Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Cabin

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF220 View Post
    I don't think whether or not having your name attached to a remote camp or cabin is relevant. If something big goes down in the country, unless you are some big political figure or someone of major importance to the operations of the country, nobody is going to look up your name and send a search party out to raid your camp. Besides, if the govt wants to find you, they will find you. You are on a list somewhere! To think otherwise is just plain foolish. However, loose lips sink ships. Keep your mouth shut to friends and family when acquiring your new place.
    There's more reason to not have your name on the property than concerns for "bugging out" of a catastrophic event in the city or "govt gonna getchoo". Much more realistically, suppose you get into a self-defense shooting and the deceased has friends and extended mafioso family that wants to short circuit the justice system. Sometimes, you just might want to lay low for a few days or weeks and let things blow over, or allow yourself some time to recoup and create plan B.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    There's more reason to not have your name on the property than concerns for "bugging out" of a catastrophic event in the city or "govt gonna getchoo". Much more realistically, suppose you get into a self-defense shooting and the deceased has friends and extended mafioso family that wants to short circuit the justice system. Sometimes, you just might want to lay low for a few days or weeks and let things blow over, or allow yourself some time to recoup and create plan B.
    Good point Winston....

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF220 View Post
    Good point Winston....
    Also, I have firsthand experience with a particular federal agency taking a few days to track down "Joe Average" who moved and actually updated his drivers license with the state DMV.

I can only imagine how long it would have taken if "Joe Average" actually applied some OPSEC. A few days may be all the jump you need in certain circumstances.

Bureaucracy at its best ...

T
    WOTU Since 2012

If things get so bad that people want to E&E the city, well, I'm going to be planning to E&E the region or country.

Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.
    I think Winston hit the nail on the head with this one.

Allen
    GFT.

Try to replace hardware with technique. Technique is free, lightweight, and cannot be lost.
    RGF- Greg Nichols-Milton, WI

bureaucracy at its best
    Amen brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I think Winston hit the nail on the head with this one.

Allen
    Thanks.

Off-topic: How in the world has Greg not manipulated you into adding "TWOTU" into your signature?

T
    WOTU Since 2012

OK at this point Im seeing TWO different views of this cabin. Some of you guys are talking about the hidden retreat that is never intended to be used until the End of the World or in the event of the Gummit Boyz looking for you AND some seem to be talking about a more temporary shelter, perhaps used for vacations or hunting and in the event of a calamity.

Personally Im less worried about a search for me by the gummit, on the assumption that someone will say he has that place in _______ and then its only a matter of time and enuf drones (and drone strikes), till they find me. I think a far more practical idea is a cabin, even if its just a steel shipping container, on a piece of property that you actually DO own; but in a free location. If near enough a run to your current home, you can make your legal residence the cabin and continue to live where you do now until your SHTF scenario and vacation/hunt there in between. Amenities can be as barren as necessary OR completely live in ready.

As your legal residence (in a REALLY Free State), you can continue to own and purchase items the NON Free states don't allow, because youll have a FREE STATE I.D. and address. Theres nothing wrong with having a home in one state and living in another, look at all the "Sun Birds".... My recommendation is having a big enough gas tank to reach it, even if it means extra jerry cans, then its only a matter of deciding when to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    OK at this point Im seeing TWO different views of this cabin. Some of you guys are talking about the hidden retreat that is never intended to be used until the End of the World or in the event of the Gummit Boyz looking for you AND some seem to be talking about a more temporary shelter, perhaps used for vacations or hunting and in the event of a calamity.

Personally Im less worried about a search for me by the gummit, on the assumption that someone will say he has that place in _______ and then its only a matter of time and enuf drones (and drone strikes), till they find me. I think a far more practical idea is a cabin, even if its just a steel shipping container, on a piece of property that you actually DO own; but in a free location. If near enough a run to your current home, you can make your legal residence the cabin and continue to live where you do now until your SHTF scenario and vacation/hunt there in between. Amenities can be as barren as necessary OR completely live in ready.

As your legal residence (in a REALLY Free State), you can continue to own and purchase items the NON Free states don't allow, because youll have a FREE STATE I.D. and address. Theres nothing wrong with having a home in one state and living in another, look at all the "Sun Birds".... My recommendation is having a big enough gas tank to reach it, even if it means extra jerry cans, then its only a matter of deciding when to visit.
    Or you could just live in a free state, and if you really must have an address in a non-free state ... there are ways to acquire an address without residing there.

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Or you could just live in a free state, and if you really must have an address in a non-free state ... there are ways to acquire an address without residing there.
    The "Cabin Idea" is so you can continue living where you do now. I know many of you guys have picked up and moved to free place BUT Im sure there are more of us that cant or aren't willing to leave jobs, family and homes that we currently have. To those of you who have moved, my hat is off to you; for the rest of us, a place to go is better than a no place at all. The cabin address makes some thing obtainable that aren't available in NON Free zones in addition to having a place to go

Thanks. Off-topic: How in the world has Greg not manipulated you into adding "TWOTU" into your signature?
    Anyone with Tu-Tu in their sig line is just, wait. Nev-err mind... :P
    It's a trick. Get an axe.