Default AAR Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting 1/24-25

I recently attended the SI AK rifle gunfighting course in AL. This two-day course was taught by Randy Harris. As is typical for late January, it was cold, wet and muddy, but as Randy liked to remind us through the weekend, "Sometimes it sucks to be you." First day began with introductions and Randy's lecture on the AK and all the variations available. We discussed gear selection, and options available for gear carry, such as chest rigs, warbelts, bags, etc. We moved outside, geared up, and with empty rifles began to learn weapon manipulations, safety,dry-firing drills,etc. Some drills are unique to the AK and Randy went over those for us. I should point out that there were five of us in class. Three ran standard pattern AKs and two of us had SIG 556Rs. We then proceeded with movement drills, again through dry-firing. Attachment 41679 This is my buddy Jay running one.

After lunch, we moved to the firing range to start practicing what we had learned so far. I will say, everyone was practically dialed-in, and we spent very little time confirming zeros and were able to jump right in to the training. Lots of positional shooting, and weapons manipulation. There is no square range mentality here, and that's a good thing. Randy was good about teaching us something, and then that lesson being a building block for the next thing to be upon. An upside to a smaller class is the speed of progression, and we were able to get further in the training than normal by the end of the first day.

Day two, I awoke and realized that there were muscles screamin' at me that I didn't even know I had We picked up where we left off the evening before. More movement while firing, getting off the X, and shoulder transitions. Randy worked with all of us, and made sure we could do this properly, and understand why we were doing it. SI AK, Grant & G.Pat 010.jpg The pace quickened, and we started incorporating more reloading, movement, situational awareness, into the drills. SI AK, Grant & G.Pat 014.jpg We moved barricades onto the range and began movement to cover firing drills. SI AK, Grant & G.Pat 019.jpg SI AK, Grant & G.Pat 021.jpgSI AK, Grant & G.Pat 024.jpg The culmination of our work and effort were the team drills we did on this second afternoon. No pics here, as we did all the drills together. It's a testament to the quality of training and the caliber of guys that took this class that I can say I felt safe moving and shooting in close proximity to one another. A camaraderie had developed, and putting what we had learned to use was enjoyable. Class pic: SI AK, Grant & G.Pat 030.jpg

This was my second SI class. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn to better run their AK platform weapon.

Takeaways: GET IN SHAPE !! I thought I somewhat was, but realized by the afternoon of TD1 that I wasn't. Have your gear ready. As stated, we saved a bunch of time by everyone being basically dialed in and ready to go. I've been in classes before (not SI) where the instructors have to work with sights, malfunctioning weapons, etc. That takes away valuable training time. My buddy's 556R was sluggish for the first couple of drills, but it was practically brand new with only a few rounds through it. Some lube and rounds downrange and it was good to go!!

Gear: bring it and use it. What works well on a sunny day standing up on a square range may not work on a cold nasty day, prone on the wet ground. You don't know until you know.

Finally, just do it !! Get the training when you can. It was over a two hour drive for us, and worth it. How many of you are closer than that to an SI class ? Check the SI schedule. It's not just the training, it's the mindset you'll be cultivating as well.
    TMCO 6/2013

AK Rifle Gunfighting 1/2015

CRG 2 6/2015

AK Armorer 4/2016

RGF 3 7/2016

Sorry to have missed that one it looks like it was fun. Like I always say...You wanna train with a Russian gun without a little Russian weather? The jungles of central Guyana had ahold of me until the 25th.
    Just because you cant imagine it doesnt mean I can't do it.

Most people are not looking for answers....they are looking for approval.

It was a great class. Informative and fun. Sounds like you WERE a little to busy to make the class Don't know where you are in TN, but Randy will be teaching a CRG class in middle TN June 27-28 at our range, about 50 miles south of Nashville:

http://www.suarezinternationalstore....x#.VOYxeubF8_M
    TMCO 6/2013

AK Rifle Gunfighting 1/2015

CRG 2 6/2015

AK Armorer 4/2016

RGF 3 7/2016