look at the problem with an honest eye. I would humbly submit that these incidents of good guy shooting good guy may be as a result of excessively risky tactics, separating elements, and things other than mere the safety manipulation issue. If an event of good guys shooting good guys occurred, that Off Safe rifle merely contributed to a tactical situation that had gone wrong from the start. The arguement will remain, and one will have to do what he feels best with, but those are my two cents on the issue.

Try this on the range with your AK. At Ready leave your thumb around the pistol grip, but extend the fingers toward the safety lever shelf. As you raise the rifle, lower the fingers. This should get the safety lever clear and the weapon ready to fire. Once the event is concluded, reverse the procedure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gabe Suarez; 03-09-2006 at 07:37 AM.

Default Reload Via Rifle Bug Out Bag

Gents,

Here is an AVI file of an AK reload using the Rifle Bug Out Bag. Its a little dark, but it shows the context.

http://www.suarezinternational.com/AKReload.AVI

Thanks for that vid, Gabe. You're right in that it's not as fast as a war rig, but it also looks more appropriate for the civilian world. I'm definitely curious'er, now.
    When reason fails.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez
    AK-47 OPERATOR - THE SAFETY

<snip>

Try this on the range with your AK. At Ready leave your thumb around the pistol grip, but extend the fingers toward the safety lever shelf. As you raise the rifle, lower the fingers. This should get the safety lever clear and the weapon ready to fire. Once the event is concluded, reverse the procedure.
    I don't see the difference in the graphics between AK-A.jpg and AK-B.jpg. What am I missing?

Thanks!

John W in SC

John,

The photos were taken when it was cold (as you can see). The gloves seem to hide alot.

Leave your thumb wrapped around the pistol grip and reach out to the safety lever shelf with your index and middle finger. Press them down to disengage the safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez
    John,

The photos were taken when it was cold (as you can see). The gloves seem to hide alot.

Leave your thumb wrapped around the pistol grip and reach out to the safety lever shelf with your index and middle finger. Press them down to disengage the safety.

Thanks, Gabe. I understood the instructions, but not the graphics.

I just take the safety off when I unsling or otherwise deploy. I do the same with an AR, and a 1911 when I unholster. I keep my finger on the frame until I'm ready to shoot.

I'll practice the method you describe. It may come in handy some day.

John W in SC

I've personally owned three AK-47 rifles and it is a truly a battle riflle. I would take my AR-15 in a three gun match. But I rather take my AK-47 in a combat because I can trust it with my life. As a member of Militia of Washington County, Arkansas, I choose AK-47 over my AR-15 as a combat rifle while I carry only Glock as my combat pistol.

AK-47 is really a true a Glock version of a combat rifle.

Pissing off a few liberals with my AK-47 is a nice bonus. Check out this link to at http://www.arkansasmilitia.com/video.htm to see a nice music
    video seeing a a AK-47 in action.

Gabe,

Being new to the AK that video answered some questions I had as far as recommended way of charging the rifle. Thank you. Who makes that battle bag?

Decado