Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    So while the thread has been resurrected, might as well ask something I’ve been wondering about for a while. How important is velocity in 9mm? I have 1250fps as this “magic number” in my head, but does that really make a difference in the real world, over a load that does, say, 1125fps?

Along those lines, is there any REAL advantage in using the +P Federal HST loading over the standard pressure HST loading?

I have a proclivity to get a bit too wrapped up in chasing velocity for the 9mm, but I suspect it doesn’t matter as much as I think it does.
    - I am not in danger. I AM the danger.

- Keep your rifle by your side.

Before retirement, my agency used Federal Hydro Shock for all semi-auto pistols; 124 for 9, 180 for .40, and 230 for .45. Ammo was free and I made sure all my weapons functioned with them. After I retired, I refrained from theft and spent a fortune on a supply.

Good thing. During the current panic, there is little Hydra Shock around.

The Federal was effective then as it is now. I have no reason nor resources to change.

BTW, any of the tribe who has any to spare,. I'll trade for ball 2 for 1 (US).

-- ML

Quote Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
    Before retirement, my agency used Federal Hydro Shock for all semi-auto pistols; 124 for 9, 180 for .40, and 230 for .45. Ammo was free and I made sure all my weapons functioned with them. After I retired, I refrained from theft and spent a fortune on a supply.

Good thing. During the current panic, there is little Hydra Shock around.

The Federal was effective then as it is now. I have no reason nor resources to change.

BTW, any of the tribe who has any to spare,. I'll trade for ball 2 for 1 (US).

-- ML
    SGAmmo has 210 grain .45 Hydrashok right now at $1.80 a round.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by MesserMan View Post
    So while the thread has been resurrected, might as well ask something I’ve been wondering about for a while. How important is velocity in 9mm? I have 1250fps as this “magic number” in my head, but does that really make a difference in the real world, over a load that does, say, 1125fps?

Along those lines, is there any REAL advantage in using the +P Federal HST loading over the standard pressure HST loading?

I have a proclivity to get a bit too wrapped up in chasing velocity for the 9mm, but I suspect it doesn’t matter as much as I think it does.
    My POV.

Velocity is a factor...but so is bullet design. I like a good balance of the two, but will try to keep the velocity up there. In my street guns...there is only +p ammo.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

CFF9CB0C-1CB5-40DA-9431-34AE9C494A21.jpg
    That’s ranger t, pretty nasty looking stuff... Most ammo made for defense is similar, I wouldn’t want to get shot with any of that.... Just saying...
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Or should I say, would you rather shoot someone with something like that or ball because you are cheap??? I like maximizing all odds in my favor as possible....

Not that impressed with 147 gr Ranger T (standard velocity), gel tests notwithstanding. Dispatched several deer with it. What looked like perfect placement, head or body, always required a followup shot.

Small sample, all kinds of variables, I get it. And deer don't watch TV, and don't know they're supposed to drop instantly dead when you shoot them.

But I also had the odd malf here and there in a variety of pistols, with practice ammo and the HPs. At the time I had more or less unlimited free ammo.

So my MOTO take on it is: Make sure it works in your guns, and--to paraphrase Col. Cooper--this is why we shoot twice.

At least.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Not that impressed with 147 gr Ranger T (standard velocity), gel tests notwithstanding. Dispatched several deer with it. What looked like perfect placement, head or body, always required a followup shot.

Small sample, all kinds of variables, I get it. And deer don't watch TV, and don't know they're supposed to drop instantly dead when you shoot them.

But I also had the odd malf here and there in a variety of pistols, with practice ammo and the HPs. At the time I had more or less unlimited free ammo.

So my MOTO take on it is: Make sure it works in your guns, and--to paraphrase Col. Cooper--this is why we shoot twice.

At least.
    Couldn’t be said better....

Frank hammer carried a single action even when could have had something else because it was what he killed with and it never let him down.... Same goes for Dillinger and lots of others... Itís all about reliability and repeatability and confidence....

https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...sonal-defense/

Good ammo is available directly from Federal. I've don about a dozen orders they've all gone off without a hitch. I try to get to $150 to get free shipping.