Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tarnish on my Gang Unit

I recently purchased the Gang Unit. I love it!! I carry it as a back up weapon. Since I have had it, I have noticed some tarnish on it where my thumb touches it. It appears to be a slight rust color. I normally carry it on a lanyard and tucked in behind my waist band. Not sure if contact with sweat has any thing to do with it.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how can I remove the tarnish?
    "Sometimes A Teacher; Always A Student"

Retired from teaching for the time being.

It's from your sweat. The salt gathers in the pores of the bead blasting and will cause discoloration. Wipe it down with CLP, etc occasionally and if you want to clean it, use a little CLP and some steel wool.
    "IN ORBE TERRUM NON VISI"

"LUCK FAVORS THE PREPARED"

"So I have to take my beret from my head, and put it in my heart. I'm not going to put it back on until the enemy has them by the throat. Not until I'm fighting for the Constitution of the United States of America."

To Train with John Chambers: CLICK HERE!

HRO-5: Terrorist / Active Shooter Interdiction - 1/23-24/2016

CRG-3: Advanced Gunfighting - 4/2-3/2016

RGF-3: Advanced Rifle Gunfighting - 5/21-22/2016

HRO-2: Rural Patrolling II - 10/1-2/2016

Quote Originally Posted by JLK Enterprises View Post
    I recently purchased the Gang Unit. I love it!! I carry it as a back up weapon. Since I have had it, I have noticed some tarnish on it where my thumb touches it. It appears to be a slight rust color. I normally carry it on a lanyard and tucked in behind my waist band. Not sure if contact with sweat has any thing to do with it.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how can I remove the tarnish?
    Sounds pretty weird... I can help you out by taking off your hands, so you don't have any concerns looming about the tarnish staining your hands or your belt line. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    ... John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by John Chambers View Post
    It's from your sweat. The salt gathers in the pores of the bead blasting and will cause discoloration. Wipe it down with CLP, etc occasionally and if you want to clean it, use a little CLP and some steel wool.
    That worked. Thank you.

Mine is the same way after a weekend of Team Tactics classes in rain and lots of sweat.

Not a big deal for me.

This is to be expected with both stainless and carbon steel blades that have a sandblasted finish. You have a couple of preventative options. In the old days I used to put Rain Dance or Turtle Wax car wax on my blued guns and knives. I have a couple of old Randalls that I cold blued and did the wax job ... sweat and gunk rolled off, had virtually no rust issues. Nowadays I use Marine Tuff Cloth and Tuff Glide; wipe down the gun or knife and it leaves a residue that lasts a good while. It's like anything else, you maintain your gear and your gear maintains you.

I just got a Gang Unit and a TSD Classic Bowie. The bowie is made of O-1, which has a rep for rusting when you look at it. I've wipe both knives down with Tuff Cloth. I may cold blue them just 'cuz I can.

If rust really becomes an issue and you can't stand it, get it Duracoated or Cerakoted. Or painted Krylon or Rustoleum.

Bottom line, don't baby it. Use it. Make it yours. Those stains and scratches and wear marks only make it more precious. At least that's been my experience.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

[QUOTE=JDoza;1667025]Sounds pretty weird... I can help you out by taking off your hands, so you don't have any concerns looming about the tarnish staining your hands or your belt line. :)

Thank you for your concern. :) I'm strong, though, and will make it through this minor challenge.

I'm not wise with metals so ya'll's help is greatly appreciated. Problem has been solved.

.......Or, get it cerakoted!

Ο τολμών νικά

How can you profit from the status quo, instead of complaining about it?

7.62x51, 5.56x45, .45acp, 9x19, .380acp

Dude wait to you get blood on it.... Just ask yourself this question: How do you tell the difference between beef jerky and human ears? Ears are saltier..

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Dude wait to you get blood on it.... Just ask yourself this question: How do you tell the difference between beef jerky and human ears? Ears are saltier..
    Hah!!!