Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    When I was very young I had a terrible fear of sharks. Nightmares. Cold sweat wakeups. No idea where it came from. This was long before that movie. Now we spent every summer Sunday boating in salt water, and I was a strong swimmer, but I was afraid to swim.
    I cured this by repeatedly swimming far enough offshore to make it impossible to get back if I got hit by a shark. And by staying out there until honor was served.
    Plenty of time to think about your decision when the people onshore look 1/8" tall.
    Still don't like sharks. But there are a lot more dangerous things to deal with on land.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:28

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    When I was very young I had a terrible fear of sharks. Nightmares. Cold sweat wakeups. No idea where it came from. This was long before that movie. Now we spent every summer Sunday boating in salt water, and I was a strong swimmer, but I was afraid to swim.
    I cured this by repeatedly swimming far enough offshore to make it impossible to get back if I got hit by a shark. And by staying out there until honor was served.
    Plenty of time to think about your decision when the people onshore look 1/8" tall.
    Still don't like sharks. But there are a lot more dangerous things to deal with on land.
    Not a huge fan of dealing with apex predators on their own turf. Swimming with sharks or crocks would be like hang gliding with pterodactyls, at least I have a fighting chance with a lion, tiger, or bear oh my.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Not a huge fan of dealing with apex predators on their own turf. Swimming with sharks or crocks would be like hang gliding with pterodactyls, at least I have a fighting chance with a lion, tiger, or bear oh my.
    A bear might even recognize you as one of its own.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    A bear might even recognize you as one of its own.
    So Fuzzy = Fozzie?

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

Vale et omnia quae.

As has been stated, the trick is to "just do it." You will mess up, due to fear, but if you keep going back, you get better and better.

Not all fear is physical (Sharks, heights) but all can be debilitating if you let them rule you. Public speaking, anyone?

It boils down to self confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by 45Smashemflat View Post
    As has been stated, the trick is to "just do it." You will mess up, due to fear, but if you keep going back, you get better and better.

Not all fear is physical (Sharks, heights) but all can be debilitating if you let them rule you. Public speaking, anyone?

It boils down to self confidence.
    Public speaking, absolutely. At some level I wonder if that's why, in a previous life, I became a trial attorney.

Vale et omnia quae.

I like public speaking and I will bet I can give an impassioned 20 minute speech on anything at all. In my early years I had a fear of heights. Well...I taught myself to rapell. I bought a rope and fashioned a harness out of tubular nylon...drove up to Stony Point in Chatsworth and off I went on the rope. No more fear of heights.

I don't thing DeBecker was right. Fear is not a gift...it is curse and you need to make it your bitch. You need not fear...others need to fear you. Go find what you fear...hunt it down...and kill it brutally and with gusto.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Public speaking, heights, sharks, killing... I only have experience with 1, but repetition is what builds confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bump for relevance
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Noladishu, Karjakistan (aka New Orleans, LA)
    Been a while since I read anything by DeBecker. I always interpreted him as saying that real fear was just the physiological response to potentially dangerous things and situations, but *being afraid* or *being fearful* is the chronic worrying, handwringing, vaginified frame of mind all too common today. Listening to intuition and gut feelings (our Spidey Sense) could be used to our advantage.

A lot of people get that gut feeling and chose to ignore it or minimize it, often for social reasons, like “I get a bad vibe from these youths, but I’m not gonna cross the street cuz people will say I’m (insert favorite -phobic or -ist, ie racist, sexist, etc).”
    "Mindset without skill is simply empty defiance, and skill without mindset is mere martial posturing." -GS

RP 1085