The Suarez Method
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gomez
    Yeah, yeah...I got the pics in from my photographer yesterday. I'm working on layout this week and should have the entire package to the publisher by the end of the month.
    I'll be buying the book only if you sport the wonderful shirts I saw on TPI's PSP :D
    Numquam periclum sine periclo vincitur

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel
    Gabe,

A big +1 on your aprisal of what I would consider the Glock of the assault rifles.
    My thoughts exactly.

Chance favors the prepared. Fortune favors the bold.

+1 on the assessment of the AK platform. I also own an AK and this is after owning an AR. Frankly, I got a bit tired of the meticulous cleaning that was required and the frequent jamming. Bought the AK and after literally thousands of rounds, it has never failed to fire. And I've shot some junk ammo through it and it just keeps on firing. Is it as accurate as an AR? No way, but it never was intended to be a match rifle. I like to refer to the AK as an 'area denial weapon'. Also, it seems to be the luck of the draw at getting one that is accurate (as much as a 60 year old design can be). Some are just better than others. I was fortunate and got one that will easily hit a 8 inch steel plate at 200 yds, round after round. For an urban combat rifle, that is accurate enough for me.

If you don't have one, I'd recommend picking one up just for the fact that it really ticks off the liberals. And that is always a good thing. As with most of the surplus weapons available today, the fire control group seems to be the weak link. When I first fired mine, the disconnector was not right, and I emptied a 30 round magazine in less time than it took to read about it. Fortunately it was on a military range and all anyone wanted to know was 'can I try that too?. Replaced the trigger, hammer and sear and it's all good now. Crisp trigger pull and no more chance of a visit from the ATF (Washington state is a no Class 3 state). With a quality fire control group, you can easily bump fire it at full-auto rate, if you like that sort of stuff. Sometimes I do too. Can you hit anything? Only by pure luck. An AK firing at 400 to 500 RPM is not accurate but sure scares the locals. Not recommended at your local gun range.

IF the SHTF, I would not hestitate to take an AK with me. As the old saying goes 'Ten million peasants can't be wrong.' Providing you have enough ammo it would be a suitable weapon to take along. And it's dirt cheap to shoot. Only a .22 cost less per round.

Quote Originally Posted by BWayne
    Is there a basic manual online or elsewhere so one can learn how to at least load, fire, etc. the AK? Thanks.
    Not a manual, but I'e done a few PRE photo sets regarding running the AK.

The PRE PS index can be viewed Here

Take a look at PRE PS2, PS3 and PS6.

I am having a Krinkov in 7.62x39 made up. It will be long enough to avoid the SBR thing, but it should be very cool with the side folder.

Gabe, did I miss the review of that Rifleman's Go Bag you're sporting? I don't suppose I could talk you into doing a run of pics showing how you do a reload from the bag.

With my experiences with my Maxpedition bag as a rifleman's ready-bag, I'm leary about the practicality. Of course, that could just be because I was using the MP bag for a purpose it wasn't intended, and ran into the predictable snags.

Anyhow, I like the look. Just wish I could see more of the bag and how one operates from it. Thanks.
    When reason fails.....

V

I'll see what I can do with some pics.

The rifleman's bag is not as fast to work with as a dedicated chest rig, or mag pouch, but I'll bet you can't walk into a Starbuck's in California with a chest rig on.

As an experiment, I walked into a Strabucks to get my daily cup of double disgusting while carrying my rifle bag (I left my rifles in the car). I didn't get any looks.

The advantage here is a low profile package that is almost as good as anything else out there.

And now for the obvious question...does the bag accept AK mags? Are the pouches deep enough, or is it an AR mag (and similar mag)only deal? I like the looks of it, but wonder if it works w/ AK mags.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    Master Class IDPA Stock Service Pistol

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Quote Originally Posted by CRUEL HAND LUKE
    And now for the obvious question...does the bag accept AK mags? Are the pouches deep enough, or is it an AR mag (and similar mag)only deal? I like the looks of it, but wonder if it works w/ AK mags.
    And FAL/L1A1 mags as well.:)

CHL,

It does work with AK mags. The covering flap keeps them hidden and out of sight until needed.

When in Vegas, I was visiting with Jim Fuller and got to examine some of the 20 round AK mags. I really like how compact they make the rifle. An AK with a folding stock and a 20 round mag is a very compact piece of gear.