Red Dot School for $100
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast

Default AK Tactics and Techniques

At the recent class in L.A. we had one AK in the class. I must say that while conditions were not challenging at all (quite nice, mid 60s) many of the AR-type weapons suffered from various malfunctions. All were solved, but I noticed the AK did not stop. Its owner switched back and forth between the AK and an AR, but he could have done just fine by staying with the AK.

I think it is important for all Americans to at least be familiar with the operation and manipulation of the AK, if not be an AK owner. Why?

Because it is the most prolific combat rifle in the world.
    Because it is far more reliable than most other weapons.
    Because it is easily aquired everywhere (except California)
    Because the likelihood of coming across one is high.
    Because it will probably be what the bad guys choose to use.
    Because owning one or knowing how to use one infuriates the liberals.

The biggest mistake I see when guys come to class with an AK is they have been trained to use it like an AR-15. Listen carefully - the AK 47/74 weapon system is not an AR-15 and it does not need to be operated like one.

Operational/Manipulation Differences.

Grip of the rifle. Often we see guys shooting Assault Rifles as if they were 1903-A3 Springfields. They place the forened onto the support hand and allow it to "rest" there. This may be fine for long range unsupported shooting, but for in close CQB, you need to grab onto that weapon, lest you lose it, or lose control of it. Additionally, why would you place your support hand into a wrist lock? The best way we have found to use the magazine-fed rifles is by bringing the support hand back and using the juncture of the receiver and front of the magazine to grip the weapon.

With the AK this provides all of the advantages as with other weapons, and additionally insures the magazine is seated.

Use Of Safety/Selector Lever. With the AR the safety/selector is right there, thus an operator can flip it on or off as he pleases. The AK's lever is not so handy. But it was not designed to be used that way. The AK can be carried On Safe, and the disengagement of it must be a part of its reactive deployment. That is NOT a big deal. However, the weapon need not be "safed" until the fight or engagement is over. US mitary doctrine doesn't go along with this, but who is to say that US Military doctrine is the only way?

With the AK, carry it safety on, but if you anticipate needing to fire, or reactively need to fire, disengage the safety and leave it off until the fight is over.

This is best done with the fingers of the firing hand.

Clearing Stoppages. Clearing some stoppages with an AR can be challenging. With the AK it is as simple as reloading the weapon in most cases. No TAP need be done in the Tap Rack clearnaces, as a magazine not fully seated would simply fall out. Moreover, the hand placement we discussed will prevent this from happening.

If a tap rack fails to clear the problem, remove the magazine, rack the action and reload. No round will ever get trapped between the receiver and the gas tube, no bolt over base or other "mother-of-all-malfunction" situations. The weapon is "monkey simple".

The AK is a simple, rugged weapon that is intrinsically as accurate as you will ever need it to be for urban fighting. I suggest taking a long hard look at it as a viable weapon system for today's problems, and at the least, making it a point of additional study.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very good.
    If REALLY expecting to have to fire, leave the safety OFF and keep your bloody finger off the trigger.
    "Cocked and Unlocked" I hear some gasp .
    Yes, exactly. So what ?
    If you train well, it is no big deal.

A Glock has no safety. - Untill you stick you 'pinky' in the trigger guard, and squeeze the trigger, the pistol won't fire.
    Same thing here with an AK.
    Regards,
    Anthony.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death.
    We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
    And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly.
    Meet him as the proud warrior that you once were, and not as a sniveling coward.
    Nobody lives forever.

Even my H and K 93 jammed a few years ago at a rifle course. I suspect it might have had something to do with the 20 year old bullets I was firing.

I never had an M-16 jam during live fire during my 6 years in the Army. But of course I probably never fired more than 150 rounds straight before cleaning it.
    “This is a war and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at anytime, and in anyplace.” - Morpheus

"There are no silver medals on the world's mean streets." - CWS

Yep-i agree,maybe gabe will write a book or produce a video on the proper use of the Ak-47 for best effect.

Gabe, a quick non-AK question…

Is that a Blackhawk vest?

Quote Originally Posted by Cold War Scout
    Even my H and K 93 jammed a few years ago at a rifle course. I suspect it might have had something to do with the 20 year old bullets I was firing.

I never had an M-16 jam during live fire during my 6 years in the Army. But of course I probably never fired more than 150 rounds straight before cleaning it.
    I have fired about 400rnds of M855 ball without cleaning, and about just as many blanks in my M16A4 (Army Colt), and maybe 400-500rnds (Wolf) in my Bushmaster. I've never had a jam. But I gone more then a 1000rnds with my AK(SAR1) and it never jammed. Maybe someday I will do a test and see how much my Bushy can take.
    Last edited by AmericanWarrior; 03-08-2006 at 10:35 AM.
    "I am the punishment of GOD...
    If you had not committed great sins...
    GOD would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."

"The LION, which is mightiest amongst beasts... retreateth not before any. "

More boys carrying AKMs have been killed by boys carrying M16s than the other way around

Yes it is....a gift from One Source

Gabe,

A big +1 on your aprisal of what I would consider the Glock of the assault rifle. As a matter of fact I am heading out the door in 30 minutes to the range and do some work with a new Arsenal SLR105A1R:D.

I have had some trouble with the safety release, my damn thumb keeps wanting to click the fire switch like an AR. I am trying to train myself out of this. Would you recommend that one choose one weapon platform and stick withit rather than both AK and AR?

An AK DVD or class would be awesome!!!!
    I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. Sir Winston Churchill

While on subject of support gear, but not to hijack my own AK thread - here is a pic of the Rifle Bug Out Bag. I think it has more utility for the private citizen than a chest rig.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"I am the punishment of GOD...
    If you had not committed great sins...
    GOD would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."

"The LION, which is mightiest amongst beasts... retreateth not before any. "

More boys carrying AKMs have been killed by boys carrying M16s than the other way around

Would you recommend that one choose one weapon platform and stick withit rather than both AK and AR?

For best results - yes.